Ruger LC9, SR9C & SR22

This is a discussion on Ruger LC9, SR9C & SR22 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've shot all 3 guns at the gun range and ended up buying 2 of the 3 models. The LC9 seemed like the perfect size ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Ruger LC9, SR9C & SR22

Cool Ruger LC9, SR9C & SR22

I've shot all 3 guns at the gun range and ended up buying 2 of the 3 models. The LC9 seemed like the perfect size carry gun but the trigger pull was really bad. First shots at the gun range at 15 feet resulted in one of the shots missing the entire target. Squeezing a trigger with 15 pounds of pressure makes your wrist curl to the right by 2 feet. If the gun makes me miss an entire target at 15 feet, it is entirely useless as a defensive carry gun. If someone had a knife to your wifes throat and you had to take the shot, your wife would die from the inadvertant gunshot and a slit throat.

Next is the Ruger SR9C. From owning a P89 for 19 years, the SR9C striker fired pistol is extremely accurate. Why? It's all in the trigger pull. The lighter and smoother the trigger, the more accurate your groupings will be. Next time you are at the range, try renting other guns to get a feel for how they shoot. Reading on the internet only does so much. One of the features I like the most on the SR9C is the loaded chamber indicator. Some say it's too large but try turning the lights out in your bedroom at nighttime. Completely dark. I can sweep my finger across the indicator to determine if a shell is chambered. You can't do that with any other gun. Watch Hickok45 on Youtube on the SR9C. This guy is hitting everything he is shooting at. It's the light trigger and where it breaks. This is my EDC gun with Federal HST 124gr +P in a Crossbreed Supertuck.

Finally, the hard to find Ruger SR22 pistol. This is the coolest gun I've ever shot. Light, accurate, and no miss fires after the first 300 rounds of bulk ammo. If you can find it, I would add this pistol to your collection. Reason for accuracy? Nice trigger and light recoil. I will try to rotate into my EDC routine once I get a Crossbreed holster for it. I wish there was a 22LR FMJ HP offering in HST or Gold Dot.
    stancehold likes this.

2. Remove Ads

You are hitting all my buttons pretty good. I own the SR22PB, LCP, LC9, and the SR40C. Totally agree with you on the SR22. It is a very fine all around 22 pistol, and I am getting very fine groups at 10 yards. This is going to be a classic design for Ruger. The SR40C is the same platform as the SR9C. I am constantly amazed at how controllable the recoil is with this pistol. I have shot my sons Glock 27 many times, and enjoy that pistol. I believe the Sr40C superior in almost every regard. If you haven't shot one of these...just give it a go. We all have our sacred favorites, in both lines of guns, and in individual firearms. This one is my favorite..period.
    Now for the LC9. I carry the LCP front pocket every day..bug to my LC9 IWB appendix. Both of these pistols have the ever famous long trigger pull that pretty much all of here know about. Neither of these guns is a great range pistol. They both have LONG trigger pulls, and just as long resets. Both require patience and practice to aquire good patterns on target, and confidence in shooting. As far as I'm concerned the long trigger pull is perfect for CC. No question that both need more effort to become skilled with...but well worth the effort. The SRs...nope! They are easy to shoot right out of the box.
    shockwave likes this.
    All men are equal...CC makes us equal-er.

Thanks for the information. I'm considering a SR9c for my CCW. I currently have a Beretta 92 FS for the home, but it's too big, in my opinion, to carry all the time. I'll check on out at the range next week.

Long heavy DA trigger pulls take time and practice to become proficient with. My favorite DA trigger is on my LCR.

I may pickup an SR22 but my MKIII Target model and SP101 22 adequately fill my rimfire pistol needs.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

I'm right there with ya. Swap EDC between SR9c two-tone in horsehide Crossbreed supertuck and an LCP two tone in a recluse back pocket holster with room for spare mag. My most recent purchase was the SR22. Love this gun. As much fun to shoot as any of my guns, will be my new "semi auto trainer gun" (was previously my P-95, but I sold that to buy my 9c). Ruger fan-boy anyone? Lol
    Ruger SR9c
    Ruger LCP
    Ruger SR22

Quote Originally Posted by Pkupmn98 View Post
    I'm right there with ya. Swap EDC between SR9c two-tone in horsehide Crossbreed supertuck and an LCP two tone in a recluse back pocket holster with room for spare mag. My most recent purchase was the SR22. Love this gun. As much fun to shoot as any of my guns, will be my new "semi auto trainer gun" (was previously my P-95, but I sold that to buy my 9c). Ruger fan-boy anyone? Lol
    lol you're a beginner fan boy. When you have 10+ Rugers then you might be an intermediate fan boy. I take some flak for predominantly owning Rugers but I pull/squeeze the trigger and they go bang and are more accurate than I am. At this point I'm fine with that, and my wallet agrees too!
    Philly Boy and Pkupmn98 like this.

Well.....I sent an info request off to Ruger, asking them about this trigger problem on the LC9. Here is my original email, along with their reply for anyone wishing to know WHY the trigger pull weight is high:

Thank you for using the Ruger On-Line Customer Support Request Form.

