Sig p226 decocker "problem"

This is a discussion on Sig p226 decocker "problem" within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My new "previously owned" 266 decocker has me baffled! The only way it seems to work is when I engage it AND then, while holding ...

Like Tree8Likes
  • 1 Post By Lyndo
  • 1 Post By gottabkiddin
  • 2 Post By MLittle
  • 1 Post By sensei2
  • 1 Post By C hawk Glock
  • 1 Post By buckeye .45
  • 1 Post By multistage

Thread: Sig p226 decocker "problem"

My new "previously owned" 266 decocker has me baffled! The only way it seems to work is when I engage it AND then, while holding it down,PULL THE TRIGGER! It seems to work , but it scares me to do this. It is ALWAYS UNLOADED when I practice this, but is this the way it is supposed to work? When I owned a Bersa, the decocker was just activated and the gun did the rest. Am I missing something here or does my Sig have a problem? Thanks for your input.I love this new acquisition ,but this has me concerned.
    Chicken Little? Who the heck is Chicken Little? And what does she know, anyway?!

" The will of the majority, the natural law of every society, is the only sure guardian of the rights of man." Thomas Jefferson.

Yes it definitely has a problem and you should get in contact with a SIG armorer.
    Philly Boy likes this.
    Glock 36, 30SF, 31, 32, 21 Gen4 - Carry guns
    Ruger Mini-14 and Remington 870 by the bed both wearing Surefire lights.
    Always carry a knife-they are handy to have
    Always carry a reload-You probably won't need it but it is good insurance .
    Always carry a light- To see in the dark

I would absolutely contact Sig about that, or maybe a YouTube video on the subject. Mine works without the trigger pull. With the hammer back, the decocker should allow the hammer to fall to a half cock position. For it to use the trigger pull to assist is a very strange way for any decocker to function IMO.
    Philly Boy likes this.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Can anyone tell me where to find a Sig armorer in the Cincinnati area?
    Chicken Little? Who the heck is Chicken Little? And what does she know, anyway?!

" The will of the majority, the natural law of every society, is the only sure guardian of the rights of man." Thomas Jefferson.

HOLD THE BOAT!! I think I must be slower than I thought. Now, when I press the decocker ALL THE WAY DOWN until it kind of clicks, it lowers the hammer slowly to the correct position; but to my eyes, it really isn't a half-way position--- more like 3/4 of the way. Does this sound right or do I still have a problem with this?? MANY THANKS and I apologize for my stupidity where Sigs are concerned.Mea culpa!

When you decock a Sig, the hammer doesn't lower just half way....... The front of the hammer lowers to a point inside the slide, but is blocked from reaching the firing pin by a block. When decocked, the hammer "appears" to be all the way against the back of the slide, but if you take a close look, you'll see that there is still a small gap between the front of the hammer and the firing pin. Do NOT pull the trigger when you decock......
    sensei2 and Philly Boy like this.

dear Philly Boy: you are not stupid - just inexperienced. MLittle is correct: when the decocker is properly engaged, the hammer will NOT lower flush with the back of the slide and up against the firing pin, but to the 3/4 or so position that you described, and, as MLittle said, this is because a firing block is between the hammer and the pin. obviously, this is to prevent discharge if a loaded gun should be dropped on the hammer. this block dis-engages automatically when the trigger is pulled. if you pull the trigger (on an EMPTY gun, please), and CONTINUE TO HOLD THE TRIGGER TO THE REAR, you will find that the hammer can now be pushed flush up against the firing pin. if you watch the hammer action very closely as you pull the trigger, you can see the hammer hit the firing pin and rebound just a bit to the 3/4 position. release the trigger, and the block re-engages and you can no longer push the hammer flush against the firing pin.

sorry to be so long winded, but i hope this gives you a better idea how your Sig works. cordially, sensei2

p.s.: my browser wouldn't allow me to answer your private message directly: i believe your P-226 was made between 1996 and the early 2000's. imo, the best constructed of the pre-rail guns. (the railed guns aren't made any better, they just added the rail) the stainless slide is a plus. your EXTERNAL extractor is that short, rectangular bit of metal on the right side, just behind the ejection port. the cut-out on its left side shows the spring-loaded plunger which puts the proper amount of pressure on the extractor. an earlier 226 with an INTERNAL extractor would show no opening or rectangular metal bit, just slide (similar to most 1911's).
    Last edited by sensei2; June 11th, 2012 at 01:23 PM.
    Philly Boy likes this.

VIP Member
    LOL Philly Boy! You put a little smile on my face today. That decocker will seem odd at first, but then you will grow to love it.
    Philly Boy likes this.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

After all of these helpful comments, I don't feel so stupid- just ignorant(there's quite a difference I'm happy to say)! Again, the worth of this forum has been shown to me.THANKS,FRIENDS of the handgun persuasion!

Top Gun Supply sells a spring replacement kit for the 226 for around $20 bucks, that according to my Sig Armorer, uses Sig parts.

There are some good youtube videos on how to replace the springs. One of my Police trade in 226's started experiencing a trigger reset issue a few weeks back when a student was using it at the range. So, I bought enough kits to replace the springs in my whole fleet of trade in 22x series pistols.

With a pistol you don't know how many round have been through it, especially if you are going to carry it for defense, the $20 bucks is well spent. It will also give you a better idea of the inner workings of your pistol. Just watch some videos, take pictures at every step, and take your time doing it.
    Philly Boy likes this.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by Philly Boy View Post
    After all of these helpful comments, I don't feel so stupid- just ignorant(there's quite a difference I'm happy to say)! Again, the worth of this forum has been shown to me.THANKS,FRIENDS of the handgun persuasion!
    Everybody is born green. Everybody has to be taught, with the possible exceptions of C Hawk, JD, and Glockman10mm. Those guys know their irons.

I have found no better place to get help than here.
    Philly Boy likes this.

Links