Is there a cure for the Kahr mags that won't sit flush? - Page 2

Is there a cure for the Kahr mags that won't sit flush?

This is a discussion on Is there a cure for the Kahr mags that won't sit flush? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by C hawk Glock LCP? Then he goes from the annoyance of having the mag stick out a little to a crappy trigger. ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Is there a cure for the Kahr mags that won't sit flush?

Quote Originally Posted by C hawk Glock View Post
    LCP? Then he goes from the annoyance of having the mag stick out a little to a crappy trigger. I know which one would bother me more...
    True, but an even bigger no-no with me is stepping down to a .380.
    "I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

Distinguished Member Array VBVAGUY's Avatar
    I believe ProMag makes a magazine for the Kahr PM9 but I do not know if it is 6 rounds or 7 rounds, though some people say it works better than the factory Kahr magazines where the ProMags do not exhibit the nose down problem. I hope this helps. God Bless
    bigmacque likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by SpringerXD View Post
    True, but an even bigger no-no with me is stepping down to a .380.
    I'm not going to get into a caliber war, but if 1/8 inch in grip length is an issue for you in concealing the pistol, then it seems that you really need a much smaller gun. The height of a PM9 is 4 inches from the top of the slide to the bottom of the mag base. The LCP is just shy of 3 5/8 inches. Both of those measurements come from me - just checked the PM9 in my right pocket and the LCP in the left...

With a finger extension on the base of the LCP's mag, and a CT laser, I can empty mag after mag into one ragged hole at a rapid rate at 7 yards. Rather than waste time on an internet forum berating the LCP's trigger, some folks need to spend more time learning how to actually work a trigger. Just sayin'...
    sensei2 and surefire7 like this.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Quote Originally Posted by VBVAGUY View Post
    I believe ProMag makes a magazine for the Kahr PM9 but I do not know if it is 6 rounds or 7 rounds, though some people say it works better than the factory Kahr magazines where the ProMags do not exhibit the nose down problem. I hope this helps. God Bless
    Just checked the Promag website...they do not seem to make a 6-rd mag, and all the other Kahr mags say "Discontinued item limited quantities available."

Good thought, though.
    CT Lasers

I would use some rubber o rings for plumbing they should be big enough and fill the gap. For the record that is some sloppy workmanship when the mag can't fit the mag well proper

Guys, I couldn't care less about the look of it. The point is that this is a concealment weapon, and if the mag would sit flush, then it would reduce the grip footprint by about 1/8 of an inch.
    it's funny you ask this question,i called Kahr directly with the exact same question about a year ago..unless something has changed since then,there is no solution to eliminating the gap..i'm not sure it's a bad thing though,helps make sure magazine gets seated properly when inserted but yes,it does add just a bit more to the grip length.

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    I'm not going to get into a caliber war, but if 1/8 inch in grip length is an issue for you in concealing the pistol, then it seems that you really need a much smaller gun. The height of a PM9 is 4 inches from the top of the slide to the bottom of the mag base. The LCP is just shy of 3 5/8 inches. Both of those measurements come from me - just checked the PM9 in my right pocket and the LCP in the left...

With a finger extension on the base of the LCP's mag, and a CT laser, I can empty mag after mag into one ragged hole at a rapid rate at 7 yards. Rather than waste time on an internet forum berating the LCP's trigger, some folks need to spend more time learning how to actually work a trigger. Just sayin'...

Yeah, but adding $200 worth of accessories to a $300 gun to make it accurate doesn't exactly sound like a glowing endorsement to me. Especially just to shoot a BG made of paper who doesn't move. Just sayin'...

Quote Originally Posted by lordj View Post
    Yeah, but adding $200 worth of accessories to a $300 gun to make it accurate doesn't exactly sound like a glowing endorsement to me. Especially just to shoot a BG made of paper who doesn't move. Just sayin'...
    The laser does not make the gun more accurate, it just makes sighting it easier (as it does for any handgun, which is why I use lasers on all my carry guns). The CT units for the LCP can be had for ~ $160 from Shooters Resource.

Bottom line is that there are too many folks who place the blame for their innacurate shooting on the trigger, when the real issue is their technique. A longer trigger requires a smooth and steady trigger pull. It will magnify issues caused by jerking the trigger. If you can shoot a DA revolver, you should really not have an issue with the trigger on a LCP, or a Kahr, etc.

And for the record, I ran my little LCP through a low light pistol class and did very well with it, despite shooting it essentially one-handed, as the support hand is mostly busy with the flashlight. We're not just talking about punching paper here.

Back to the OP's main point - if the extra 1/8 inch in grip length caused by the PM9's non-flush fitting mag is a concealment concern, then it seems the proper solution is a markedly smaller gun. Take your pick of whichever one you like.
    sensei2 likes this.
    CT Lasers

Back to the OP's main point - if the extra 1/8 inch in grip length caused by the PM9's non-flush fitting mag is a concealment concern, then it seems the proper solution is a markedly smaller gun. Take your pick of whichever one you like.
    I see what you're saying and I don't disagree, but it seems to me that they would devote some effort on a $900.00 gun (MSRP) to resolve a widely-known complaint. I love the PM9 for what it is, but I (and others) see this as an obviously needed improvement.

-miklcolt45

From an aesthetic standpoint, I agree with you. However, I've always been a "function over form" kinda guy!

If Kahr was even able to make the mags flush, then they would need to come up with another way of allowing you to get purchase on the mag, in the event that you needed to rip the mag out of the gun. Cutting away half-circle finger detents in the bottom of the grip could work, but given the frame flex inherent in all polymer guns, you then open up another functional can of worms...
    sensei2 likes this.
    CT Lasers

From an aesthetic standpoint, I agree with you. However, I've always been a "function over form" kinda guy!

If Kahr was even able to make the mags flush, then they would need to come up with another way of allowing you to get purchase on the mag, in the event that you needed to rip the mag out of the gun. Cutting away half-circle finger detents in the bottom of the grip could work, but given the frame flex inherent in all polymer guns, you then open up another functional can of worms...
    Good point. On my former Colt Defender, I sometimes had to pull the mag out with needle-nosed pliers. Ouch.

-miklcolt45

Cannot find them on the Kahr site, and this will not shorten the mag; but the poly baseplate shown on the following link is sold by itself and does close the gap on my PM9 and KM9

Kahr 8 Round 9mm Magazine "K920" - Style # K920, Kahr Arms Magazines

Call Kahr; I'm sure they'll sell you the part.

I see what you're saying and I don't disagree, but it seems to me that they would devote some effort on a $900.00 gun (MSRP) to resolve a widely-known complaint. I love the PM9 for what it is, but I (and others) see this as an obviously needed improvement.
    If this is such a widely-known complaint, why did you buy it?
    Glock Certified Armorer

Quote Originally Posted by CPO 15 View Post
    Cannot find them on the Kahr site, and this will not shorten the mag; but the poly baseplate shown on the following link is sold by itself and does close the gap on my PM9 and KM9

Kahr 8 Round 9mm Magazine "K920" - Style # K920, Kahr Arms Magazines

Call Kahr; I'm sure they'll sell you the part.
    Is that the same as this part? Kahr Polymer Magazine Base Kit (9 mm and .40 S&W) - Style # KMKPOL9, Kahr Arms Magazines

I was gonna get one but it says wont fit mags with a steel base.

Quote Originally Posted by DocGlock View Post
    If this is such a widely-known complaint, why did you buy it?
    1. I bought it two years ago and didn't know this until a week ago. I still love the pistol.

2. I just think a great thing could be made better.

-miklcolt45

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links