How NOT to shoot a revolver

This is a discussion on How NOT to shoot a revolver within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This is a short, highly informative video from Hickok45: How NOT to shoot a revolver . Especially with snubbies, you don't want to index your ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By shockwave
  • 1 Post By wmhawth

Thread: How NOT to shoot a revolver

How NOT to shoot a revolver

This is a short, highly informative video from Hickok45:

How NOT to shoot a revolver.

Especially with snubbies, you don't want to index your finger along the frame.

But what I really wanted to share here is how he unloads the unspent round. Perfect example of safe handling.
    babarock likes this.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

2. Remove Ads

I always dig his home range.

Revolvers are different animals for those not used to them. I learned on them and had to get used to bottom feeders.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

I can see how someone used to shooting semi's picks up a revolver and without 'some' training learns an important life lesson...good 'reminding post'.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I grew up on revolvers and switch back and forth now with autos. I just use the same old DA revolver grip on all of em. Might not shoot my autos as well as some but I got all my thumbs.

Knew not to hold one like that, and knew about a guy losing his thumb with the 500 S&W, but never dreamed a smaller one do that to a rolled up target.

Yep ,now I can explain to my wife how I get holes in my underwear
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I've shot thumbs forward on .357 Magnum revolvers for years with no more "damage" than powder residue on my thumb tips.
    With "Super Magnums" like the .500 it's serious safety hazard, but a. 357 isn't going to hurt you unless your gun is seriously out of time and shaving lead like crazy or your cylinder gap is way out of spec.

Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    I've shot thumbs forward on .357 Magnum revolvers for years with no more "damage" than powder residue on my thumb tips.
    With "Super Magnums" like the .500 it's serious safety hazard, but a. 357 isn't going to hurt you unless your gun is seriously out of time and shaving lead like crazy or your cylinder gap is way out of spec.
    I have seen several shooters on TV gun shows firing revolvers semi auto style with thumb forward and near the cylinder gap. If you are doing it without injury and shooting well, good on ya. As for me it's left thumb wrapped over right thumb for revolvers and thumbs forward for semi autos. Close enough for powder residue on thumb tips is too close to the front of a revolver cylinder for me.
    BugDude likes this.

VIP Member
    This is an interesting topic to me in part because we have a number of folks who pocket carry
    revolvers and advocate shooting them from within the pocket if need be. IT looks like that would be a pretty
    bad idea, though perhaps a needed act of desperation, as surely you would set your pants on fire
    and take a chunk out of your hide.

Similarly, we have had a number of posts on firing from the hip retention position. And, even Guantes
    illustrations of DATD, how he rests the gun on the crook of the bent elbow, seems potentially problematic
    with a revolver.

Thoughts anyone?
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Links