Hot Weather Carry

This is a discussion on Hot Weather Carry within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Now that hot weather is here, I'm having a familiar issue with concealed carry. I sweat, and not just a little. The other day I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Hot Weather Carry

Hot Weather Carry

Now that hot weather is here, I'm having a familiar issue with concealed carry. I sweat, and not just a little. The other day I put my Bersa .380 under the floorboard (stow & go seating) while we visited Sea World. When I got it back out it had rusted at the back of the slide.

I cleaned that up and oiled everything, but am thinking a nickle plated slide may be a viable solution. Any one have the Bersa nickle slide? Anyone else have advice?
    The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good.

George Washington

2. Remove Ads

You're going to ask my advice? Get your current pistol dura coated or something. Might also start using something better for protecting the finish like Gunzilla. Apply and wipe leaving a thin coating. Next day, wipe dry and reapply.....then let it set for a day or two and I swear the stuff penetrates below the surface a bit.
    My Glocks seem to like sweat actually. You're going to have quite a time keeping any regular blued metal from rusting under those conditions. Even stainless will rust around slide serrations and such. I'm not much of a fan of NP³ especially thinking tactically sound thoughts if you know what I mean.

An Old Faithful hybrid and a Remora holster with sweat shield have allowed me to carry my Glock 30 all summer without the usual comfort and sweat exposure problems. I usually switch to a pocket-carried snubbie in summer, but not this year. Try a different holster.
    "Clearly that's a YOU problem not a ME problem."

Another vote for the Gunzilla here...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

+1 on the Remora holster. I live in ATL with high humidity. The holster allows for comfortable carry while protecting the finish.

Keep an oily rag in a Ziploc bag for those times when you need to wipe the gun down in between holstering’s

Distinguished Member Array ericb327's Avatar
    Wipe down your gun or change holster option.
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

https://www.facebook.com/ninja312

My food and product review blog
    http://trualitybarandgrille.wordpress.com/

Distinguished Member Array AZJD1968's Avatar
    If you are carrying a blued weapon IWB, sweat is its enemy. You will have to wipe it down almost daily if you expose it to sweat. With that said, I have a G23 and a G30 that I have carried IWB and OWB at work and play in the Texas heat of summer, exposed to sweat, salt air, dirt, dust, grime, sand, water, and a lot more. I am bad about wiping them down too, sometimes going a few days without, and not one hint of rust. Glocks are like that.
    RugerMike likes this.
    Stop whining and go make a difference!
    If you think that I may be talking to you, then I am.

I carry a Sig P238 with the stainless slide, I wipe it down every night with some #9 field wipes, it was 107° here in Texas today, there's no way any of my carry guns would go a day with out being wiped down with something.
    itschuck likes this.

It was 95 here today and so hot and humid that my sweat was sweating. I played 18 holes of golf in the hottest part of the day and didn't have a dry spot on my when I finished. I drank 11 20oz bottles (4 gatorade and the rest water) and must have sweated every drop out because it leave anywhere else. I carried my XD40sc IWB all day and you would have thought I dropped in in a bucket of sweat. I clean it with Gunzilla exclusively. I stripped it down this evening and cleaned it good and still not a sign of rust anywhere inside or out. It repels dust too. I don't worry about sweat and rust anymore using this stuff. It cleans, lubes, and coats in one step.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Add one more vote for Gunzilla. I received a free sample at the NE Sportsmans show two years ago, and just purchased a bottle at this years show. It goes a long ways and protects your firearms well.

Quote Originally Posted by woodstock View Post
    Now that hot weather is here, I'm having a familiar issue with concealed carry. I sweat, and not just a little. The other day I put my Bersa .380 under the floorboard (stow & go seating) while we visited Sea World. When I got it back out it had rusted at the back of the slide.

I cleaned that up and oiled everything, but am thinking a nickle plated slide may be a viable solution. Any one have the Bersa nickle slide? Anyone else have advice?
    Were you running the A/C prior to parking and storing the gun? If so, the cold gun sitting in a vehicle that was heating up with very humid air would form condensate and promote rust. If so, try turning off the A/C a few minutes before parking to give the gun time to warm to the ambient temperature. It's a real Florida problem for a large portion of the year. However, any humid, hot climate will promote this problem.

Edit: Just read your post again, I see that sweat is the deciding factor since it has salt content. I used to use a lubricant impregnated cloth and wipe the gun down before storing.

Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    It was 95 here today and so hot and humid that my sweat was sweating. I played 18 holes of golf in the hottest part of the day and didn't have a dry spot on my when I finished. I drank 11 20oz bottles (4 gatorade and the rest water) and must have sweated every drop out because it leave anywhere else. I carried my XD40sc IWB all day and you would have thought I dropped in in a bucket of sweat. I clean it with Gunzilla exclusively. I stripped it down this evening and cleaned it good and still not a sign of rust anywhere inside or out. It repels dust too. I don't worry about sweat and rust anymore using this stuff. It cleans, lubes, and coats in one step.
    I'm curious. What holster you were using?
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144

Ruger owners check our sister forum http://rugerpistolforums.com a great site to share and learn about your Ruger pistols.

Another vote for Gunzilla

Two options if you want to go with the same pistol.

1. Have it Dur-Coated or Cera-Plated.
    2. Get a good holster with a sweat shield. I use the Remora Holster with a sweat shield. Works great.

I have had a nickel plated PPK and it still got some rust. A good holster is the best and cheapest.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links