For folks that pocket carry..... A "test" that you should take

This is a discussion on For folks that pocket carry..... A "test" that you should take within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have had very good luck with reliability with a CM9 and a M&P 45C for my personal CCW. The CM9 is for those days ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: For folks that pocket carry..... A "test" that you should take

I have had very good luck with reliability with a CM9 and a M&P 45C for my personal CCW.

The CM9 is for those days where I need to tuck in my shirt and for when I am
    going for a quick run to the store

The CM9 fits the pocket carry role for me, but I am beginning to think differently

Recently I had the opportunity to shoot a LCR and using the pocket holster
    found that I could pull the LCR from my pocket MUCH quicker than the CM9

This has started to bother me a bit, as there MAY be a situation where a fast draw may be needed.

I had a client that practiced using the "21 foot" test. I have had it pointed out to me that this test is named after a man named Tueller

The 21 foot test is having someone start from a stop and run directly toward you and have you cleanly draw and protect yourself (obviously with an unloaded weapon)

21 feet may seem like a long way away, but it goes quickly

I do ok with an IWB setup but not so good with a pocket carry, and not as fast with my CM9, which is smaller than what many people say they pocket carry.

I can definitely draw from the pocket and I do better with a little fuller pocket.
    But it, still isnt fast

Looking back to the LCR, it actually has a taller height than the CM9 , and its longer as well.... It draws easier because of the more rounded top, and because when compared with the CM9 nose down, the height of the LCR is almost 1/2 inch less.

You can also see from this comparision that the backend of the semi is at an extreme angle that would lend itself to catch in the pocket.

Semi vs Revolver 1.JPG

For those that pocket carry a pistol bigger than the CM9, you have a talent that I dont have for fast pocket draw.

My CM9 may be heading toward IWB carry only
    bmcgilvray, TX-JB and mbguy29577 like this.
    An imperfect servant of my Lord and Saviour, Jesus Christ

Buying American made, keeping Americans working
    ....Whenever I still can

What non-shooter are YOU planning on taking to the range?

Very good thread.

I was just considering this issue of drawing from a pocket last night while in a Love's convenience store restroom while returning home from an out-of-state trip. A character had entered and I was toting a Colt Detective Special in a De Santis Nemesis holster. Realistically no speed is available with pocket holsters in my experience, using the same brand for both snub revolvers or a P3AT.

I'd like to hear more on this topic from others.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

I was able to draw my LCR quickly from a DeSantis "Nemesis" pocket holster and the CM9 came out easily with another brand which I can't remember the name of right now. The LCR is also easily drawn from a Simply Rugged OWB holster, in my experience.
    Chicken Little? Who the heck is Chicken Little? And what does she know, anyway?!

" The will of the majority, the natural law of every society, is the only sure guardian of the rights of man." Thomas Jefferson.

VIP Member Array Civil_Response's Avatar
    Stand 21 feet from a wall, see if you can draw before you run into it. :)

There's actually some value in that, as I don't know many people who would stand still while someone is running at them in attack mode. Drawing from your pocket while moving is harder than doing so while standing still.

I can draw my M&P 9c from my Comp-Tac Infidel at my 4:00 IWB a hair faster than my Ruger LCP from my DeSantis Superfly in my F/R pocket, but I'm completely confident that it is a negligible difference.

good thread,i also carry the LCR .38cal in a Desantis Nemesis pocket holster and get extremely quick draws with this set-up..one of the reasons is Hogue Tamer grip,fits like a glove and easy to grab on to.. can't say which one is faster though,don't own the cm9...

sgb
    Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.” - Jeff Cooper

Practice, training, mindset & equipment
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

My Seecamp comes out effortlessly. I have a high noon pocket holster for my xd9sc. I never use it as there is no way to smoothly get it out of any pocket I have.

