Sig P238 Issue

This is a discussion on Sig P238 Issue within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Took my Sig P238 out this weekend & after every 2nd shot fired the slide would stay stuck back. I'd slide it back forward & ...

Thread: Sig P238 Issue

Sig P238 Issue

Took my Sig P238 out this weekend & after every 2nd shot fired the slide would stay stuck back. I'd slide it back forward & continue to fire. It happened every time I put a new mag in. I have never had a problem with it with in the 2 years I have owned it. Any ideas on what it could be?

2. Remove Ads

Several ideas. Magazine spring and follower, ammo, and magazine. When you have a failure to chamber, do you slap the bottom of mag to see if it will chamber a round?

Distinguished Member Array ericb327's Avatar
    If it staying back but not locking then it could be time to replace the recoil spring.
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

https://www.facebook.com/ninja312

My food and product review blog
    http://trualitybarandgrille.wordpress.com/

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    you need a new barrel spring and firing pin spring while your there

the firing pin safety pin that protrudes from the top of the slide is creating more hold back than the bbl spring can overcome.
    and take the slide completely apart to clean the firing pin channel and the general area
    remember to reoil if you use break cleaner.

often times just a good cleaning fixes hung up stuff but after 2 years new springs are not such a waste of money.
    Be aware, be deliberate in your actions and be accurate.
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

I did just start using a Sig extended mag & this was the first time I tried it out. I didn't have my original mag with me so couldn't try it. I had gave it a good cleaning a couple of months ago & haven't fired it since then. Where can I purchase a new recoil spring from?

JD
    Administrator
    Hold the phone guys...

Pearl,

Are you stating that the slide stop is engaging the slide so that it locks open, or something else.

JD
    Administrator
    Lets look at the slide stop spring and make sure it's intact and functioning. If the slide stop seems like it's wiggling around in place when the slide pulls to the rear without a mag inserted, if might be item #18 on the parts list in your users manual. That little guy can cause premature lock back if it's worn or damaged.

http://www.sigsauer.com/upFiles/CmsC...01.2%20web.pdf

If you've owned the pistol for two years you may have the older-style, round recoil spring rather than the newer, longer flat spring. If that is the case, Sig will send you a pack of three recoil and three firing pin springs free. In any case, they're inexpensive.

Call Sig customer service before you make any internal changes.
    The early 238s had several issues but the newer ones got different mag designs and different recoil springs. I found Sig's CS to be very helpful and they reduced the trigger pull on my 238 from 11.13 to 7lbs and had the gun back to me in 8 days. No cost to me at all.

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jrprich View Post
    Call Sig customer service before you make any internal changes. The early 238s had several issues but the newer ones got different mag designs and different recoil springs.
    DITTO!
    Diddle
    Indusrtrial Machine Tool Technician - Certified Refrigeration Technician - CET
    NRA Life Member

Fire it one handed. If the problem goes away, it's your grip. You're bonking the slide stop when the gun fires.

Links