Why do I hate on Taurus 1911s? - Page 3

Why do I hate on Taurus 1911s?

This is a discussion on Why do I hate on Taurus 1911s? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by mdmorgan I have never been impressed with them. I know a few people that have them and are happy with them. I ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: Why do I hate on Taurus 1911s?

JD [OP]
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by mdmorgan View Post
    I have never been impressed with them. I know a few people that have them and are happy with them. I think it might be an ok gun at $375, but for what they go fo they are just not anywhere near worth it. I normally see them in the $650 range. Well, that's Ruger territory for sure and getting in to pretty good springfield territory. I know a guy who bought a pt1911 for $700 and I just think it's crazy! I only paid $700 for my Kimber!

Exactly. But even then I would at least hope for decent machining. As bad as a hack job I've seen on several of these, it almost makes you appreciate the cleaner lines of casting.

I remember when the first came out they were going in the $450 range and they seemed like an appealing deal until the parts starting falling off them.

Quote Originally Posted by revldm View Post
    I know this is about semi-autos but I love my judge. Looks good shoots good with both 410s and 45s. I also have a old tarus 9mm bought back in the 80s that I still keep loaded and would use for self defense. But I did have a problem with a 380 that I got rid of as fast as I could.
    No comment on the Judge (or the S&W Governor for that matter), I don't think my keyboard could take it at the moment. I'm glad you like yours and that's all I'm going to say.

Wow! I don't own any Taurus products, nor have I shot any, but it doesn't look like I'd even consider their stuff after what I've read.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolvingMag View Post
    I'm glad you got a good one. I've 'played' with 5 or 6 of them new, and they weren't very awe inspiring. The triggers were rough, gritty, and just all around nasty. The slide felt OK, the magazine release and catch was great, the safety snicked nice and firmly, and the sights looked awesome. But, the 5 or 6 RIAs I looked at were better- standard sights, but everything else felt as good as the Taurus except the trigger was better by far.

I think that a Taurus PT1911 COULD be a good gun. But (in my experience) it would have to be smoothed out. And, maybe after shooting it enough (or enough dry fires with snap caps) it would smooth the trigger right out- I don't know, I haven't tried.
    I'm glad I got a good one too, but I'm not surprised. My LGS owner goes over all of his guns before he puts them on the floor. Anything looks bad and he sends them back. From what he's said though, they really aren't THAT bad. He does take the time to polish the feed ramp, smooth out any sharp edges, and just generally clean them up, but he also does that with EVERY gun that comes through his shop. Even Kimbers, Springfields, Colts, etc.

I've had two Taurus' myself- one that I sold, 24/7 Pro because it wasn't what it was supposed to be (but it wasn't bad), and my new little PT22 which has been everything I wanted it to be. And, in all fairness, I'm not a fan of Kimbers; they're good guns, but it's kinda like getting a Corvette. It's expensive, it's pretty, and it's not all it's cracked up to be. (I just got the Kimber guys, AND the Chevy guys in one sentence. ) Not saying it's bad, but not saying it's garbage either.
    I agree about the Kimbers, but not about the Chevys (okay, maybe the corvette, but I'm more of a truck guy anyway).

I only have my Springfield because I got a SERIOUS deal on it. If I hadn't found the deal I got, I would have a RIA, and be happy with it. I'm not bashing Taurus as a whole, just the 1911s based on what I've experienced with them.
    One other thing that I noticed about the Armscor guns (RIA), is the grip safety doesn't have enough travel. Looks and feels great in the shop, but pretty tough to draw and fire unless your grip is 100% perfect. I took mine hunting and had that problem numerous times when something popped up in front of me. Granted that can be fixed pretty easily, but so can most of the problems with the Taurus.

The consensus seems to be that they are hit or miss. So rather than discount them completely, why not break it down before you buy it and take a look? You might get a good one. I did.

Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    Taurus has some good ideas, but seem to lack in execution.
    Bingo. Believe me, I really wanted to love my PT145. It felt good in the hand, was nice and compact, and just had a lot of good things going for it. But when all was said and done, I knew I couldn't trust it to run when I really needed it.

If Taurus designers were to leave and go to S&W, Springfield, Ruger, or Glock, we would see some amazing products out there.
    "I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

Well, I own two Tauruses (Taurii?). A model 85 .357 magnum revolver and a PT738 TCP .380 pocket auto.

Both have been extremely reliable and have had no problems. The 85 is a bit rough around the edges and has a horrible trigger in comparison to my Smith revolvers.

