This is a discussion on The XD-S within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Seeming how I picked this up today on my lunch hour this is the only pick I could get! I plan on updating the photos ...
Post By chammons
June 8th, 2012 05:22 PM
Seeming how I picked this up today on my lunch hour this is the only pick I could get! I plan on updating the photos when I get home with side by side comparisons with my other firearms, stay tuned!
Bought in Fayetteville, AR for $600.23 out the door
Ain't she purdy! :)
Went to the range this morning with 100rds of 230gr WWB (Winchester White Box) will full intent to shoot them all, seeming how I was fresh out of all JHP in .45 I will have to update again when I get a chance to shoot some JHP from it. I left my phone in the truck so i wasn't able to take any photos of grouping sorry fellas. after the first 25 rounds I had 3 FTE's in which I came to the conclusion that it was me limpwristing the XD-S and definately not the the guns malfunctions. Be WARNED this small little unit packs a big recoil you're going to have to practice alot at the range to get a grip you are comfortable with, it likes to move around alot in ones hand. But seriously? it's a .45 folks, what do you expect.
So, from round 26-100 I had finally gotten a little use to this beast and figured out a good grip for me, I did not have any malfunctions of any kind after getting a feel for it and every round went great.
The Pros- (this is my opinion only)
- I was skeptical at first with this small frame gun in .45 thinking it would be TOO hard to handle with my hands, After 25 rounds I had my grip the way I liked it and it absolutely loved all the ammo I fed it.
- I love the red fiber optic sight, at an indoor range with crappy lighting it was really bright, again should of got a photo :(..
- It looks like my feed ramp has been polished extremely well from the factory. I won't have to do it myself. YAY!
- Magazines are really easy to eject without having to mash the hell out of the release button. Full or Empty it's much better than my XD-M's
The Cons- (this is from my opinion only)
- I can't really comment on the trigger because I have 2 other XDM pistols that I shoot frequently and they are equipped with PRP Triggers @ 3.5 and 4.5lbs. In my opinion ONLY I hate the trigger time and reset, but again PRP Triggers are top notch in my book and when they become avail for the XD-S it shall have one as well. So, I guess this really isn't a con in general, but it is for ME ONLY.
- I would like to see a larger Slide Stop Release for me with medium hands it's tough for me to find it. (will probably fix with time at range).
Again, it was only 100rds but, I honestly don't think I will find much of anything else, unless the JHP prove to have a problem loading, I also seen a question about pocket carry in this thread from earlier. I did have cargo shorts on today, and this pistol is NOT a pocket pistol in my opinion, but I'm against carrying a sidearm in a pocket anyway that is where car keys go.
This gun Rocks!
Last edited by chammons; June 9th, 2012 at 01:42 PM.
June 8th, 2012 05:22 PM
June 8th, 2012 05:25 PM
Congrats! It's on my short list...
June 8th, 2012 05:34 PM
just played with one at my local GS. Springfield did this one right. Outstanding feel and trigger is soooooo much better than my regular XD's. A whole bunch smaller than my G36. I predict a winner for Springfield with this offering.
Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.
June 8th, 2012 09:15 PM
You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku
June 8th, 2012 09:42 PM
Been waiting for that to hit the gun shops,let us know how it shoots.I intend to take a close look at this pistol if it is as reliable as the larger XD models i will be interested.I intend to put off purchase for quite awhile .I just purchased two revolvers and i want to wait till springfield offers extended grip/capacity mags for it.
The easy way is always mined.
June 8th, 2012 09:54 PM
The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
June 8th, 2012 10:33 PM
How's that fit in cargo shorts?
June 8th, 2012 11:25 PM
Yowzah! Can't wait for the comparison pics!
June 9th, 2012 10:07 AM
Congrats. Been wanting to get my hands on one as well. It will be my next .45 if all goes well.
Look forward to more info after range time.
June 9th, 2012 01:44 PM
Search tags for this page
xd s pistols
Click on a term to search for related topics.