SIG P220SAS followed me home

This is a discussion on SIG P220SAS followed me home within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I went into a local gun shop today to look around, and there was a P220SAS sitting there on consignment that was in excellent condition. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I went into a local gun shop today to look around, and there was a P220SAS sitting there on consignment that was in excellent condition. It could've passed for being new if a person wasn't looking closely. Anyhow, the price was right on it, so I gave it a new home. This is my first Sig firearm, with most of my others being rugers and smith and wessons. So, I'd appreciate any input the Sig experts can give me on keeping this beauty in top shape.

Likewise, I'd appreciate some advice on good OWB holsters to look into as from what i've read this afternoon, the SAS option sometimes has fitment issues with certain holsters?

Here she is:IMAG0274.jpg

Thanks for the input!

Nice find! You think you like it now, just wait until you shoot it.

Sorry... I'm no help in the OWB holster department though. Good luck.

Congrats on a great find! I've always wanted a SIG, but seem to allow myself to be lured into other purchases.
    Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum ~ Μολών Λaβέ
    HK45c, Kimber Pro CDP II, Gen3 G19, Gen4 G19, Colt LE6920, Benelli SuperNova
    "In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing. The worst thing you can do is nothing." - Theodore Roosevelt

magazines for the 220 come in four iterations: original 7-rounders for the 220 in its Browning BDA incarnation (not very common and these won't have the cut-out for the left side mag release of the later versions), 7-rounders with a bare metal base plate - available in blue and stainless. these work just fine. the first 8-rounders (these are the ones to avoid, or at least be careful of) : they are marginally reliable when fully loaded with 8 rounds. they can be identified by having counter holes on the side for 8 rounds, and having a bare metal baseplate like the earlier mags. so far as i know, they work just fine when loaded with 7 rounds or fewer. finally the revised 8-rounders: these are only stainless (as far as i know), and have a black plastic baseplate which extends the total length of the mag by about 3/16ths of an inch. these work fine fully loaded with 8. all these comments assume undamaged magazines, of course.

i own five Sigs, and have sold/traded two others. of the five, i bought three new and two used. they are my favorite SD guns.

one cautionary note: in my past experience, Sig's repair department has been somewhat arrogant. "Sigs don't break/jam/malfunction. YOU must be holding it wrong; using bad ammunition; you didn't attend church last Sunday, etc., etc."

second cautionary note: i have found the Sig .22 semi-autos to be MUCH less reliable than the centerfire P-series guns.

i have not found the DA to SA transition to be a handicap at all. at the range, i almost always de-cock the gun after a string of shots (and the 'string' might be as few as one or two shots), so that i get plenty of experience with the DA trigger and the DA-SA changeover. in my last training class i had to draw and fire two shots from concealment at an IPSC target 10' away. the two shots (1st DA, 2nd SA) were .25 seconds apart in time, and about 1.5" apart in distance. Earnest Langdon won a national IDPA match shooting a DA/SA Sig against 1911's (yes, i know, they're normally in different classifications). if you own Rugers and Smiths, you have experience with DA/SA guns.

Jeff Cooper once said that the DA/SA gun, "was an ingenious solution to a non-existent problem." i (very respectfully) disagree.

holsters: i have no experience with SAS Sigs and what might, or might not, fit them, but after further thought, i cannot see why any P-220 holster wouldn't work for you. the SAS (Sig Anti Snag) treatment only REMOVES material, so far as i know. it doesn't ADD anything, anywhere, and if that's true, any holster which fits a plain 220, railed or not, should fit your SAS.

in leather, somewhat to my surprise, i have found i prefer the pancake-style holsters with FBI rake, to the 'Avenger' style with a tunnel loop and a trailing loop. you might well choose the opposite. my leather holsters are mostly Kramers. i like kydex holsters from Blade Tech and Comp Tac - both the paddle style and the belt loop style.

no special trick regards maintenance. what you're doing with your Rugers and Smiths should work just fine. i expect you'll really like the Sig. or perhaps i should say i'd be surprised if you DIDN'T like it. best of luck.
    Last edited by sensei2; June 7th, 2012 at 09:47 PM. Reason: adding SAS thoughts.

