Why do I hate on Taurus 1911s?

This is a discussion on Why do I hate on Taurus 1911s? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by 21bubba Thank God this didn't turn into "a product war"... If you want to go there, Smith & Wesson beats all....

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: Why do I hate on Taurus 1911s?

Quote Originally Posted by 21bubba View Post
    Thank God this didn't turn into "a product war"...
    If you want to go there, Smith & Wesson beats all.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Spidey2011 View Post
    If you want to go there, Smith & Wesson beats all.
    Yeah they do, but only if they don't have stupid lock holes in the left side of them.

I did see a new Smith & Wesson Model 40 Centennial today from one of the runs without the lock. OOOooo...it looked pretty nice! Was a bit tempted. All steel. Clever (but useless) grip safety. Nice stocks with good wood grain, rich finish, and great checkering. Very nice polish job prior to blue finish. $459. Was tempted but it probably would replace neither the Model 642 nor the Detective Special in actual use and there's already an extra Chiefs Special around here too.

Taurus' revolvers are superior to Smith & Wesson's current line in one way. At least Taurus' stupid lock is unobtrusive while Smith & Wesson's is unsightly. If they had to add a lock Smith & Wesson could have learned from its competitors.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Well...I'm glad I did a search before asking about this. My question would have looked something like this (start dream sequence). "I walked into my LGS the other day looking for a new 1911 purchase. All they had were 2 Taurus 1911's. One for $500 and one for $700. The only difference I could see was the finish. One was matte black ($500) and the other had a stainless slide and matte black frame ($700). Other than that, they looked exactly the same. Anyone know what the difference is?" It would have gone something like that. Nevermind.
    "Those are my principles, and if you don't like them...well, I have others." - Groucho Marx

The only reason I would buy a Taurus is if I found a screaming deal on one that I would never need to trust my life with. There are too many brands out there that have great quality guns to roll the dice on a Taurus.

Distinguished Member Array chuckusaret's Avatar
    Taurus recently agreed to market the Diamondback line, now they have another product to overcome production quality problems, not to mention the DB's past/present reliability problems. I don't own a Taurus but my daughter did have a Jam-O-Matic TCP380 that made two trips back to Taurus and Continued to jam on return. She loves her new replacement, a Ruger LCP.
    US Army 1953-1977

‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’
    — Abraham Lincoln

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    I don't know much about the PT1911's. I've shot 5 or 6 that have come through class and they all have been excellent performers. Colt has been the most problematic 1911 platform that I've seen over the last 4 years as a trainer. The SA 1911 have also been great. Kimbers are good as well. But, I certainly have experienced anything that would warrant buying one over a Taurus or a SA.

Personally, I carry a 24/7 Pro C 45acp as my PCW; and I love it! I bought it and a 40sw at the same time because my wife & I both CC. True it was a "forced" economics decision in the beginning. But, it's been four years and I've been satisfied with the 24/7 platform; overall. The 24/7 trigger does take practice and the compact frame and high axis can make it a bit snappy. Irregardless, I've had ample opportunity to try out all the popular SD handgun platforms over the past four years. But, there hasn't been one that makes me want to run down to the LGS and trade my 24/7 out.

-

I see this is an old thread brought back to life, but the story it tells seems to hold truth beyond it's originally intended life.

I visited a couple of my local firearms dealers yesterday, and what they had in stock was almost exclusively Taurus stuff.

Hmmmmm........

best

mqqn

I tried Taurus once...It was an x-mas gift for the wife, a PT709. It would not work right straight out of the box so it went back. For 10 weeks they told me they were waiting on a "new slide" to repair it. When I finally got it back they replaced only the magazine catch spring and not the slide....it has the same problem!! Never, ever again will I buy a taurus...ever!!!

Quote Originally Posted by mqqn View Post
    I visited a couple of my local firearms dealers yesterday, and what they had in stock was almost exclusively Taurus stuff.

Hmmmmm........
    Yup. When I was in Bass Pro the week before last, over half the handguns left were Taurus.

OTOH, there were a couple of PX4's in the display case.
    "Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company." ~ Mark Twain

I'm no gunsmith, but it is plainly obvious how poor the quality of machining is. My $250 Kel Tec is even better machined than that gun. My one and only Taurus is back in Miami for visit #3, my girlfriend's is sitting in its box on a shelf in my closet right now. I really wish Taurus would get it together on QC, they come up with some good designs like the 700 series but they seem incapable of producing solidly reliable products. I looked at a PT1911 last year, was attracted by the price, but on inspection I didn't like how the fit and finish seemed, lots of gaps and rough edges where there shouldn't be.

A question about the "lemons": do they typically fail right out the box or do people shoot a few hundred rounds and have issues as well?
    M&P Shield 9mm for EDC
    Ruger P90 for the nightstand

Distinguished Member Array Brady's Avatar
    I had an 85ULSS that ran good at the very first. Then stopped for 3rd time after about 190 rounds. It's gone now. You just never really know when it'll happen.
    ...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36
    USN/VET; NRA; GOA, jpfo.org
    Life in a Jar: The Irena Sendler Project www.irenasendler.com

I have seen Springfield GIs look as smooth as silk compared to that gun. Yikes. I am spoiled on the Springfield loaded model from 10 years ago, never needed another 1911. I have had good luck with a full frame Taurus Tracker in 357 though. Other than the horrible grip the gun shoots great. A new hogue grip and it was shooting like a champ other than losing the paint on the front site I have had no function problems with it.

Might as well throw my experience in - I have a Taurus 1911, put about 800 rounds thru it so far with no problems of any kind. Shoots like a dream.

Taurus really suffers in QC issues big time.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links