Handgun suggestions for a small, older woman. ???

This is a discussion on Handgun suggestions for a small, older woman. ??? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My wife isn't the strongest person in the world, so she would have difficulty racking a slide with a strong spring. I'm not sure a ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Handgun suggestions for a small, older woman. ???

Handgun suggestions for a small, older woman. ???

My wife isn't the strongest person in the world, so she would have difficulty racking a slide with a strong spring. I'm not sure a revolver would be the best option for her. But I'm trying to get some suggestions on what might be a good, small handgun for her to use in case I'm not home and something happens and she needs to defend herself.

Give me your best suggestions on something suitable for a small, older woman.

Thanks.

2. Remove Ads

TCP

My wife has a TCP with pink frame. For the cost it's a nice pistol and trigger pull is preferred over my LCP.
    Philly Boy likes this.

VIP Member
    snubbie loaded with .38 special
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

I would strongly suggest the Sig P238. It has the lightest, easiest to move slide I've ever experienced (many have noted that feature), and, if loaded with the correct defensive ammunition, it will do any job she's likely to have to take on. Recoil is simply a non-factor. It's also very light and quite small. The only things you will have to train her for are the external safety (which may in fact raise her confidence level) and carrying or storing in condition one, and not fainting when she hears the price.

IMO, snubbies, while favored by many, are a great deal harder to shoot well than a .380 with real night sights like the P238 (I question whether she'd want to put enough range time in to become proficient with one) and as a general rule (and in my experience) have much sharper recoil than the P238. One hates to make blanket statements, but I think I'm pretty safe with those.

The REAL problem is that you'll take the P238 for yourself (as many husbands have done) and will then have to buy another one for her.
    gottabkiddin and Fitch like this.

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    baretta tip up barrel or a S&W 351pd
    Be aware, be deliberate in your actions and be accurate.
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

Quote Originally Posted by mbroadway View Post

Give me your best suggestions on something suitable for a small, older woman.

Thanks.
    Nearly any caliber should be sufficient to stop a small, older woman. Even if she's on drugs.

You stated why she would possibly have difficulty with a semi-auto. What is the basis of why she would have trouble with a revolver?
    Is she going to be carrying it or will it be a home defense gun?

Sent from this... Using that...

I will echo the pilot. My wife broke her left wrist a few years ago and we have tried many, many guns. The very best for her is the Sig P238. It is the easiest by far for her to run the slide, yet it feels very substantial for a small pistol. We are very please with it. Her other easy gun to run (salute to Mr. Hawk Glock ) is a Ruger LCR .38 special. It shoots extremely well and as a revolver, there are no slide problems. The Sig is more comfortable for her to carry and also has the advantage of a faster reload compared to the LCR. Give the Sig a try and I'm sure she will be very pleased.
    Philly Boy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by AmericanMan View Post
    My wife has a TCP with pink frame. For the cost it's a nice pistol and trigger pull is preferred over my LCP.
    I agree with you there...my TCP is very nice and I much prefer it in every respect over my LCP. BUT, it should be noted that the micro .380s are a handful. I let my mom shoot my LCP once and it beat her hands up...she was bruised for days!

Definitely give them a look, though. She has an LCP that she carries because she likes the size. She liked my TCP better (HATES the trigger on the LCP) but the slide spring was too strong for her to rack.

I'd like to throw in a suggestion for a full weight S&W J-frame, like this Model 10 snubnose:

Since your wife won't be carrying this pistol (right?) you could also consider a larger revolver which she could use if it's not too heavy for her, such as a Model 10 with a longer barrel or a Model 19 like this:

The longer barrel and extra weight will help with recoil and accuracy.

But if small is the dealbreaker, I'd say go with a full weight J-frame like the Model 10 snub. The weight will help a ton with recoil and won't beat her hands up.

Don't get me wrong, I love my TCP...but it is a handful. If you do go the small auto route a Pachmayr or similar slip on grip is highly recommended.
    An intruder will be incapacitated by tear gas or oven spray, but if shot with a .357 Magnum will get angry and kill you.

Quote Originally Posted by 380ACP View Post
    I agree with you there...my TCP is very nice and I much prefer it in every respect over my LCP. BUT, it should be noted that the micro .380s are a handful. I let my mom shoot my LCP once and it beat her hands up...she was bruised for days!
    Those revolvers are really nice guns. I would point out, though, that the LCP and the Sig P238 are worlds apart when it comes to recoil and overall "feel". In fact, you might want to try one for yourself sometime if the opportunity presents itself. That said, there is certainly no one "right" answer to the OP's question, and many possibilities.