Nice Sig. I picked up a Sig P239SAS a month or so ago and love it. One things for sure, you will find yourself wanting more Sigs. I started with one and in the last two months added three more... My favorite is the P290; I liked it so much I had to have another so I got another.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Thanks for the input / comments so far. This particular 220 has the second rendition of the 8 round mags you mentioned sensei2. I'm sitting here now with the p220, my m&p9C and ruger sp101, and the more I look at the three, the more I think the P220 might do better in an IWB holster than I initially thought. At pretty much every location on the gun that would be between me and my waistband, the P220 is thinner than the m&p9C which I carry IWB quite frequently. I'm pretty wide bodied, so I don't think the extra grip length over the m&p9c would be all that big of a deal. Either way, IWB or OWB, i'm ready to get something coming for this beauty where we can spend more time together.

As for the DA/SA deal, I do shoot a lot with double action revolvers, so dealing with the DA trigger on the first round shouldn't really be an issue. I plan on making a trip to the range with it tomorrow to get some rounds through it. I've been away from 45acp stuff for a while now, but looks like its time to get those dies back out and put some practice ammo together!

And, Ranger45....I went to the gun shop looking for another AR15....left with the P220, so I understand the whole thing about getting distracted with other purchases.

An excellent buy. Now you need to call Sparks and order a holster worthy of that fine weapon. As you want OWB, I suggest a Milt Sparks 55BN. Horsehide, of course.

I just bought a P226 in 9mm used, my first Sig, wow they really do shoot great, I have been looking at P220's may I ask what you paid, in my area used ones are running $600-$750 used depending on options like night sights or the Short Reset Trigger SRT. Enjoy your Sig and give us a range report and your personal finding of likes and dislikes.

I have a P 220 Carry and it does not fit a standard P 220 holster. I have found one that I am very interested in as a result of watching Hickock 45's You Tube channel. You make up your own mind.

Patented Design

I was able to run two boxes of ammo through the P220 today. No hitches, hiccups, or hang-ups anywhere in the two boxes. I'm pretty sure that in two boxes of ammo this gun has won me over. I was able to pick up a galco concealable OWB to tote the sig for the short term while I get something nicer on order. I will have to get a few more boxes of ammo through the p220 before I carry it as I've got to get used to a couple of different things about it compared to my other carry guns. But man, what a shooter!

VIP Member
    Sweet looking pistol. the only Sig I own is the P238 and it is one sweet shooter.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Quote Originally Posted by msc8127 View Post
    I was able to run two boxes of ammo through the P220 today. No hitches, hiccups, or hang-ups anywhere in the two boxes. I'm pretty sure that in two boxes of ammo this gun has won me over. I was able to pick up a galco concealable OWB to tote the sig for the short term while I get something nicer on order. I will have to get a few more boxes of ammo through the p220 before I carry it as I've got to get used to a couple of different things about it compared to my other carry guns. But man, what a shooter!
    I do not have a P220 but I do own 5 other P guns. I predict that this will not be your last Sig. They are great shooters and absolutely reilable. Congrats on a nice 220. Enjoy!
    K9, Colt 3 5 7
    Colt Python 6",4", 2.5"
    Sig P225
    Sig P239 SAS/DAK
    Colt Diamondback
    Colt Trooper .357

It is VERY important to keep the alloy framed Sig well lubed with a GOOD grease. The following link will help to explain this.
    Lubrication of Sig Sauer pistol rails : Grayguns by Bruce Gray

Quote Originally Posted by sensei2 View Post
    magazines for the 220 come in four iterations: original 7-rounders for the 220 in its Browning BDA incarnation (not very common and these won't have the cut-out for the left side mag release of the later versions), 7-rounders with a bare metal base plate - available in blue and stainless. these work just fine. the first 8-rounders (these are the ones to avoid, or at least be careful of) : they are marginally reliable when fully loaded with 8 rounds. they can be identified by having counter holes on the side for 8 rounds, and having a bare metal baseplate like the earlier mags. so far as i know, they work just fine when loaded with 7 rounds or fewer. finally the revised 8-rounders: these are only stainless (as far as i know), and have a black plastic baseplate which extends the total length of the mag by about 3/16ths of an inch. these work fine fully loaded with 8.
    First I've heard of any problems with the 'early' 8-round mags; I think I got mine when they first came out. They don't get the heavy use that the 1911 mags do, but they get used enough, and so far without incident.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    First I've heard of any problems with the 'early' 8-round mags; I think I got mine when they first came out. They don't get the heavy use that the 1911 mags do, but they get used enough, and so far without incident.

see "The Complete Book of Handguns 2012" by Massad Ayoob, page 88.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links