The TCP on the other hand, is great. The trigger is super smooth and light, and it's a finely machined piece all around. Much, much better than the LCP I own and it also locks the slide back after the last shot, which most of the pocket .380s don't. I personally think that the TCP is the best option for reasonably priced .380 micro pocket autos. (I don't consider the Sig P238 to be micro-sized, but I like it better than the TCP).

That being said, when it came time to shop for a new 9mm auto for summer carry, I found myself steering away from Taurus despite my good luck with the two I own. I also have no desire to own a PT1911. I'm very happy with my Colt in that regard.

Long story short, I really like my .380 TCP but still don't have a lot of confidence in the brand as a whole.
    An intruder will be incapacitated by tear gas or oven spray, but if shot with a .357 Magnum will get angry and kill you.

Administrator
    I like near bout all of our forum members - and I don't dislike any members just because they happen to like their Taurus firearm.
    If you have got a good, reliable one then enjoy it & I honestly am happy for you.
    Buying one is more of a crapshoot than buying nearly any other firearm though.
    There always have been some awful examples and mighty poor excuses for firearms coming out of Taurus though.
    And folks should be made aware of that fact before jumping up & down to buy one.
    QC has been "on again off again" spotty right from the very inception of the Taurus company.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

VIP Member Array Civil_Response's Avatar
    This is about Taurus, not Kimber...

Quote Originally Posted by RevolvingMag View Post
    "Why do I hate Taurus 1911s?"

Gritty triggers, FTFs, FTEs, HORRIBLE triggers, overpriced... anything else?

Kidding, kidding.... relax... don't need 100 PM's telling me Kimber triggers are great.

A friend of mine bought a 24/7 in .45 as his first SD handgun after getting his cc. The advise came from a couple coworkers of his who are big proponents of the .45
    I have no problem with it, but I know him and know he would not carry something that large. Not to mention it would be less then simple to conceal on his 6'1" 150 lb frame.

Anyway he carried it sporadically, mostly on weekends, in stead of during the week when his job brought him to not so good neighborhoods with computer equipment. But that was a problem with his philosophy and the advise he decided to take over mine... lets not talk about his ammo choices. or the fact that he never got anything but an uncle mikes $5 special to carry it in.

The problem with the taurus I have always had is with its reliability. By my count it malfunctions about once every 200 to 300 rounds. mostly stove pipes. but I have seen it double feed at least once. I have tried to convince him to trade it in and get a 1911 that he wants, or a 9mm of any other brand, but he still thinks it is a perfectly fine night stand gun... though I would not trust it fire more then the shot in the chamber...

At least he did listen to me and picked up an lcp and carries that... 80 percent of the time. now to get him to invest the time and money into going to the range more then once every 6 months... maybe I should get a new best friend.

Among guys I shoot with they say the Taurus revolvers are decent guns but steer clear of their semi's. We have a Judge and a .357 revolver in the group, no semi's. I've fired the .357 and it compares favorably to my son's S&W .38 Special. I just gotta fire that Judge someday! I wanna blow a pumpkin up at 25' with it.

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder71 View Post
    This is about Taurus, not Kimber...

Kidding, kidding.... relax... don't need 100 PM's telling me Kimber triggers are great.
    ..No comment...
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

I had a Taurus 1911 a few months ago . It was a great gun had no issues at all only got rid of it because of a good trade deal that came along .

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Never have been much interested in Taurus firearms, why buy a copy when the originals are so much nicer (beretta, S&W, etc...). And JD you and I are on the same page about the judge and the S&W clone (which to me is weird considering taurus has been coping their revolvers for years), as I said before, just a gimmick gun IMO.
    "Don't start none, won't be none!"

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    I like near bout all of our forum members - and I don't dislike any members just because they happen to like their Taurus firearm.
    Exactly. I'm known on here as a "Taurus basher," but I certainly don't bash the owners. The reason I bash the product is because I don't want anyone here to ever really need their gun and have it fail at that moment. But to each his own and I'm sincerely happy for Taurus owners who have had good luck with theirs. Believe me, if my PT145 had been reliable I would have it nearby as I type this.
    "I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

Sadly, the older Taurus guns were ok. I've got on older .357 and a decades-old PT 92 (made on the original beretta line in Brazil.) Both are very well built and fitted...zero problems. Having been pleased with their products initially, I've been disappointed for the past several years every time I've picked up both Taurus revolvers and autos. I really wanted to like the 24-7 line, but shot them and just couldn't feel them. I think the companies efforts to compete in all the "hot" markets have lead to their shoddy production/design problems. Sad. Istead to selling a few lines that were known for solid quality at affordable prices, they've really hurt their reputation, which should be everthing in the defensive arms business.

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    Thank God this didn't turn into "a product war"...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links