Diamondback 380...my sad sad sad story continues... #4%sh*&@!!!

This is a discussion on Diamondback 380...my sad sad sad story continues... #4%sh*&@!!! within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My Diamondback 380 was returned to me in December from a factory repair. They had to correct a major stovepipe issue, which they resolved by ...

My Diamondback 380 was returned to me in December from a factory repair. They had to correct a major stovepipe issue, which they resolved by replacing the extractor and some springs. I just joined a local Gun Club and took the DB with me to see if the issue had been corrected. Needless to say, it has been sitting since December, certainly had no faith in it to carry it, so I cleaned and lubed it up for the range.

First 2 magazines fired without fail. I just loaded 6 in each magazine, no topping off with one more in the chamber, just to see how she ran. Not a single stovepipe! 12 bangs in a row! I am starting to get enthusiastic! Load magazine #3 and get one bang, ejects cleanly...then click.

No bang. Just silence. I wait about 45 seconds, eject the round and see a nice dimple in the center of the round. Must have been a dud. A brand new box of Remington 95 grain ball, and a dud? rack the slide to chamber a new round and Bang! Ejects cleanly and Click. What? Another failure to fire? Eject the round, another pretty solid dimple in the center but no bang, so I empty the magazine and pull another box of Remington 95 Grain ball. Load up the magazine and Click. This time can't hardly see a dimple in the center. Eject the round and try again: click. A total of 8 failures to fire of the Remington from 2 factory boxes.

SO I bring out the box of steel cased Tula 91 grain factory ammo. Click. Click. Clickity-click. 5 rounds in a row. Nothing. Go back to the end of the 2nd box of Remington after I thoroughly clean the gun on the range table: click. Click. Click. Nothing. 13 consecutive failures to fire, using brand new factory ammo from 2 different makers...anyone want to figure the odds on that? Close to 20 in total, but 13 consecutive.

So, I am waiting for Diamondback to send me yet another return label so they can see what the problem is this time. Got it all boxed up and ready to go....and wishing I never wasted the time and money on this total piece of crap. Baby Glock? yea....No. Not even close. At this point, I would have better results throwing the loaded gun at a bad guy. I certainly won't trust it to go Bang if I pulled the trigger.

I figure it will take about 6 weeks to get it back, based on the last return trip: if anyone wants a deal on a factory-fresh DB380 with about 300 rounds of ammo and a few holsters, let me know. I will have it ready for you.

My Diamondback days are done.

Sorry to hear you're having trouble with your Diamondback. I've never owned one, but have handled both the 380 and the 9 at different times and they seemed nice enough, but I wasn't willing to buy because I was completely unfamiliar with the brand.
    An intruder will be incapacitated by tear gas or oven spray, but if shot with a .357 Magnum will get angry and kill you.

Don't give up man... they'll make it right.

Distinguished Member Array AZJD1968's Avatar
    Sorry to hear your troubles. Good luck.
    Stop whining and go do something that makes a difference!
    If you think that I may be talking to you, then I am.

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    Makes a good gun for 'roulette'...

I'm sure they'll get everything worked out. Give them a chance- they did just replace a lot of stuff, maybe they got a bad spring, or put the wrong one in. Stuff happens, and it's sometimes not too difficult to fix.
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

I've heard a lot of good things about Diamondback... it could be that you just got a lemon. See if they will send you a replacement.
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

If you tried that many different types of ammo with the same result, Dimple in the primer but no bang,I would suspect the firing pin spring or striker spring,whatever the case may be with that gun. That many different rounds can't be bad,its not striking them with enough force.

My opinion only:

1. TulaAmmo has very hard primers even my other guns such as Springfield XD and Sig P229 have a hard time setting them off.
    2. Most of the times these small guns hate the cheap range ammo stuff. Try and purchase a box of some premium SD rounds such as Winchester PDX or similar and see if they fire. If not then, send it back to Diamondback and if you are willing to have them fix it and then try again or sell it when it gets back from them.

I hope this helps. God Bless

Links