Figure this one out.

This is a discussion on Figure this one out. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; A friend that I work with came to me for advice today. He wants a gun. He has several rifles and shotguns that are family ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Figure this one out.

Figure this one out.

A friend that I work with came to me for advice today. He wants a gun. He has several rifles and shotguns that are family guns, all given to him. He has hunted, so is not a virgin to long irons. But, he is not a gun guy, certainly not by our standards.

According to him, times are changing. I agreed. He wants something in the house. I suggested that his 870 is most likely the most potent iron that he can legally own, and even offered him some 0000 buck. He said he wants a handgun. The trouble? Not a lot of money to be spent. You or I could talk all day long about "money is the last consideration when talking of protection," but you and I know that not everybody sees things the way we do.

SIGs and H&Ks (obviously) are out. As are Glocks, M&Ps, XDs, J-frames, SPs, any 1911 that I know of, Berettas. I cannot bring myself to consider a Taurus, as he is a friend.

I am down to either a Kel Tec PF-9 or a Ruger LC9. I have shot a PF-9, have no experience with any Ruger handgun other than a GP-161 I owned many years ago. Am leaning toward the PF-9.

Are either of these 300 dollar guns any good? That's about his limit.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    not a lot of $$$ kinda leans to revolver as he will not have monet to spen on ammo to run the gun & verify it is trustworthy.
    a revolver and a box and your done.

used 3" model 60.
    go with him and kick the tires so you know he gets one that is not messed up.
    than a box of std ammo, and LSWC's and +P's and 357 if.....if, he is good with the +p's.

----> as an aside my Shield is now over 600 rounds. i felt i could trust it after the 3rd magazine.
    they are that good; and $400 out the door. YMMV
    9mmHP likes this.
    Be aware, be deliberate in your actions and be accurate.
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

I told him I can get him into a new 642 for 399. He said that's a bit much, and wants a 9 as ammo is cheaper.

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    $280 dollars worth of marbles and a $20 wrist rocket.
    multistage and Ranger45 like this.

PB2
    I owned a PF-9 and sold it. Now I have an LC9 and like it much better. The trigger is not good. It's a very long pull. But there is a trigger available for an upgrade which cuts down the distance by half. Still, a very good gun for the money. I carry it regularly and trust my life on it working when needed.

If he's got a goodly number of other guns, he can certainly consider selling one or two, to open up the field a bit. With more cash, he'll be able to consider a far greater number of options than simply sub-$300 ones.

Ditto on the used revolver option. Good option for someone "not into" firearms.

A Glock is worth considering. So is CZ, new or used (CZ 75, P01, P07). With a bit of cash from selling one or two of the other ones he has, he might well consider something like a H&K P2000 or USP.
    helderberg and paching like this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by 21bubba View Post
    $280 dollars worth of marbles and a $20 wrist rocket.
    I hear you.

Ruger P89, 85, 95 are all excellent guns for the money. Glock reliable and even uglier.

Or you could go with a Bersa.... again with steadfast reliability and not quite as ugly.

I second the ruger p95. Probably IMO the best gun on the market for the money when it comes to a HD gun, carry not so much

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    I have to stand by what I've said many times in many threads, an EAA Windicator is a great way to go. 'You' can get it in .38spl, but for the same money, you can get it in .357 with a 2", 4", or 6" barrel. Reloading is easy enough with HKS 10A 'speed loaders' or 'speed strips'.

$300+/- plus a $20 box of ammo will get you set. Factory reloaded ammo is cheap. Pick up a bag of 50 semi-wadcutter +Ps for less than $12. Not expensive ammo.

I only say it so much, because I've had it prove itself with over 1000 rounds with no problems.
    Kilowatt3 likes this.
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

I'll throw the S&W Sigma out there. Can be had new for a tad over $300, or used for well under $300. Sure it has a stiff trigger, but that's a good thing in a SD gun. Especially if he's a newbie to handguns. Learn to control that trigger and you can shoot darn near anything. On top of all that, it's glock-like in terms of reliability. I've got well over 1000 rounds through mine and it hasn't had a single hiccup.
    paching, alafan and 1959 like this.

I have a couple of PF-9's, and I have no issues with mine....but if its his only handgun, he will not likely care for it. Not a lot of fun to shoot. I would steer him towards the Keltec P11, which is a double stack 9mm that has been around since 1995. The finish is a bit rough, but they work and the prices are around $250 to $275. Also, I spoke with my gun store owner tonight, and Smith & Wesson is discontinuing the Sigma and merging it with the Smith & Wesson Self Defense pistol lineup. I see the new Self Defense model on Davidson's for around $320 and $349 on Buds. The new models have stainless slides and are minus the Trijicon front night sight.

S&W SD9VE 9mm Black/SS 16R $349.00 SHIPS FREE

Keltec P11

Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Maybe a CZ 82. 9x18 doesn't cost too much more than 9x19. Of course the best thing would be to come up with another $100. You can get a lot more pistol for $400 than $300.

If he's talking HD, I think a P95 is a great suggestion.

But for $300, I'd try harder to convince him to find a used 870 and some boxes of 00 Buck.
    chefjon likes this.

What about a used 6906 or 5906 Smith&Wesson. I own one of each and although a old gun they are accurate and very reliable shooters. Both can be had in that price range and being issued duty weapons for many LEO are generally very well kept and were not shot as much as a gun owned by a hobbyist.
    chefjon likes this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links