Back from range with late model Gen 3 19. Not pleased.

This is a discussion on Back from range with late model Gen 3 19. Not pleased. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Got a faceful of brass. And I plan to run this at tomorrow's shoot. This truly sucks. I put a mag through it when I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Back from range with late model Gen 3 19. Not pleased.

Got a faceful of brass. And I plan to run this at tomorrow's shoot. This truly sucks. I put a mag through it when I got it, and do not remember getting clobbered like this. 80 odd rounds today, and you never knew where the next empty was headed. Just got this back from having the trigger guard undercut. No other mods other than a set of Ameriglos. Will have to call Glock on Monday. Luckily, a friend is a cop and a Glock armorer, and said he will drop it in. From what I hear, Glock will only send parts to an armorer.

Not pleased. My Gen 3 32 runs well. I hope the Gen 4 23 I ordered this morning runs well.

You need to try a Glock 30274 Ejector. I am assuming the G19 you have came with the 336 Ejector installed in the Trigger Housing. You will probably have to order a new Glock Gen 4 Trigger Housing to be able to get the 30274 Ejector or a Lone Wolf Gen 4 Trigger Housing from Glockparts.com or Lone Wolf. That is the first thing I would try before anything else.

I have a Late 2011 Gen 3 G17 with the same issues. Weak random ejection which sometimes causes stovepipes because the Ejector and Extractor are not working together to really flip the spent case out of the ejection port. I've had 3 stovepipes in the last 600 rounds. Tons of rounds to the forehead, off my lip, grazing the top of my head, and even some go out forward to the right. Know this................you are not the only person in America with this issue. Glock blames it on ammo and limp wristing.

I'm headed to the range tomorrow to see if I can get mine to run with a new 30274 Ejector I just got in the mail from Glockparts.com. Good luck

ETA: For your reading pleasure.

Want Your Ejection Problems Solved? Listen to Dave. - Glock Talk

Glock 19 Extractor Woes

Randy's dissertation on erratic ejection and extraction in the Gen 4 Glock 9mm pistol - M4Carbine.net Forums
    sensei2 and Guest1 like this.
    GeorgiaCarry.org
    GPDO SAF NRA
    Let Not My Last Thought Be, If Only I Had My Gun.

You might want to try some different ammo first to see if it makes a difference.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

It's not an ammo issue. It's a combination of the ejector and Glock changing the design of the extractor to one made from MIM. You know if you have one of the crappy extractors of when looking at it you see a dip in it forming a gap between the top of the extractor and the slide.

Senior Member Array IAm_Not_Lost's Avatar
    What I don't understand is that if the only difference is the extractor being MIM, why doesn't Glock just put the old style extractors in when you send it back? I have two 2011 G19's now, both have been very reliable, but both had brass-to-my-forehead issues. The first one I sent back to Glock and they put in the new ejector, problem 100% solved. The second one I decided to fix myself and so bought a Lone Wolf extractor and it fixed the problem 100% as well. So then out of curiosity I put the old 336 ejector into the first Glock as well as the LW extractor...and again, problem solved.

So again my question is...if Glock has only supposedly changed the extractor on the late model G19's, why are people having so much trouble getting them to run right, and why hasn't Glock just fixed the problem by putting the old extractors back in? As much as we like to rag on manufacturers and whatnot, the folks at Glock are not dumb, so I just wonder what's really going on.
    "Brilliant. So now we got a huge guy theory, and a serial crusher theory. Top notch. What's your name?" - Paul Smecker

VIP Member
    If I were you I'd just take another pistol to your shoot.

