Figure this one out. - Page 2

Figure this one out.

This is a discussion on Figure this one out. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by countriboy84 What about a used 6906 or 5906 Smith&Wesson. I own one of each and although a old gun they are accurate ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Figure this one out.

Quote Originally Posted by countriboy84 View Post
    What about a used 6906 or 5906 Smith&Wesson. I own one of each and although a old gun they are accurate and very reliable shooters. Both can be had in that price range and being issued duty weapons for many LEO are generally very well kept and were not shot as much as a gun owned by a hobbyist.
    I am selling my 469 that's in 90% shape for $300 tomorrow. My friend just got a 6906 for $300 from the same guy i bought mine from. They are great guns and super accurate. Mine found very little use due to the fact that polymers have taken over in my house and i found a sweet deal on a glock. :D

Sent from my DROID RAZR

I agree with the revolver suggestion. I've shot the PF-9 and it's not alot of fun IMHO. I wouldn't be opposed to carrying it tho and have friends who do. You might check at your LGS as Kahr has some CW9 Blems in the $350 range. I've seen a few come through my buddies shop and cant tell where the blem is.

My older brother is interested in a RugerLCP so we are going to take a day and go up to the city. Take him to the local range and let him try it and a couple of others. Hubby and I both have the LCP. Excellent pocket gun for me. Hubby just got a Shield. I am really looking forward to trying it. It may be my Christmas present (one, not his) if I like it.
    Take him to a local gun shop with a range if there is one close and let him try them out. After shooting a few different guns he may up his maximum price.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

Not carefully shopping for used firearms causes one to miss out on super serviceable bargains. I'd be hunting for a quality used revolver and I'm not buying the notion that .38 Special is significantly cost prohibitive against the price of cheap 9mm.

This Smith & Wesson Model 10 is scarcely worth a second glance with its shabby external appearance. Carried a lot in a right-handed holster, its side plate suffered from exposure as exhibited by the browned surface appearance The photo was taken more for record keeping purposes rather than to be featured on firearms forums. The external appearance concealed the fact that it is tight, smooth, and has a perfect bore. In fact it shows signs of scarcely having been fired at all. It's laser accurate too as is typical of K-Frame .38 Specials and will handle any +P or +P+ ammunition thrown at it. A pawn shop allowed it to come home with me for $150, $30 less than the price on the tag. That was only a few years back and a revolver in such a condition is scarcely worth any more now on the current market. I keep lots of Model 10s on hand, just 'cause they might come in handy.

Here's the other side which gives a bit better appearance.

Another one, similar to the above, this one was made in the mid-1950s a few years before the revolver acquired its Model 10 moniker. This one popped up on GunBroker about the same time as the one above came from the pawn shop. The victim of an unfortunately worded auction description, I was the sole bidder. It came home to papa for $120 plus reasonable shipping.

How about a 2-inch. This Military & Police K-Frame .38 snub was the product of a strange trade so a true cost can't be established but my brother-in-law picked up a similar, if slightly shabbier, appearing 1960 Model 10 marked 2-inch for $225 recently. If basically sound there's just nothing to go wrong with any of these. This one is occasionally carried about town and sees some duty resting in a coat pocket as a back-up to a holstered handgun when hunting, fishing, or hiking in wintertime.

How about a Colt Official Police, long time competitor with the Smith & Wesson Model 10 for the .38 Special service revolver market. This one will still reliably shoot any .38 Special ammunition out there, just as hosts of similar Colt revolvers have for a big hunk of the 20th century. This one was picked up for $185 through a forum ad some years back but its similarly worn siblings are out there now for $250-$275 in shops and especially at motivated gun show exhibitor's tables.

These aren't in style in this day and age but I'm not either. They are heavier than the svelte automatics churned out these days but then I'm heavier too these days. They are very accurate and actually are repeating handguns, just not holding as many shots as is deemed necessary by so many. With their rugged all-steel construction they even now are still more durable and dependable than inexpensive, stunted, aluminum alloy and plastic pistols that are popular. They are also more gratifying to shoot at the range.
    wmhawth, Dadsnugun and Hopyard like this.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Distinguished Member Array Hoganbeg's Avatar
    Yep, I vote for a used .38 or .357 revolver in good shape. Can't go wrong with either one.

