Desert Tan P238.

Desert Tan P238.

This is a discussion on Desert Tan P238. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Went to Cabela's after calling to find out they had 3 P238 SAS in stock. Took a number. While we were waiting, my wife said ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Desert Tan P238.

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar

Desert Tan P238.

Went to Cabela's after calling to find out they had 3 P238 SAS in stock. Took a number. While we were waiting, my wife said she thought the grip on the Desert Tan one in the display looked different.

I'd had eyes only for the SAS next to it till then, but took a close look and she was right. It had a wrap around rubber grip on it with a finger grip to go between the second and third fingers (trigger finger being #1). So when they called my number, I looked at the SAS first, then had them let me handle the Desert Tan one. Well, long story short, it followed me home.

Everybody that has ever fired a P238 knows how sweer they are to shoot. This one is even sweeter. Take a look at the grip from the front. You can see that it is sort of pear shaped.

It fits my hand about perfectly.

So after we arrived back home, I did the usual field strip, ran a patch through it, looked at the bore (which is flawless even with the 10X borescope), loaded up the magazines and headed for the clay pile back by the deer stand 400 yards behind the house.

There is a pretty good crop of weeds growing on that dirt pile, but it makes a great back stop. I couldn't wait so I aimed at a weed with a stem about a half inch thick from ~ 5 yards away just to have something to shoot at. Did a nice squeeze, the trigger broke and the weed fell over! I proceeded to take down 4 weeds out of 7 shots. Not bad. Not bad at all.

I put up a piece of paper with an orange dot on it and fired another couple of magazine loads of mixed ammo at it. The gun ran flawlessly. Reloads, Hornady Critical Defense, S&B, WWB. The thing is an ammo omnivore. Eats anything you put in the magazine.

I have to say, this grip is a well kept secret. The gun is glued right to the hand, double taps are second nature, the bullet holes appear right where you are looking. This thing is sweet. I would rather it came with two short magazines, the pinky grip extension is not needed at all to have total control of the gun.

I am not a real fan of the ambi safety, but the detent is stronger than the one on my wife's two tone, and the SIG pocket holster completely covers both safety levers.

I have to say, this is a pocket .380 that will go to the range with me every time because it's so dang much fun to shoot.

Fitch
    4myfam likes this.
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety), by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.” by H. L. Mencken

Awesome little Sig. I know whatcha mean about these little Sigs.i have two of um and both are awesome little shooters. I like my extreme model best, but agree that the extended grip is just a plus and not a must..
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

Congratulations! That's a really sweet looking little pistol.

Distinguished Member
    Nice! Like the colors.
    The stupidity of some people NEVER ceases to amaze me.

G19 AIWB

My wife and I both have P238's. Hers is The Lady - red is her favorite color. Mine is the Desert. We both have Colt Mustang extended magazines - extra purchase. I have 700 live rounds and 500 snap cap rounds through mine. We both love this pistol. Easy to rack, low recoil, and accurate.

My LC9 is getting lonely sitting at home alone.

sent from my sending device

Count me in also. I have two, a two tone and the Equinox. Mine both flawless with about a thousand rounds each. I think this is about a perfect pocket pistol. The Equinox has become my favorite because I love the tritium tru-glo front sight. easy to rack the slide, accurate and easy to shoot. Awesome!

BTW, I love the Desert Tan. Good choice, that grip looks awesome.

That ergo grip looks like it would feel great!
    An intruder will be incapacitated by tear gas or oven spray, but if shot with a .357 Magnum will get angry and kill you.

Senior Member Array justherenow's Avatar
    Nice. I carried my P238 from Ohio to TX and back and forgot I had it for most of the trip, its a nice little weapon.
    --------------------------
    Gen 4 Glock 32 .357sig and SW M&P 15/22
    Ohio CHL since 1/29/2009
    PA Non-Res 10/12/2010

Those who trade liberty for security have neither. ~John Adams

I have a chance to pick up on slighly used for 600 is that a good price? Really a sweet looking 380. If they where close in price P238 or P938?

Sweet looking !
    G-d, Make me fast and accurate. Let my aim be true and my hand faster than those who would seek to destroy me. And G-d if today is truly the day you call me home, then let me die in a pile of empty brass.

Quote Originally Posted by Miles View Post
    I have a chance to pick up on slighly used for 600 is that a good price? Really a sweet looking 380. If they where close in price P238 or P938?

What model ? The cheep entry nitron model is at 500 or so I have seen some for 400 even SIG SAUER P238 380ACP WOOD GRIPS W/ NIGHT SIGHTS @ Sportsmans Outdoor Superstore:
    Academy - SIG SAUER P238 .380 Auto Pistol

Some of the models run a bit more though ..

I like them both .. They are about same in take down and firing .. The 938 mags need a loader that it is for sure.. The 238 is smaller though

Read this onthe 938 though the early models had problems ..Sig Sauer P938 Review | Center Mass Group

I would say start with the 238 if you dont mind 380 and see what you like .. Both are some of my fav pocket guns

But get at least the 238 it is one gun I would not sell
    “Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.” H.L. Mencken
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

VIP Member
    I like those grips, I have a P238 also and it is the sweetest shooting .380 I have.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Nice gun OP .. I think I like the non AMbi safeties my slefe ..

I do like the color though.. The odd thing to me is this is about the only 380 I dont need heavy grips to fire

Of course I do like this model as well P238-Gambler-bty-Detail.jpg

I remember walking into a gun store and they had I think about ever model in production on the shelf that was fun to see..

For carry I like this the easy draw model P238 SAS

and the CT laser and holster pack for this is very nice .. I do like the holster Amazon.com: Crimson Trace Sig Sauer P238, Laserguard with Holster: Sports & Outdoors

Nice too that houge makes and sell the grips so you can swap them out with black/green if you feel the need
    “Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.” H.L. Mencken
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

Quote Originally Posted by WrongRecroom View Post
    What model ? The cheep entry nitron model is at 500 or so I have seen some for 400 even SIG SAUER P238 380ACP WOOD GRIPS W/ NIGHT SIGHTS @ Sportsmans Outdoor Superstore:
    Academy - SIG SAUER P238 .380 Auto Pistol

Some of the models run a bit more though ..

I like them both .. They are about same in take down and firing .. The 938 mags need a loader that it is for sure.. The 238 is smaller though

Read this onthe 938 though the early models had problems ..Sig Sauer P938 Review | Center Mass Group

I would say start with the 238 if you dont mind 380 and see what you like .. Both are some of my fav pocket guns

But get at least the 238 it is one gun I would not sell
    The P238 I havwe a chance to buy used for 600 is the dessert tan model with the night sights. Was wondering if the 600 was a fare price

Quote Originally Posted by Miles View Post
    The P238 I havwe a chance to buy used for 600 is the dessert tan model with the night sights. Was wondering if the 600 was a fare price
    I think all the 238 and 938 come with night sights so that does not add anything ( good sigts though )

Does it have box mags etc?

Though I have not looked at how much a gun shop cost 238 would be I think 600 for that model would be good it is not as common as the others.. So if in good shape I say go for it ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links