Gen 4 Glock 34.

Gen 4 Glock 34.

This is a discussion on Gen 4 Glock 34. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just read the Gun Test article that reviewed the Gen 4 Glock 34. I thought when I bought my 19 I had the perfect ...

Thread: Gen 4 Glock 34.

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar

Gen 4 Glock 34.

I just read the Gun test article that reviewed the Gen 4 Glock 34. I thought when I bought my 19 I had the perfect home defense gun, but this new 34 sounds like something I want to try out. It has a rail on the frame so it can have the laser light on it which I regard as mandatory in an HD gun most likely to be used at night. A better trigger - the Gun test crew said they shot it better with the new more crisp 6lb trigger than they did their Gen 3 gun with the 3.5 to 4 lb trigger.

I really liked what they had to say about it. I'm seriously considering moving one of these into replace the 19 the bedside safe. Any of you have hands on experience with one of these?

Thanks
    Fitch
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety), by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.” by H. L. Mencken

Absolutely love my Gen 3 G34. Great balance, extremely easy to shoot accurately.
    Glock 34.jpg

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Fitch View Post
    I just read the Gun test article that reviewed the Gen 4 Glock 34...It has a rail on the frame so it can have the laser light on it which I regard as mandatory in an HD gun most likely to be used at night.
    All gen 3 and gen 4 Glocks, except for the subcompacts have rails.

...A better trigger - the Gun test crew said they shot it better with the new more crisp 6lb trigger than they did their Gen 3 gun with the 3.5 to 4 lb trigger. ...
    I have no idea what they mean by that. The G34s and G35s have always come with a 3.5# connector. All other Glocks (gen 3s) have come with a 5.5# connector.

The new gen 4s, except for the G34 & G35 come with dot connectors. The dot connectors are close in pull weight, right at 2.5 oz more than a 3.5# connector. So the new dot connectors are much closer to the 3.5# connectors than they are to the 5.5# connectors. But, be that as it is, the G34/35 gen 4s come with a 3.5# connector

My G34 Gen 4 came with the "-" (minus) connector which is the 3.5# connector Glock has always used in the G34s. All the other gen 4 Glocks (with the exception of the G35) come with a dot connector.

...I really liked what they had to say about it. I'm seriously considering moving one of these into replace the 19 the bedside safe. Any of you have hands on experience with one of these?
    Can't argue with the logic of moving from a 19, a very good gun as well BTW, to a G34, especially the gen 4. I bought my G34 for similar reasons, plus kind of a SHTF gun. The connector/trigger isn't an issue for me because I install Ghost Rockets in all my Glocks. However, if I could buy a dot connector, and I can't, as I understand it not even dealers can buy dot connectors, I'd be putting dot connectors in all my Glocks - I like them that much.

However, it's a bit more difficult to rationalize the G34 over a G17. You gain a bit of sight radius due to the longer barrel, but you get little or no proportional muzzle weight that would reduce recoil lift, because the G34 has a big slot cut in the top of the slide.

It's kind of a tough call for me between the G17 and G34. The G17 is no small gun, but the G34 is even more difficult to conceal, if one wishes to carry it concealed, and I'm not sure what you really gain. The G34 costs more and for the difference in price you could buy a G17 gen 4, it will have a dot connector in it, and it will be pretty much the same trigger pull weight as the G34, except it's crisper.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

Quote Originally Posted by Tangle View Post

It's kind of a tough call for me between the G17 and G34. The G17 is no small gun, but the G34 is even more difficult to conceal, if one wishes to carry it concealed, and I'm not sure what you really gain. The G34 costs more and for the difference in price you could buy a G17 gen 4, it will have a dot connector in it, and it will be pretty much the same trigger pull weight as the G34, except it's crisper.
    Exactly what I was going to say, you beat me to it. I have a gen 4 G19 and gen 4 G26, both with dot connectors. It a much better trigger feel and a better break. I actually like the balance of the G17 better vs the G34. With the improved grip and mag release, I don't see enough value in the G34 anymore. I often appendix carry and the G34 is out of the question for me for that.
    Bob Mayne
    HandgunWorld Podcast
    www.handgunworld.com
    Suarez International Instructor

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HandgunWorld View Post
    Exactly what I was going to say, you beat me to it. I have a gen 4 G19 and gen 4 G26, both with dot connectors. It a much better trigger feel and a better break. I actually like the balance of the G17 better vs the G34. With the improved grip and mag release, I don't see enough value in the G34 anymore. I often appendix carry and the G34 is out of the question for me for that.
    Can the dot or dimpled connector be installed in a Gen 3?

Thanks
    Fitch
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety), by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.” by H. L. Mencken

I carry a 19 and compete with a 34 and 17. All my Glocks are gen 3 and I have no experience with the 4 except dry firing other people's guns. I would not not spend money just to replace your nightstand gun. If you are thinking about competing in some practical games, I'd say a 34 would be fine. If you just want another gun, a 17 would probably be a better all around buy. Just a FYI... My 19s and 17 will all group better than my 34. The difference in the reciprocating weight between the 17 and 34 is negligible.

Can the dot or dimpled connector be installed in a Gen 3?

Thanks
    Fitch
    Yes it can, but good luck getting one that doesn't come with the gun.
    Bob Mayne
    HandgunWorld Podcast
    www.handgunworld.com
    Suarez International Instructor

Sponsored Links