Sounds like your getting good advice though.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    Just get a new extractor. Takes about 3 minutes to install.
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

I agree ^^^

Plus if you buy a gen 4 ejector from somewhere you'll need to remove the actual ejector from the housing and put it in the old gen 3 housing, doable, but a little harder than just dropping in a new extractor to try. Anyways, hope you get it figured out.
    "Brilliant. So now we got a huge guy theory, and a serial crusher theory. Top notch. What's your name?" - Paul Smecker

I've tried 2 different Extractors from Glock and one of the Lone Wolf ones. Nothing changed. Still brass to the face and a couple stovepipe malfunctions. Changing a Ejector out is simple. You grab it with a pair of pliers, and pull it out. Wrap the metal ejector in Blue painters tape and also put that same tape on the pliers's teeth to keep from marring the ejector.
    GeorgiaCarry.org
    GPDO SAF NRA
    Let Not My Last Thought Be, If Only I Had My Gun.

Well, I used the 32 in today's shoot. It runs fine. Tomorrow, will call Glock and set up getting this thing back to them.

Love my G19. However I experience the same problem sometimes. I've had shells bounce off the top of my head, hit me in the nose, even had one stick between my temple and the stem of my safety glasses, leaving a little burn mark. I don't see a pattern with it. Sometimes it happens, sometimes it doesn't, with the same ammunition and with different ammunition. I think it just keeps things interesting.
    -You know Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocketship underpants don't help.

-Susie, if you want to see your doll again, leave $100 in this envelope by the tree out front. Do not call the police. You cannot trace us. You cannot find us. Sincerely, Calvin

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    i do not hate glocks but life's too short to shot ugly guns

especially ones that shoot back

just so i am remembering correctly:
    kimber uses MIM and gets roasted
    glock uses MIM and its no big deal....just replaceit

in one instance MIM cheapens the entire gun; and every thing they make.
    in the other case its not talked about....

just an observation...
    Tangle likes this.
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

I've had the same problem with my Glock 19 that was made in 2011. It is an "SDB" serial prefix. I believe that this ejection issue is present in S and T serialed gen 3 G19s.

The last time I went to the range, I only had one piece of brass hit me, but had no FTFs. I've had about 3 FTFs total with this gun, but it could be related to reloaded ammo. My other Glocks have not had any problems.

I keep saying that I am going to send it in to Glock, but I don't want to be without my primary carry gun. When I called, they didn't mention sending any parts to an armorer and stated that I would have to send it in.

Keep me updated with what Glock service tells you.

Quote Originally Posted by claude clay View Post

just an observation...
    It's not talked about? It's one of the biggest observations people make when discussing a problematic Gen 4 or a late model Gen 3 Glock (usually in regards to the 19). MIM in and of itself is not a bad thing, but when it is causing a problem it is, especially when it appears to be the only real change in the late model Gen 3's.

To attra:
    Glock service techs vary in what they tell you to do, but if you ask them to send the new 30274 ejector to an armorer and are obstinate about it they will. You cal also just buy them from a few online stores, LWD, Glockparts, Midway are all supposed to have them, and Glockmeister and Cheaperthandirt claim they have them too. If your FTF's are only happening with reloaded ammo you may want to try commercial ammo for a while and see if the problem persists.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by claude clay View Post

just an observation...
    I see the same thing. The problem is some MIM can cause problems when the manufacturing process or alloy is incorrect. I had an extractor break in a SA TRP 1911 - it wasn't MIM either.

Sometimes MIM is blamed when it is actually a small design change in the part rather than the MIM alloys. One example from the Glock forum, a guy really studied a problem and discovered about a 0.005" (memory, may be a bit more or less) variation on the MIM extractor. He 'machined' that down to the machined extractor dimension and the problem went away. So it was MIM, it was that the part was out of spec. But, guess what would have been blamed had he not discovered the dimension problem? It would have been claimed that the MIM was the problem and probably no one would have ever known the real problem.

There have been many, many things tried to correct Glock problems. Changing parts, and there were various posts claiming widely varying success. Let Glock deal with the problem - it won't cost a thing.

I have two gen 4 G17s with about 3000 rounds between them and have yet to see a problem. I would have to check again, but I'm pretty sure they both have MIM extractors and they are running just fine.

Oh, BTW, so are my Kimbers - running just fine that is.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links