Considering Trading XD Subcompact for Glock 27 Gen 4

This is a discussion on Considering Trading XD Subcompact for Glock 27 Gen 4 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have had thoughts lately of trading my XDSC40 for the Glock 27. The XD is just causes too many issues when I try to ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Considering Trading XD Subcompact for Glock 27 Gen 4

Considering Trading XD Subcompact for Glock 27 Gen 4

I have had thoughts lately of trading my XDSC40 for the Glock 27. The XD is just causes too many issues when I try to carry it all day. Especially when I'm active. Before anyone says that they carry it all day and that you need a good holster and belt, I purchased a Comptac Minotaur and a heavy duty gun belt. It makes the world of difference but still has to be adjusted a lot for me and is a chore after a couple hours. I have a TCP 380 and a Keltec PF9 but at times I want something a little more. I've read that the Glock weighs loaded what the XD does empty and I know the Glock has a shorter easier to conceal grip. My question is, would the Glock 27 feel that much lighter and easier to conceal than the XDSC? What I really want is an XDS in 40 but that might be a while before it comes out.

2. Remove Ads

In answer to your first question: Yes, the Glock is easier to carry than the XD SC. I have both. I still carry the XD 9SC OWB under a light jacket, but quit IWB carrying long ago. My EDC is a Glock 26 (same size as a G27) so I have a lot of experience with the Glock. I also carry a Glock 33 in .357, and just added a Glock 27 40SW to my collection. Another very good option is the Smith & Wesson M&P 40C. Great guns that carry easier than the XD, and shoot like a dream.

If you are really wanting to go thinner, you might look at the Smith & Wesson Shield that is now out in 40SW. You will lose a few rounds, but the gun will be much thinner and easier to carry. Another single stack option is the Walther PPS in 9mm/40SW. This one has been around a few years and is a solid performer.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

I have all 3 versions of the .40 Glock...the 22,23,27. My everyday carry would be my 23 cause I can't get a good grip on the 27 while I'm shooting it that's comfortable even with the pinky extension, nows that's possibly just cause I have big hands. If youre already used to carrying the sub compact then by all means but I really prefer the 23 as my main and the 27 as a backup. The feel in your hand between and 27 and XDSC loaded is much better with the glock though.

Did you also look at the Shield in 40?
    An imperfect servant of my Lord and Saviour, Jesus Christ

Buying American made, keeping Americans working
    ....Whenever I still can

What non-shooter are YOU planning on taking to the range?

Senior Member Array Kimberpackn's Avatar
    The G27 is a great weapon. You wouldn't regret it.
    CountryDawg likes this.
    We should not forget that the spark which ignited the American Revolution was caused by the British attempt to confiscate the firearms of the colonists. -

Patrick Henry

Distinguished Member Array fotomaker57's Avatar
    My 27 has been my main carry weapon for the last 3 years. I think it is as close to perfect as you can get for EDC. The only mod I did was to add the pinky extension. With that on it just locks itself into my grip.
    CountryDawg likes this.
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    Thomas Jefferson

At this point my affirmation of the G27 would seem to be a mute point judging by previous responses. I'd still stick with a 3rd gen however.

I kinda just did this though I traded different sizes. Xd9 tac for a g23. No regrets if you having trouble with the xd vs glock argument.

Never carried an XD, but I LOVE my Glock 27.

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Tapatalk 2
    It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. - David Hume

VIP Member
    Any day of the week!
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

VIP Member
    My next gun will be a G27 or G26.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

Well, I carried a G26 IWB and it felt like a brick constantly stabbing me in my side and became EXTREMELY uncomfortable after any period of time. Then again, I weighed about 70 pounds more then so carrying anything IWB other than my snubbie was an unpleasant chore.

70 pounds later, and I'm back to carrying a double stack IWB again and it's quite comfortable. It's also not a Glock, but I suppose it might as well be.

I guess it depends on your build. I was 5'11" and between 210-227 pounds when the G26 started trying to rupture my spleen.
    An intruder will be incapacitated by tear gas or oven spray, but if shot with a .357 Magnum will get angry and kill you.

Thanks for all of the advice. I love the XDSC in every way but carrying. I had thought of the Shield but it just hasn't called me. In response to 380ACP. I have gotten to be overweight and it does cause some issues but I don't have any problems with being poked or jabbed and when I first put everything on it feels fine. However, it doesn't matter what I do it's going to move down and have to be adjusted. I got the Wilderness belt with reinforcement and pull it so tight that it actually start bothering my back after a while but everything still doesn't work. I know my PF9 would probably work better but haven't purchased a good holster for it yet and I'm really wanting something more like the Glock for outdoors and reliability and water resistance. I have not problems with XD quality, just want to know how much the 6 oz or so makes.

go with the g26. the 40S&W is snappy enough as it is, i never liked shooting the xd40sc and i think the g27 would be even worse.

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar
    Based on my experence with the G26 (9mm version of the G27) and as much as I like SA, I would move to the G27.

And ditto Ram Rod's remark on the Gen. 3 version.
    Diddle
    Indusrtrial Machine Tool Technician - Certified Refrigeration Technician - CET
    NRA Life Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links