Trade my Kahr PM9 against a Sig P290?

This is a discussion on Trade my Kahr PM9 against a Sig P290? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I compared my Kahr PM9 against a Sig P290 yesterday. The Kahr has a better trigger, but I like the overall feel of the Sig ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Distinguished Member Array SpringerXD's Avatar

I compared my Kahr PM9 against a Sig P290 yesterday. The Kahr has a better trigger, but I like the overall feel of the Sig better. I haven't fired the Sig.

Any input is welcomed.
    "I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

shoot a p-290 FIRST, and if you like it better than your pm-9, go for it. if you like the Kahr you have, them keep it as well, until you have spent some time shooting, cleaning, and carrying the Sig, just in case you change your mind about it. them keep both or dispose of your second choice. it's not that hard. it's not like you're divorcing one woman so you can marry another - they're just objects.

I've been looking hard at the SIG P290 as well. My experience with three different Kahr PM9 pistols hasn't been positive, though the package is hard to beat. So long as the P290's reliability is worthy of carry, it looks like it could be a winner.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I have two of the Sig P290s and love um. IMO The Sig is a tad bit better overall. I find them as accurate as any of my Kahrs and the two or three extra ozs of weight is not noticed at all. I bought one and took it to the range for a testdrive; after that rage trip, I went out and bought the second one with the laser attachment. These are awesome concealed carry guns IMO and I have no regrets with either purchase. Carry one of um everyday and I can't see that changing anytime soon.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

I have the CM9

What works for you, only you can say.

In my humble opinion, the P290 is extremely close to what you already have in the PM9

The comparisons of size and trigger make them very similar

What you may find is the trade or sale of a used PM9, especially since the release of the CM9, may be much less than you paid for it, putting you out extra cash for a near duplicate of what you have
    An imperfect servant of my Lord and Saviour, Jesus Christ

Buying American made, keeping Americans working
    ....Whenever I still can

What non-shooter are YOU planning on taking to the range?

Thanks, everyone.

I have my answer and it's a "no." Once again today, I compared the two and the P290 is definitely a bit more chunky, which is what I'm trying to avoid. I really like it, but it's not an answer for better concealability.

So next I'll look at the Kimber SOLO if I can find one.

-miklcolt45

Quote Originally Posted by SpringerXD View Post
    Thanks, everyone.

I have my answer and it's a "no." Once again today, I compared the two and the P290 is definitely a bit more chunky, which is what I'm trying to avoid. I really like it, but it's not an answer for better concealability.

So next I'll look at the Kimber SOLO if I can find one.
    There are a lot of Kahrs out there with problems so, if yours works well and you have gone through the process with yours and deemed it consistently reliable, you may consider keeping it. However, the Sig is rock-solid and dependable and will last forever (a little levity on forever) and they have a better reputation than most out there, especially Kahr-IMO (and all the others that have/had issues with them). Be careful with the Kimber Solo and research well as there are many similar problems with their pistols that Kahr owners have. Check out a few threads regarding Solos.
    Good luck!
    "I am the way, the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me." John 14:6 "For God loved the world so much that he gave his one and only Son, so that everyone who believes in him will not perish but have eternal life." John 3:16 Good parenting can happen ONLY through Jesus!

Quote Originally Posted by brianalisa View Post
    There are a lot of Kahrs out there with problems so, if yours works well and you have gone through the process with yours and deemed it consistently reliable, you may consider keeping it. However, the Sig is rock-solid and dependable and will last forever (a little levity on forever) and they have a better reputation than most out there, especially Kahr-IMO (and all the others that have/had issues with them). Be careful with the Kimber Solo and research well as there are many similar problems with their pistols that Kahr owners have. Check out a few threads regarding Solos.
    Good luck!
    Thanks. My Kahr had two failures during the 200-round break-in period. Since then, I've put several hundred across it without a problem.

-miklcolt45

i've seen very few posts on this site about the Solo. for a while it was the hot, unavailable gun that lots of folks lusted after. the current hot gun is the Shield, but S&W had many more available to sell when they introduced it. the few posts i've read from Solo owners have NOT been favorable.

Distinguished Member Array hardluk1's Avatar
    If you are willing to go to a handgun that is as heavy as the sigp290 is 20oz+ ?? Then try one and deside but at that weight range there are others you should also cover before desideing. With as few rounds as you have thru your kahr i don't think you have given it the chance it needs ether. Just don't run out and buy what the current hot gun or you will never come to terms with any one handgun. Some of us carry one handgun for years or even decades. I have 20 years with a taurus 85ss .

No matter what handgun I will shoot 400 of what ever is cheap in a 124gr FMJ for a 9mm and then 200 HP I hope to cc. Small handguns can be picky about bullet profiles too. My 2 kahrs, a cm9 and cw9 have used only 124gr +P Gold Dots from georgia arms for CC. I have 2050 rounds fired and zeros issues thru them . Heres the secret to stopping some function issues. Get some bicycle inner tube. Cut your self some pieces, 3/8", 1" and 2" cut to fit on this one. Put the skinny one on at the center of your grip add the others. You should find it helps with grip and control issues that all small pistol have to some point even if you say it doesn't. HA After you know your happy with what ever gun you settle on take them off or not.

jyo
    You state that your Kahr is reliable after break-in---well, that's it---keep it! I have two of Kahr's CW9 pistols and like them a lot---I prefer the slightly longer grip over the mini Kahr as does my wife. I say; if it works, keep it!

