Sub/Micro Compact Ambi/Southpaw Recommendation?

This is a discussion on Sub/Micro Compact Ambi/Southpaw Recommendation? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm a southpaw who loves/will only use full ambi guns b/c - among other reasons - I'm simply no good w/ right-handed guns. I currently ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Hruk

Thread: Sub/Micro Compact Ambi/Southpaw Recommendation?

Sub/Micro Compact Ambi/Southpaw Recommendation?

I'm a southpaw who loves/will only use full ambi guns b/c - among other reasons - I'm simply no good w/ right-handed guns. I currently have an M&P9c which I love but am looking for a smaller ambi firearm to pocket carry & more easily/comfortably conceal when wearing a suit.
    I'm thinking about the Beretta Nano but have gotten mixed opinions from dealers (an unreliable source, I know). Anyone have an opinion on the Nano or another ambi sub/micro compact firearm?

2. Remove Ads

J frame revolvers are about as left handed you can get
    msgt/ret likes this.

Have you looked at any of the Bersa's?
    --Jason--

Walther PPS?
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

Quote Originally Posted by Blades View Post
    Have you looked at any of the Bersa's?
    I wasn't going to say anything because the Bersa Thunder 9 UC Pro isn't a pocket pistol...being somewhere in between a Glock 26 and 19 in size. That being said, and since it has been mentioned, it is FULLY ambidextrous (more so than your M&P 9c) in every regard and is also an excellent handling and firing weapon. I bought one not too long ago and it has quickly jumped up my list as one of my favorite handguns ever. It's that good.

The mag release is the only thing that needs to be moved to make it fully lefty-friendly. It's a simple process.

I have no direct experience with the Beretta Nano but I did handle one. It seemed okay.

I also second the J-Frame suggestion, although it is technically not ambidextrous (cylinder release is on the left). I enjoy mine. Snubs do have a learning curve to be able to shoot effectively for most people, it seems. I find them to be easier to shoot, but less concealable than micro-pocket pistols chambered in .380-9, however.

I too have to wear suits to work, and my solution was a .380 pocket pistol, first the Ruger LCP and now the Taurus TCP which I have found to be superior. Unfortunately neither are ambidextrous...although the mag release can be flipped on the TCP I believe. Not the slide release, though.

If you do get a micro auto, I highly recommend installing a Pachmayr or similar slip on grip to help with grip and controllability. It helped my LCP and TCP a lot.
    An intruder will be incapacitated by tear gas or oven spray, but if shot with a .357 Magnum will get angry and kill you.

thanks for the feedback thus far. yeah, the Bersa & PPS are bigger than what i'm looking for to supplment my 9c. the only other micro-conceal i've seen that i liked other than the Nano was the Bodyguard 380 but, again, not a true ambi and it just leaves me fumbling.

i know i'm being particular but i choose to think of it as just staying w/ what works for me & that is true ambi firearms. Like I said earlier, I personally liked the Nano as far as size & features but have no experience w/ it & had gotten some bad feedback on it which had me questioning it. Maybe a Sig P938?

Quote Originally Posted by Bedrockk View Post
    thanks for the feedback thus far. yeah, the Bersa & PPS are bigger than what i'm looking for to supplment my 9c. the only other micro-conceal i've seen that i liked other than the Nano was the Bodyguard 380 but, again, not a true ambi and it just leaves me fumbling.

i know i'm being particular but i choose to think of it as just staying w/ what works for me & that is true ambi firearms. Like I said earlier, I personally liked the Nano as far as size & features but have no experience w/ it & had gotten some bad feedback on it which had me questioning it. Maybe a Sig P938?
    I have a BG380, and don't use the safety. It is a true double action, like a revolver. Why they put a safety on it is beyond me.

I have a Kimber Solo, which has an ambi safety. If I lay it on top of my BG380, they are the same, except the Solo is a tad thicker.

I fondled a Nano, and didn't like it, but, there are a lot of people that do. Everybody's hands are a little different.

Quote Originally Posted by RH45 View Post
    I fondled a Nano, and didn't like it, but, there are a lot of people that do. Everybody's hands are a little different.
    What didn't you like about the Nano? I was jazzed to pick one up until a dealer I know & who's opinion I respect gave me pause when he said he felt the gun feels like it was just cheaply made & didn't care for the feel in his hand. I haven't really found any other opinions from people raving about it.

I guess I really cannot describe what I didn't like about it.I think the balance & grip made it feel like a brick in MY hand.
    The Ruger LCP felt bad to me too, but thousands of other people like them too.

Links