I don't know why the compact (sub-compact?) guns first mentioned are even a consideration. As a new to handguns kinda guy, he should pick and use
    something that is going to be easier to shoot accurately. A 4"-6" revolver fits the bill in that area as well as versatility. They would make a better home defense gun due to the ease of shooting and not being unpleasant to shoot like a small, light for caliber, semi-auto which doesn't offer much more in terms of capacity.
    If he starts out with the likes of a PF9 (don't get me wrong, I love those guns for what they are) he may not feel like "practicing" as much as he should. Get him a gun that is easy to shoot well and he will be more likely to practice with it.
    I even like the Sigma idea, I have one with over 2200 rounds and not one single failure of any kind. But, the long, tough pull may turn him off like a 12oz gun
    w/+P ammo would.
    That Sigma trigger needs to be mastered, once done, he would be a better shot with most any gun at that point.
    I say stay away from compact, concealed carry, sized guns and go with a little more "meat". After all, it is going to be a "house" gun.
    If handguns grow on him, then he can move in the compact direction later on.
    The man's nuts....grab 'em!
    A pistol free zone is a crime spree zone!
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array OhioCatter's Avatar
    What about a Bersa?
    kmagnuss likes this.

I know people like to recommend revolvers based on simplicity, but I just can't do that. I've only fired a few revolvers, but I've ran the triggers on quite a few. With the exception of two OLD, OLD S&W revolvers, I hated every one of them. A lot of people complain about the Sigma's trigger, but will jump right to a revolver! Much worse, IMO. You can smooth out the Sigma's trigger with a little "fluff and buff," but even as a stock trigger it is a heck of a lot shorter and smoother than a revolver. As it's been pointed out, master the Sigma and you'll be a better shot with ANY gun.

As far as simplicity, how much simpler can you get than the Sigma? Point and click, really. It was my first handgun over a .22, and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to ANYONE looking for a simple, reliable, affordable handgun for concealed carry.

I can't speak for the new SD line, but it's definitely worth looking into. It looks like they just put the Sigma trigger in the SD. Should be decent either way, but I'd try it out first. Or find a good used Sigma.

"...two OLD, OLD S&W revolvers..."

Not to dispute you post but how old were those two Smith & Wesson revolvers? I'm just curious.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gator15 View Post
    I second the ruger p95. Probably IMO the best gun on the market for the money when it comes to a HD gun, carry not so much
    What about a used 6906 or 5906 Smith&Wesson. I own one of each and although a old gun they are accurate and very reliable shooters. Both can be had in that price range and being issued duty weapons for many LEO are generally very well kept and were not shot as much as a gun owned by a hobbyist.

^^^^^^^^^^I am in this camp^^^^^^^^^^

on this one.

OR the revolver idea.

My son bought my brothers (tank) P85 and its a runner.
    I have a Sigma which I paid $180 for form a guy at work. Shoots fine.

I have a 6906 & a 6904 both hold 12 rnds. 9mm and shoot great.
    5906 was even cheaper.

6906 $339... S&W 6906 Stainless 9mm Compact : Semi Auto Pistols at GunBroker.com

FEG (High Power clone) $238 FEG 9mm High Power Pistol : Semi Auto Pistols at GunBroker.com

5926 $350...... S&W 5926 Stainless 9mm Pistol. : Semi Auto Pistols at GunBroker.com
    I would rather die with good men than hide with cowards
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy."

M&Pc .357sig, 2340Sigpro .357sig

Ruger P95 or P89 would be a great choice for him.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

Thumbs up

If considering any of the used S&W units, there are a number of the S&W 3953 Compact 8+1 pistols floating around as police trade-ins. Of course, with any older, discontinued S&W, there's the long-term potential issue of difficulty in acquiring parts. But then, S&W made huge numbers of many of their 3000, 5000 and 6000 series pistols. Great value for guns generally known for their excellent reliability and accuracy.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by gator15 View Post
    I second the ruger p95. Probably IMO the best gun on the market for the money when it comes to a HD gun, carry not so much
    Love the P95 the thing is a tank and I do carry mine from time to time in the winter.
    pk(512 x 384).jpg

He and his family will be less likely to get into trouble operating a revolver. I have a PF 9 and it is excellent for what it does and it does not have all of the California crap on it. But for a newbie, unless he is really serious about learning and practicing, the revolver is the simplest solution. Otherwise the best self defense for the home really would be the shot gun with a shorter barrel and if he has a shot gun he can purchase the shorter barrel for much less than the cost of another gun.
    Kilowatt3 likes this.

Bersa Thunder 9uc. Great gun, and inexpensive. Got one on my side right now. Roger P95 used is a great gun usually under 300.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links