My M&P Shield makes me want a full size M&P too

This is a discussion on My M&P Shield makes me want a full size M&P too within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I love my shield in every way. So much so that I want a fullsize M&P too. I was thinking it would be wise to ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: My M&P Shield makes me want a full size M&P too

I love my shield in every way. So much so that I want a fullsize M&P too. I was thinking it would be wise to have a full size for the range, training, and possibly a primary CCW with the shield as a back up or for the wife to carry.

I heard that the trigger on the full size M&P is different than that of the shield. Are the guns too similar/different to warrant buying the shield's big brother? What are your thoughts on buying the full size for the purposes stated above?

VIP Member Array Civil_Response's Avatar
    Made me buy a M&P 9 Compact... love 'em both! I like the triggers... not sure what all the fuss is about.

HCF
    I have a fs 9 and compact 40. If I had to choose 1 it would be compact, because you can use full size magazines in it with x grip, you can also pick up s&w 9m or 357sig barrel. Little easier to conceal the compact for me.

Quote Originally Posted by HCF View Post
    I have a fs 9 and compact 40. If I had to choose 1 it would be compact, because you can use full size magazines in it with x grip, you can also pick up s&w 9m or 357sig barrel. Little easier to conceal the compact for me.
    M&P full size = Best ergos of any pistol I have ever handled. Crappy trigger. Not like "first gen sigma" crappy but still crappy enough to make me say "Seriously Smith???? You didn't learn anything from the abomination of a trigger that was in the sigmas to fix it in your next line???
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

I personally find the stock M&P triggers to be ok. Reset is a bit weird (quiet), but I shoot them all just fine. This guy thinks he's a SIG 226.....great shooter.

Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Senior Member Array jblives2ride's Avatar
    any reason to buy a gun is a good reason....
    I would rather live my life as if there is a God,
    And die to find out there isn't, than live my life
    As if there isn't, and die to find out there is.
    God Bless

Senior Member Array RightyLefty's Avatar
    If you want one of the other M&Ps, you may want to wait for a while. The word going around is the Shield trigger is going to be intergrated into the rest of the M&P line. S&W has been mum on the subject but that has been the word floating around.
    sensei2 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    M&P full size = Best ergos of any pistol I have ever handled. Crappy trigger. Not like "first gen sigma" crappy but still crappy enough to make me say "Seriously Smith???? You didn't learn anything from the abomination of a trigger that was in the sigmas to fix it in your next line???
    Actually, I don't think the trigger on the M&P is bad. Yes, it doesn't have an audible and tactile reset like the Glock, but mine is pretty darn smooth and consistent. It really smoothed out with use.

I also heard a Smith rep during an interview on YouTube say that they didn't put a tactile and audible reset in the M&P line at the request of the Military and various law enforcement agencies. I don't know whether I believe that or not, but that's what the man said.

After coming out with the M&P line they got so many complaints about the trigger reset that in order to respond to customer demands, they will be incorporating the trigger from the M&P Shield into the rest of the M&P line.

I've been looking all over for that video and if I find it, I'll put it up.

Again, according to the Smith rep, the M&P trigger was done that way intentionally. It wasn't until after, that customer demand underscored it wasn't such a good idea to do it.

Either way, whether you believe what he said or not, they are planning on addressing it in the future, and that's a good thing. It also shows, they respond to customers input.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

I find the current M&P trigger on my FS 9 to be good, this is my second one. I have enough rounds down range that I do not need to feel the reset as I now know where it is. I also would never be able to hear it so the whole reset thing is lost with me. As for the trigger on the Shield, I have a 9 and yes it is better and I do hope what ever they have changed on it they put into their entire line. As for me, I had a FS9 about a year ago and sold it to finance another gun. I did the Apex swap to it and I did not like it and put the stock parts back in. The one part I kept in the gun was the firing pin lock plunger, that was a definite improvement.
    I like the M&P line and do not believe you can go wrong with any of them. That said I am a firm believer in buying what works for you. I am not a fan of Glock but I know they are a great gun, just not for me. Good luck.
    Frank.

I have two full size M&Ps(9 & 40) and I am completely satisfied with their function and reliability all the way around because if I were not they would be gone.
    Philly Boy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by BWBracelets View Post
    I love my shield in every way. So much so that I want a fullsize M&P too. I was thinking it would be wise to have a full size for the range, training, and possibly a primary CCW with the shield as a back up or for the wife to carry.

I heard that the trigger on the full size M&P is different than that of the shield. Are the guns too similar/different to warrant buying the shield's big brother? What are your thoughts on buying the full size for the purposes stated above?
    After I handled a Shield at my LGS, I thought the same thing about getting a full sized M&P. I tried an M&P at the range recently and was disappointed by the trigger and accuracy. While the M&P feels good in my hand unlike my Glock, I CAN shoot the Glock accurately.
    "I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." - Thomas Jefferson

my M&P compact is unbelievably accurate. I don't own a full size but find it hard to believe I will be able to tighten up my groups much more then I can achieve with my compact.

Wouldn't trade my M & P for the world. You are either a glock guy or an M & P guy. I shot the glocks and hated them. M&P is like a dream come true to me.
    accessbob likes this.

VIP Member
    My M&P 9c didn't make me want a Shield.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Quote Originally Posted by BWBracelets View Post
    I love my shield in every way. So much so that I want a fullsize M&P too. I was thinking it would be wise to have a full size for the range, training, and possibly a primary CCW with the shield as a back up or for the wife to carry...
    I went the other direction!

I bought a full-size M&P 9 the week before the Shield was released. I liked the full-size so much that I had to get the Shield the next week to go with it. Love 'em both! Neither one has had a hiccup with a large variety of ammo - 115 to 147 gr. in both FMJ and JHP. I keep them both stoked with 147 gr. Ranger T's for defensive use.

Each of the M&P's has the best ergos I've felt for 9's in their respective size classes. For my purposes, the full-size is more of an HD gun, while the Shield is better for CC. The triggers are a little different, but I am absolutely fine with either. Now I'm wondering if I need an M&P 9C to fill the gap!

Go for it - You won't be sorry!

Regards,
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by SoleShtr View Post
    If you want one of the other M&Ps, you may want to wait for a while. The word going around is the Shield trigger is going to be intergrated into the rest of the M&P line. S&W has been mum on the subject but that has been the word floating around.
    author James Tarr says the same thing in his article/review of the Shield: Handguns magazine, August-September 2012, page 55.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links