This e-mail is in response to your question or comment of 06/17/2012
    Request No: 143640

Comment / question:

What's problem w/trigger on that LC9? Seen several reports of this being a terrible trigger.Knowing Ruger for being one of best firearms availble (at a reasonable price) wonder if something got missed on this gun. Also, have heard that the SR9C has the best trigger available on almost ANY gun. Good job there. Here's link to a posting on the LC9: Ruger LC9, SR9C & SR22 I own a few Rugers-love them. Thanks guys.

Response:
    Thank you for your feedback. The LC9 was designed as a lightweight concealable carry, close range pistol. It was designed with a single strike double action only trigger pull and was not intended as a target quality trigger. The length of the trigger pull is needed to draw the hammer back far enough to allow the energy needed to detonate the primer. There is no sear, as with a single action pistol. The trigger bar draws the hammer back and at a point the hammer slips off the trigger bar and fires the pistol. If shortened, there is a real possibility of misfires. For this reason we do not recommend altering the firing mechanism in any way.

If you need further information, please visit our website at www.ruger.com or contact us at:

Revolvers, shotguns, rifles, 10/22 Charger Pistol: (603) 865-2442
    Pistols: (928) 778-6555
    Serial Number History Information: (603) 865-2424

Please note: This e-mail is sent from a notification-only address that cannot accept incoming e-mail. Please do not reply to this message.

Sincerely,
    Ruger Firearms

The trigger pull on the LC9 is 6.3 lbs.

The reason why most can't shoot the LC9 well is that they try to use the same trigger pull as they do with all of their other pistols. Unless you have small hands, use the crease or the second pad of your finger to pull the trigger instead of the first pad. The LC9 and LCP are too small to be shooting with the first pad of your trigger finger. The LC9 trigger and grip is different from the others you mentioned. You can't try the same trigger stroke and expect the same results.

I pull the trigger of the LC9 with the trigger just past the crease on the side of my second pad and get a trigger pull that is straight back and so solid that the front sight doesn't move. I frequently get large, one hole groups with slow aimed fire, about 1 shot every second or so.

This picture was taken after 14 rounds (two mags) at about 15 yards.

"I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." - Thomas Jefferson

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chevyguy85 View Post
    lol you're a beginner fan boy. When you have 10+ Rugers then you might be an intermediate fan boy. I take some flak for predominantly owning Rugers but I pull/squeeze the trigger and they go bang and are more accurate than I am. At this point I'm fine with that, and my wallet agrees too!
    Owning 10+ Rugers is like having Jay Leno's garage full of Toyota Corollas and Honda Civic's..........
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Quote Originally Posted by Chevyguy85 View Post
    Oh, I have my sights on a 10-22 or 3, would love a revolver or two also, those sp 101's look awesome.
    Ruger SR9c
    Ruger LCP
    Ruger SR22

I have the SR9c and LC9. I don't know how anyone can say the LC9 is not a range gun. It's accurate and the recoil is not bad to me. I did put a Hogue grip on mine which makes a difference in grip and absorbing recoil.

I did have 2 light strikes with the SR9c. Both were in the first 50 rounds, both were WWB ammo, and both fired when I put them back in. I also did not clean the gun properly before I shot it the first time. I've put another 350 rounds through it since then with no issues. I've only been able to put about 100 rounds through the LC9 and had no hiccups.

I alternate between the 2 guns for carry depending on my outfit. I got a Mackenzie leather/kydex holster for the SR9c and a Smart Carry Pro IWB for the LC9.

I did have one problem with my SR9c after 600 rounds. The slide lock spring became disengaged and would hang below the slide lock mechanism causing the slide to lock open when shells were still in the magazine. The Ruger representative had never heard of this type of failure before. The rep emailed an overnight shipping label with insurance while I was still on the phone with her. My gun went out on Friday and by Friday of the following week I had the gun returned to me. The Fedex guy allowed my 16 year old daughter to sign for the package (it was for 21+ signature only). Good going Fedex!! I'm surprised they didn't chuck it over the fence like other packages. Anyhow, the Ruger customer service was really good.

Moreover on the LC9 trigger.....if the LC9 was striker fire or dual action like the SR22, I would have been more interested in this gun. The gun feels really good in your hand; size & weight etc. However, I can understand not having a light trigger in a pocket gun for safety reasons.....especially if you chamber a round when you carry. When I carry my SR9c, I prefer not to chamber a round because I hate having a "hot" gun around my family each time I prepare to carry for the day. Chamber or not to Chamber is something everyone has to think about with EDC.

Quote Originally Posted by C hawk Glock View Post
    Owning 10+ Rugers is like having Jay Leno's garage full of Toyota Corollas and Honda Civic's..........
    True, but since I don't have a budget like Jay Leno's the higher end stuff will have to wait. For now I'm perfectly satisfied and not buying the $700+ guns means I save more for whatever I think of next to add. Next edition will be one of those funny glock thingies since they are the only one that makes a reliable and affordable 10mm, for me anyway.

Once you get one of those funny Glock thingies, you will be spending like Leno, it's a sickness that you can't cure except by buying more! Think I'm crazy? Wait and see...
    Light travels faster than sound...thats why some people appear bright before they speak

Do you guys know if the recoil spring assembly on the SR9c comes apart? Also have any of you replaced the assembly or guide rod on the SR9c or LC9 with a Galloway stainless steel and can report on how they work?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links