Quote Originally Posted by jyo View Post
    You state that your Kahr is reliable after break-in---well, that's it---keep it! I have two of Kahr's CW9 pistols and like them a lot---I prefer the slightly longer grip over the mini Kahr as does my wife. I say; if it works, keep it!
    Absolutely.

:)

-miklcolt45

I have the newer Sig P290RS, owned the PM9 and currently own the CM9. First off the P290RS is the "re-strike" newer generation of P290's. Improvements other than the double strike ability which actually proved useful for once in my life, are a smaller mag release as the orignal was too big and some holsters pressed against it and released the mag, better trigger, although not by much, Sig nite sights, optionally laser, a 6 and a full grip 8 round magazine with grip extension that does not wiggle or pinch your hand, improvements to fix the many reported light strike problems, and generally fixes of any other issues that were troubling the first generation of P290s.

The CM9 is my pocket gun as the Sig is small enough but too heavy for my tastes as I have to really tighten my belt to prevent pants drag. The Sig absorbs recoil better due to its weight and is easier to get back on target. The grips of the Sig are just like the skateboard tape I put on most of my guns. Agressive but not painful. Your sweaty hand will not shift with the Sig. The Kahr is almost as good but not quite as its agressive grip areas are front and back only. The Sig is not really that thick if you do not count the slide release. It is .9" without it and it does not make a difference when carrying. The Kahr trigger is better as it is smooth all the way through and a little lighter than the Sigs. The Sig trigger is perfectly good for self defense use and allows me to put them all in the 9 ring at 7 yards rapid fire. If I want to hit bullseyes all day I use my Sig with the 3.5 lb. SA trigger.

The Sig has more metal on its rails and is very well built as most Sigs are. The Kahr has a long but spotted history as a quality gun although I like the Sig Quality better due to my experience with the two brands owning several of each. My concern for you is that you seem to be wanting to trade for the old model P290 which I would not do as it had what some considered problems to the extent that Sig modified it and reissued it as the RS model. Something Sig rarely does with its guns. With the new RS model out I see more of the old model being sold by people who want to buy the new model so if I were you, I would keep the PM9. The PM9 was the easiest and most comfortable carry gun I ever owned and I owned 28 carry guns over the last two years. I am lucky enough to be able to indulge myself after 47 years of hard work. I had most , if not all of the popular quality guns and even some KelTec that were problem free for me. :)

If the Sig were the RS model than I would tell you to keep the PM9 if you pocket carry as the P290 is a bit too heavy for my tastes. If you belt carry than get what you like as the P290RS rides comfortably in my Crossbreed SuperTuck or OWB holster. I also like the Sig's nite sights and full grip 8 round mag with the grip extension that matches the rest of the grip and does not move when I hold it. I can carry it at night due to its night sights and also carry 9 rounds in it when I think I may need that many. Most of the time though, my CM9 is in my pocket and does not intrude on my life or comfort.

P.S. The Solo is expensive, has more than normal negative posts and in most comparisons does not come out ahead of some less expensive guns. If I were you I would hold out for the $1100 Kimber .380 that is coming out. Just want I want an expensive .380. Yep, that will give the round more power. :) I used to own a Kimber when they were truly well made. Now they have so many models and are selling them on their looks and would not buy one anymore. The best way to know which guns are good is to go to pawn shops or gun stores and see what guns are being sold as used. If you never see a model there after a year or two you know that people are keeping them. Never saw a used PM9 but saw lots of P40s and PM40s as the guns are really too small for that caliber realistically. Sure macho guys and myself can shoot them but the recover time after the first shot is not so great for the follow up and that is a very important factor unless you plan on never missing. :) What is worse, there is a P40 still on a shelf after two years along side the Seecamp .380 I traded in at the same time. Some guns my LGS will not even want in trade nor will the pawn shop because they know they will sit there for a long time unless they buy them dirt cheap from me and price them accordingly. Good example is that I sold my M&P Shield this week for the same price I paid for it.

Quote Originally Posted by gottabkiddin View Post
    I have two of the Sig P290s and love um. IMO The Sig is a tad bit better overall. I find them as accurate as any of my Kahrs and the two or three extra ozs of weight is not noticed at all. I bought one and took it to the range for a testdrive; after that rage trip, I went out and bought the second one with the laser attachment. These are awesome concealed carry guns IMO and I have no regrets with either purchase. Carry one of um everyday and I can't see that changing anytime soon.
    Why would you buy a new gun when you could have just bought the laser for $117 at Sportsman Guide? Anyway I have both guns and like them both however the CM9 is noticeably lighter, especially for pocket carry and has a better trigger. Smooth as butter. The Sig is heavier and gets loaded with hotter ammo because its weight tames it much better plus gets carried at night due to the tritium sights. I am not a big fan of lasers that require you to learn and practice another step that has to be taken under the stress of life and death. The Sig feels better in my hand and if you got the latest version, the P290 RS, you also got the tritium sights and an extended 8 round mag that actually fits very well with no wiggle. Feels like a compact with a short barrel rather than a subcompact. Also the trigger on the RS has been improved. My EDC is the Kahr carried in a Simply Rugged surf and turf holster though:

temp.jpg

Distinguished Member Array hardluk1's Avatar
    I never did understand why folks keep changeing cc guns. If you own one that now reliable keep it. Chances are the two faulures you had were ammo or shooter related. Kimber solo has spotty past and present too. Maybe more so than most concedering kahr sells many times more handguns in the same size. If you want something bigger maybe a cw or P or tp series kahr as everything will feel the same but will make a better iwb . But I to would keep the cm9.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links