Brands to avoid in the <$200 range?

This is a discussion on Brands to avoid in the <$200 range? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi all. I know this may sound like a stupid question. The obvious answer is "Avoid anything under $300 . However, with our current financial ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: Brands to avoid in the <$200 range?

Hi all. I know this may sound like a stupid question. The obvious answer is "Avoid anything under $300. However, with our current financial situation - like so many others - just does not permit such. As it is, most of the funds for the sidearm will be coming from the sale of my Marlin .22 LR (which will probably fetch me $50 if I am lucky).

I have never owned a handgun. I have owned a .30-06, the current .22 LR, and wielded many-a-firearm in the U.S. Army. Never a sidearm, however. I have fired a few (including my favourite thus far, a Luger .22).

I was half considering open-carrying the .22 LR, but that just is not an option. I am somewhat considering open carrying a sidearm, but it is not done very often here, so I am sure that I would catch quite a bit of grief for it, and while I do not engage in illegal activities or have a background, I would rather avoid the "authorities."

So, that leaves me in the <$200 price range. It looks as though there are three major players in this category. Phoenix Arms, Cobra, and Hi-Point. Any to avoid? And which round should be considered more? .380? .32? Both seem equally popular.

I appreciate your replies!

edit: http://www.offthegridnews.com/2012/0...ix-arms-hp-22/
    Just read this review. :) Sounds pretty solid.

Seems the worst thing people say about hi-point is their ugly and about as ergonomic as a bag of door knobs. That being said, they seem to be pretty reliable and for about $150 you can walk out with a 9mm that shoots.

The better plan is to stuff your savings in a cookie jar and accumulate some till you get in the $400 to $500 range and spend a bit more and have something that will last and also have options available like holsters etc.
    steves2 likes this.

Actually if I was confined to $200 I'd go with a cz82. Damn reliable, can be had for $220. 9x18 isn't at walmart, but can be mail ordered at $9 for 50. More power than a .380. Ambidextrous and fun to shoot too.

Quote Originally Posted by kinoons View Post
    Actually if I was confined to $200 I'd go with a cz82. Damn reliable, can be had for $220. 9x18 isn't at walmart, but can be mail ordered at $9 for 50. More power than a .380. Ambidextrous and fun to shoot too.
    Hmm. Something to consider, indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by NC Bullseye View Post
    Seems the worst thing people say about hi-point is their ugly and about as ergonomic as a bag of door knobs. That being said, they seem to be pretty reliable and for about $150 you can walk out with a 9mm that shoots.

The better plan is to stuff your savings in a cookie jar and accumulate some till you get in the $400 to $500 range and spend a bit more and have something that will last and also have options available like holsters etc.
    Thanks for the tips.

You guys rock. :)

If I go into a gun shop, is there anything I should absolutely avoid? Don't want to end up getting schooled just because I'm a newb to handguns.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I second the motion for the CZ-82. I bought one for refinishing as a project, and damn if it's not one of the finest handguns I've ever had the opportunity to shoot. While the ammo selection isn't the best (I reload mine), it's out there if you hunt around some and easily found online. While not an optimum SD round, it will do in a pinch--and with 12-13 rounds, there're a lot of pinches!
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I third it, Never had a failure with mine, the only part I needed was a mag release button which I ordered from CZ, it's the same part as the CZ83.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NC Bullseye View Post
    I strongly recommend this portion of NC Bullseye's post. I have two C9's (High Point) that randomly lock the slide back, and the only way to get it functioning is to rip the mag out and start over again. That'll get you killed if you really need it.

Quote Originally Posted by uRabbit View Post
    ... Don't want to end up getting schooled just because I'm a newb to handguns.
    Buying from a random gun shop employee is where you're better off not asking questions that you don't already know the answer to. Get an idea of what you want and research it and the price range for it. Heck, come back here and ask us.
    Philly Boy, sensei2 and kmagnuss like this.

Distinguished Member
    Yep, just started buying firearms in the last two years. I've bought a few "cheaper ones", while they work and for the most part are reliable I'm done buying cheap guns. Its all the little things that you start to notice about them. Just worth it to me now to save a little longer, spend a little more and get the better gun.
    The stupidity of some people NEVER ceases to amaze me.

G19 AIWB

mkh
    The Kel Tec PF9 can be had for $259. Not a bad deal for the money.
    kmagnuss likes this.

If your purpose is self-defense, then there is really no option IMO. I vote for saving and buying a reliable gun. Inexpensive guns (HP, Jimenez, Jennings, etc) are cheap because they use cheaper pot metals and cut corners in manufacturing. Sure, it may go bang, but for how long? And don't you want to practice, ALOT? There are plenty of quality guns available for only a few more bucks. A 9mm (no .380's, right?:) from Kel Tec or Taurus isn't that much more $, and you have something you can shoot up and have confidence in. Or, just put all your worries to bed, get a Glock, and never look back.
    zonker1986 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array CDW4ME's Avatar
    This is sort of like picking out a doctor for open heart surgery based on lowest price.

IMO a Glock or XD is going to be reliable and you are not likely to second guess your purchase or have buyers remorse; in other words, these are good examples pricewise for a new pistol that is most likely going to work and has pride of ownership. I would put Ruger just below these.

I have a Kel-Tec P3AT and like it, but I wouldn't rank Kel-Tec with Ruger.

I think it's a roll of the dice with Taurus, Kel-Tec, ect... as to whether the pistol will be good to go out of the box (you should test any pistol for reliability; it's an expression) and stay that way for a few thousand rounds.
    Aiko likes this.
    No internal lock or magazine disconnect on my pistols!

I often carry an EAA windicator 2" .357 mag. $245 NIB, and have never had a bit of trouble out of it, and accuracy wise, It shoots better than my 4" Ruger.
    Philly Boy and Kilowatt3 like this.
    MIA/POW , Bring em home or Send us back

I would suggest if you are "NEW" to guns that you either find a forum like this,or ask around and find somebody that has a lot of gun knowledge who you can call or who will take some time to give you advice on guns.Gun Shows are great places to window shop/buy because you can find just about everything there in one stop.I have a friend I just steered toward a RIA 1911 9mm for price and reliability,then I found some good mags online and sent him the link,he told me I found some on ebay.I told him ebay doesn't sell mags,and you don't want cheap mags in a SD gun your putting your life on the line with.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Learn from my mistakes. When I became interested in handguns, I began looking for something that didn't cost too much. I would've been better off paying more attention to quality and deciding what types of firearms suited my needs. Not doing that ended up actually costing me more. From my experience, you can learn to avoid anything with the Jiminez/Jennings/Bryco name on it. I know there are other poor quality firearms out there, but my experience with buying crappy guns is limited to these.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Links