Why do I hate on Taurus 1911s?

This is a discussion on Why do I hate on Taurus 1911s? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Doodle Ok JD, I just visited your blog for the first time and didn't leave their for a couple of hours. Needless ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: Why do I hate on Taurus 1911s?

JD [OP]
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Doodle View Post
    Ok JD, I just visited your blog for the first time and didn't leave their for a couple of hours. Needless to say it's now bookmarked on my tablet. How the heck can you afford all those classes though?(I was just reading about the point shooting class at Saurez.)
    It's all the big cash I rake in working here.

2. Remove Ads

Wow.

I have 3 "Tauri" - 2 M85s and a PT111, all > 9 years old. None of mine has any of the crude machining JD illustrated here, so I can only conclude that within the last decade the Taurus attention to detail has departed.

The editor of American Handgunner commented recently in his column that Taurus USA has a new top man, and that the currently notoriety of Taurus' poor quality and poor customer service was no secret to him. Here's hoping that he gets a bag of clues and acts on them quickly.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Rather than buying a Taurus or some other firearm of questionable quality I have always found used, first rate firearms to be a practical and sensible alternative. Most firearms get very little actual use and it is not difficult to find a great buy on a used S&W, Colt, Springer, Ruger or other brands where quality is no issue. I know enough about Taurus to know that I would never trust my life to a firearm from that manufacturer. Never.

JD [OP]
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Wow.

I have 3 "Tauri" - 2 M85s and a PT111, all > 9 years old. None of mine has any of the crude machining JD illustrated here, so I can only conclude that within the last decade the Taurus attention to detail has departed.

The editor of American Handgunner commented recently in his column that Taurus USA has a new top man, and that the currently notoriety of Taurus' poor quality and poor customer service was no secret to him. Here's hoping that he gets a bag of clues and acts on them quickly.
    Agreed.

VIP Member
    I never met a Taurus that I liked.....
    shooterX likes this.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    " Not trying to start a product war" Now that's funny.

JD [OP]
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by 21bubba View Post
    " Not trying to start a product war" Now that's funny.
    I'm here all week...

VIP Member
    I have a stainless 605 that I had slicked up years ago. My gunsmith at the time was impressed by the gun. He thought it was nice and I still think it is nice.

I am not thick headed enough to miss the fact that I got lucky, but I still like the gun.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

The only 1911 I've ever had was an RIA, and it was pretty good other than I couldn't hit squat with it. I've owned 2 Taurus products. A PT709 and a PT845. The 709 has been flawless through 2000 rounds. When taken down, everything is well machined. The 845 was a tad crappy. I don't understand how they can put out products with such inconsistent attention to details. One great, another not so much. You would think they would be consistent one way or the other. If I buy another 1911, it will likely be a Springfield. Taurus has some good ideas, but seem to lack in execution. Too many other consistently good options available.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

VIP Member
    Nice through write up JD. I had a PT1911 for a short while; with less than 200 rounds through it the ambi-safety came apart. Since it has a “lifetime” warranty I sent it back to Taurus, finally after over a two-month wait it was sent back with the safety repaired or so they said. Next range trip I notice the safety starting to come apart again. This time I took it to a local gunsmith and had the safety replaced and then traded it for something more reliable.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

JD [OP]
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    Nice through write up JD. I had a PT1911 for a short while; with less than 200 rounds through it the ambi-safety came apart. Since it has a “lifetime” warranty I sent it back to Taurus, finally after over a two-month wait it was sent back with the safety repaired or so they said. Next range trip I notice the safety starting to come apart again. This time I took it to a local gunsmith and had the safety replaced and then traded it for something more reliable.
    I'm sure that's just one of those $2100 features, a self disassembling ambi safety....yeah, that's what it is...

sgb
    Taurus produces low quality, low cost firearms. I learned a long time ago the lesson of false frugality of cheaply made products.
    atctimmy likes this.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Administrator
    I personally would never own one. I'd state my exact reasons why but, I don't much feel like entering into a verbal battle of the BULL.
    Just put whatever word immediately comes to mind right after you read the word BULL....and that is exactly what you get for your hard earned money.
    OK...I'm done.
    shooterX likes this.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

I have never been impressed with them. I know a few people that have them and are happy with them. I think it might be an ok gun at $375, but for what they go fo they are just not anywhere near worth it. I normally see them in the $650 range. Well, that's Ruger territory for sure and getting in to pretty good springfield territory. I know a guy who bought a pt1911 for $700 and I just think it's crazy! I only paid $700 for my Kimber!
    Aceoky likes this.

I know this is about semi-autos but I love my judge. Looks good shoots good with both 410s and 45s. I also have a old tarus 9mm bought back in the 80s that I still keep loaded and would use for self defense. But I did have a problem with a 380 that I got rid of as fast as I could.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links