Handgun suggestions for a small, older woman. ??? - Page 2

Handgun suggestions for a small, older woman. ???

This is a discussion on Handgun suggestions for a small, older woman. ??? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by CZRex now that's some funny crap right there! I wonder if he's got anyone in particular in mind????? Seriously though, how small ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Handgun suggestions for a small, older woman. ???

Quote Originally Posted by CZRex View Post
    now that's some funny crap right there! I wonder if he's got anyone in particular in mind?????

Seriously though, how small and how old? My wife is a 5'1", 105 lb, 54 yr old blue eyed babe and she had an LCR 357 (loaded with .38s) that she had no problem with. The trigger pull on the LCR is probably the lightest trigger pull you're gonna find on a revolver. They also make an LCR .22 that holds 8 or 9, but.....it's only a .22. Yes, a .22 has killed plenty of folks. Based on my and my wife's experience and opinion, I'd suggest the LCR.
    If the choice is a revolver, based on trigger pull ( and personal experience) I'd say this is 100% good advice. But the .38, not the .357.

VIP Member
    I think you gave too little info about things like your wife's stature, age, health, strength,
    agility, willingness to practice, prior experience with semi-auto or revolver.

With almost no info to go on yet getting the point that you want an easy to use
    small and light weapon, here comes a suggestion for which I will be severely
    criticized; and it is pricey for what it is. But here goes--Model 351PD .22 Magnum.
    Let the flames begin.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

you mentioned home defense. I think a revolver is a great option but if it's not going to be carried, then I'd suggest something a little bigger than a snub. a little more weight and a little longer barrel. like a S&W model 67 or longer barreled Ruger SP101.

Used Smith and Wesson Model 10 38SPL 3" $299.00 SHIPS FREE

Used Smith and Wesson Police Trade-In Model 10 38sp 3" Barrel, .. in my humble opinion a bonafide winner for this particular need.

If this is a home defense weapon, why all the pocket pistol suggestions? Small lady shouldn't equal small gun. Assuming it won't be carried, I would argue exactly the opposite; the smaller the person, the larger the gun should be to soak up recoil more effectively (not to mention greater capacity) Larger guns will also have easier to operate slides than their smaller counterparts. If concealment is not an issue, why would you choose a small .380 over a big 9mm? Something like a Sig p226 or even as large as a glock 34 will be absolutely tame in 9mm, and I know from first hand experience that a 50+ year old woman weighing less than 90lbs can rack the slide on both of those weapons
    Kilowatt3 likes this.

Great points brought up across the discussion. Please let the forum know what you decide to purchase and how she likes it.

Quote Originally Posted by mbroadway View Post
    I'm not sure a revolver would be the best option for her. But I'm trying to get some suggestions on what might be a good, small handgun for her to use in case I'm not home and something happens and she needs to defend herself.

Give me your best suggestions on something suitable for a small, older woman.

Thanks.
    My suggestion is not a handgun. However it appears she needs something for home defense in your absence. Did you ever consider a shotgun.

http://www.mossberg.com/images/Mossb.../New/52133.jpg

Caliber 12 gauge 3"
    Capacity 5+1
    Barrel 18.5" Stand Off
    Stock Synthetic Shortened (12.75" LOP)
    Overall Length 37"
    Weight 6.88 lbs
    Front Sight white dot
    The Firearm Blog » Mossberg 500 Thunder Ranch Shotgun
    NH_Esau likes this.
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    My wife is a little 70 year old lady with weak hands. She loves her P238. She couldn't pull the trigger on her snubby and keep the gun pointed near the target.

She shoots the P238 remarkably well well, has no problem with the manual of arms. Can load, unload, and clear it with the safety on, clear jams and stove pipes just fine. I loaded up some light loads that will jam or stove pipe to give her practice after doing it with dummy rounds. The P238 is probably the best little old lady gun on the planet.

Take her to a store, have her handle the P238. My wife wouldn't let go of the gun.