Interesting. I wonder if this can be equalized by training. I practice drawing my Sig P238, and used to snag my sights on my pocket occasionally. With practice, this no longer happens, and I can access it very quickly.
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    I've pocket carried a number of guns, including a Kahr PM9 (Basically the same as the CM9) & a S&W 442 (Similar to the LCR). I too have found that the revolver's easier to draw from pocket carry. I thought I've read something along those lines a number of yrs ago, too (Like 15 or more yrs ago), but I'm not 100% positive on that. The cylinder causes the grip to not lay flat, which allows your fingers to grasp it easier, plus the enclosed hammer is part of it, too, I think. Yes, training should fix that, but all things being equal, that is one of pluses of the snubbie.

The Tueller drill you mention should be familiar with people in LE & maybe elsewhere, depending on their training. It originally involved having someone armed with a knife run at a subject (Typically a LEO) from 21' away (Or 7 yds). People quickly realize the limits of their equipment &/or training, especially if they don't move.

The Tueller drill or other Force on Force training usually brings out the limitations of certain carry methods. Because of it, I don't carry behind the hip anymore (Appendix or at about 3 o'clock for IWB carry) & never really likes SOB carry.

Interesting thread.
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar
    I believe a lot of this depends on the pants. I wear 5.11 pants so there is no problem getting a gun out. Regular jeans or cheap cargo pants might present a problem IMO
    carracer likes this.
    Pain is the best teacher,but nobody wants to go to his class.

When the past smothers the present, there is only desperation. When the future absorbs the present, life stands still. In either case a decision must be made because you only live now and you are only what you are now.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dean1818 View Post
    I have had very good luck with reliability with a CM9 and a M&P 45C for my personal CCW.

The CM9 is for those days where I need to tuck in my shirt and for when I am
    going for a quick run to the store

The CM9 fits the pocket carry role for me, but I am beginning to think differently

Recently I had the opportunity to shoot a LCR and using the pocket holster
    found that I could pull the LCR from my pocket MUCH quicker than the CM9

This has started to bother me a bit, as there MAY be a situation where a fast draw may be needed.

I had a client that practiced using the "21 foot" test. I have had it pointed out to me that this test is named after a man named Tueller

The 21 foot test is having someone start from a stop and run directly toward you and have you cleanly draw and protect yourself (obviously with an unloaded weapon)

21 feet may seem like a long way away, but it goes quickly

I do ok with an IWB setup but not so good with a pocket carry, and not as fast with my CM9, which is smaller than what many people say they pocket carry.

I can definitely draw from the pocket and I do better with a little fuller pocket.
    But it, still isnt fast

Looking back to the LCR, it actually has a taller height than the CM9 , and its longer as well.... It draws easier because of the more rounded top, and because when compared with the CM9 nose down, the height of the LCR is almost 1/2 inch less.

You can also see from this comparision that the backend of the semi is at an extreme angle that would lend itself to catch in the pocket.

Semi vs Revolver 1.JPG

For those that pocket carry a pistol bigger than the CM9, you have a talent that I dont have for fast pocket draw.

My CM9 may be heading toward IWB carry only
    Edited......... Interesting post.......
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

I just put a down payment on a LCR myself, as a possible replacement for my temperamental PM9. One thing I noticed when I tried it in my pocket at the gun store is that the revolver's grip (if it is visible at the top of the pocket) doesn't look like a gun. A semi auto is given away by the magazine in the grip; the revolver just looks like a black "something."

I'm looking forward to trying it out.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    with a 642 its a lot faster and easier to shoot through the pocket. just be careful about the zipper--you do no want to hit it with the bullet.
    practice that point shooting with your old coats. be warned that the pocket catches fire half the time...
    Agave likes this.
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

OK, a few questions for you to answer on pocket carry:

Forget the '21 foot rule'; what about if someone gets in your face while the gun is pocketed? (less than 5 ft) Can you still draw it without getting jammed up?

Can you access it with your off-hand if needed? (weapon-side hand may be injured or otherwise occupied)

Can you access if you are on your back? Side? With an attacker on top of you?

What about while getting off the "X"? (I don't mean the casual side-step taught on the square range - I'm talking real-world movement)

Personally, I've found more liabilities with pocket carry than positives.

Merely 'having a gun' is a cop-out if you can't get to it to fight.
    ejes and Ksgunner like this.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links