Quote Originally Posted by OldBoldPilot View Post
    Those revolvers are really nice guns. I would point out, though, that the LCP and the Sig P238 are worlds apart when it comes to recoil and overall "feel". In fact, you might want to try one for yourself sometime if the opportunity presents itself. That said, there is certainly no one "right" answer to the OP's question, and many possibilities.
    Very true. I should note, I don't consider the P238 to be a micro .380. I meant more along the lines of the TCP and LCP.

The P238 is a sweet shooter for sure. If the OP isn't feeling the revolvers, the P238 is a fine choice.
    An intruder will be incapacitated by tear gas or oven spray, but if shot with a .357 Magnum will get angry and kill you.

i worked as a salesman in a gun store for about six years, and i've given this matter a great deal of thought.

1. semi-autos: can she rack the slide relatively easily? as earlier posters have said, try the Sig 238. or go with a Beretta with a tip-up barrel as another suggested and bypass the problem altogether. the problem with the Beretta's is that the ones with tip-up barrel have no extractor, so getting a dud round out of the chamber will take some time.

2. semi or revolver: can she reach the trigger easily? can she press the trigger easily? on a J-frame or P238, i wouldn't expect the first to be a problem, nor should trigger press be a problem with the single action Sig. with the revolver i have two suggestions: if the DA trigger is too much for her: a. learn to shoot it like a single action revolver. have her cock the gun with her off hand thumb before every shot. this will bring the trigger closer to her, and reduce the force needed to fire the gun. with practice, this can be very fast. watch the top SASS shooters sometime. OR, b. if her fingers are narrow enough, have her fire the gun using BOTH index fingers on the trigger.

3. if you go with the Sig (or any semi-auto), teach her the malfunction clearance drills and have her practice them until they're automatic. this will be trickier with a Type 3, or Double Feed malfunction if you have a Beretta with tip-up barrel. (no extractor)

4. with the Sig, or any gun with a manual safety, my recommendation is that she be taught to disengage the safety immediately, but to keep her finger off the trigger until she needs to shoot. the chance of an AD with a light trigger (indeed, with any gun) is very real, but i worry more about the gun NOT going off when she needs it to. i would certainly not protest if you chose otherwise on this point.

5. if you decide on a J-frame, go with an all steel gun, and get a 3" or 4" barrel. S&W used to make a stainless steel 3" J-frame with adjustable rear sight and a fiber optic front sight. imo, this would be perfect. you may need to experiment with different grips to find the ones she likes the best. i would lean towards grips that allowed all three non-trigger fingers on the grip. (in other words, NOT Boot Grips)

6. resist the temptation to load the most powerful rounds (in the J-frame). give her standard pressure rounds. imo, go with MagSafes if you want the maximum stopping power with minimum recoil.

7. be certain she is willing to shoot a human being before arming her. the WILLINGNESS to use deadly force, clearly communicated to the bad guy(s), is what she MUST have. as one writer said, "They're not going to ask to see your 'Expert' qualification. All they need to know is that you've got a gun and you're just aching to use it. No one wants a slug in the guts, even if it got there by accident."

8. above all, remember that you are getting a gun for HER. YOU may think that the Acme Whiz Bang Death Ray is the without-a-doubt the BEST self defense gun in the world, but if she doesn't like it, she won't practice with it, and she probably won't have it if/when she ever really needs it.

p.s: almost forgot: an unusual option: IF it fits her, and you can find one, consider the Kel-Tec PMR-30. a lightweight, not too expensive .22Mag semi-auto, with a 30 round magazine capacity. loaded with Remington 40 grain PSP or the new Hornady Critical Defense rounds, she shouldn't have to reload during any unpleasantness, and the recoil should be negligible. not a gun for concealed carry, though. and the magazines must be carefully loaded - hide your man card, and read the instructions!
    Last edited by sensei2; June 10th, 2012 at 02:45 AM. Reason: adding p.s.

Sorry (good thread) but I don't know what a TCP is.
    BA
    Kahr CM9, Beretta PX4 SC .40, Ruger LCP/LM, Dan Wesson .357, Beretta 21A .22, Four Aces .22, H&R .22, Marlin .22 rifle and Remington 12 gauge.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick62 View Post
    Nearly any caliber should be sufficient to stop a small, older woman. Even if she's on drugs.
    now that's some funny crap right there! I wonder if he's got anyone in particular in mind?????

Seriously though, how small and how old? My wife is a 5'1", 105 lb, 54 yr old blue eyed babe and she had an LCR 357 (loaded with .38s) that she had no problem with. The trigger pull on the LCR is probably the lightest trigger pull you're gonna find on a revolver. They also make an LCR .22 that holds 8 or 9, but.....it's only a .22. Yes, a .22 has killed plenty of folks. Based on my and my wife's experience and opinion, I'd suggest the LCR.

Quote Originally Posted by bandrich View Post
    Sorry (good thread) but I don't know what a TCP is.
    Taurus TCP, .380 pocket pistol.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links