Fitch
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety), by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.” by H. L. Mencken

I've gotta say a small gun for a relatively weak person is just not a good idea. A small gun is gonna have a lot of felt recoil. Can you say "dropped gun"? I'd suggest a full size gun for home use. The added weight is a plus in this case. Now I'm not saying go out and buy the biggest or heaviest gun you can find. But you can find a happy medium.

Oh yeah, let Momma pick it out. You will be wrong no matter which one you choose! Take her to the gun shop and let her browse!
    Question Everything!

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GreyGhost View Post
    I've gotta say a small gun for a relatively weak person is just not a good idea. A small gun is gonna have a lot of felt recoil. Can you say "dropped gun"? I'd suggest a full size gun for home use. The added weight is a plus in this case. Now I'm not saying go out and buy the biggest or heaviest gun you can find. But you can find a happy medium.

Oh yeah, let Momma pick it out. You will be wrong no matter which one you choose! Take her to the gun shop and let her browse!
    I'd venture to say you've never shot a P238.

My wife picked that gun. She doens't want anything to do with my Glock 19. That said, her home defense gun is a 6" S&W 686 eqipped with a CT grip. She thinks our 4" GP100 is okay, but she likes the 6" 686 the best of all of them. She's never fired a full up .357 Magnum load in either gun.

Fitch
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety), by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.” by H. L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by mnaylo3 View Post
    If this is a home defense weapon, why all the pocket pistol suggestions? Small lady shouldn't equal small gun. Assuming it won't be carried, I would argue exactly the opposite; the smaller the person, the larger the gun should be to soak up recoil more effectively (not to mention greater capacity) Larger guns will also have easier to operate slides than their smaller counterparts. If concealment is not an issue, why would you choose a small .380 over a big 9mm? Something like a Sig p226 or even as large as a glock 34 will be absolutely tame in 9mm, and I know from first hand experience that a 50+ year old woman weighing less than 90lbs can rack the slide on both of those weapons
    Very well said!

Within reason, the bigger the better, except for carry. My wife's HD guns are a 4" .357 Mag loaded with .38's, and a full-sized M&P 9. Manages the recoil from either with no problem. Ease of racking the slide was one of the drivers for getting the M&P. I've got several .380's, but none are as easy to rack as the full-size M&P 9.

She favors a .38 snub when carrying around the 'farm', but she won't shoot it much.

Regards,
    Jim

VIP Member
    [QUOTE=GreyGhost;2284462]I've gotta say a small gun for a relatively weak person is just not a good idea. A small gun is gonna have a lot of felt recoil. Can you say "dropped gun"? '

That's why I suggested the .22 Magnum revolver. You get simplicity, light weight without recoil issues, 7 or 8 shots (can't recall),
    SA option by thumbing the hammer. Yes, it is sub-optimal for defense, but still far better than nothing, or something she can't
    handle or won't practice with. The PMR 30 someone suggested might work if she can handle the slide.

On a full size semi-auto, you get very little felt recoil from a G17, but then the slide and weight might be issues for her.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    Hopyard, its 7 rounds and i also suggested the 351pd back post #5
    no one picked up on it than either.

~we think its a good idea
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

I can only comment on the two I own (not the hubby's...mine). I have a Ruger SP101 revolver and a Ruger LCP (raspberry/black colored). With the revolver there is not problem with the slide but a draw back for me is the weight. After borrowing the hubby's LCP for a shopping trip...I was in love. He got me the raspberry LCP for Valentine Day (that guy knows how to buy a present). I worked with the slide and it is not difficult for me. I have a old injury that makes my index finger on the left hand not functional for many things, so that was a consideration.

I would say the best thing would be to find a range where she can fire and inspect the weapons you think might be suitable. You really can't be fully satisfied by buying a "pig in a poke" and with the expense of good weapons hands on is the only way to go. Since it is for her....her hands on.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by claude clay View Post
    Hopyard, its 7 rounds and i also suggested the 351pd back post #5
    no one picked up on it than either.

~we think its a good idea
    Sorry, didn't mean to steal your idea. Yes, we both think its a good idea. Probably no one else on the board would agree with
    us.
    Andrew Jackson

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links