My LC9 is a little tackdriver

This is a discussion on My LC9 is a little tackdriver within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; At first my group sizes with my LC9 were paper plate sized. I did a lot of dry firing watching the front sight and found ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By tokerblue
  • 1 Post By Chesafreak

Thread: My LC9 is a little tackdriver

At first my group sizes with my LC9 were paper plate sized. I did a lot of dry firing watching the front sight and found that adjusting my grip so that I pull the trigger with the crease or even the second pad of my finger results in a perfect trigger pull (straight through, not staged) with no front sight movement on trigger break. Now my groups are down to closed fist size or smaller. Most shots at 15 yards or less go into one ragged hole.

In this picture from my last range visit (Friday after work) I fired 2 mags (14 rounds) from about 15 yards and most were center bullseye. I see so many posting about how the LC9 is inaccurate, or less accurate than "X". Thats simply not true. The trigger pull just takes more practice to shoot well. After around 500 or so rounds through it and a lot of dry firing the trigger has improved from the break in.

"I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." - Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Chesafreak View Post
    In this picture from my last range visit (Friday after work) I fired 2 mags (14 rounds) from about 15 yards and most were center bullseye. I see so many posting about how the LC9 is inaccurate, or less accurate than "X". Thats simply not true. The trigger pull just takes more practice to shoot well.
    I don't think anyone doubts that the LC9 is accurate. As you mentioned, the trigger is the obstacle. The heavy trigger pull makes it much more difficult to be accurate with it than other guns in it's class.
    BurgerBoy likes this.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote." ~ Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by tokerblue View Post
    I don't think anyone doubts that the LC9 is accurate. As you mentioned, the trigger is the obstacle. The heavy trigger pull makes it much more difficult to be accurate with it than other guns in it's class.
    The trigger pull is only 6.3 lbs, slightly more than a stock Glock. I think its the length of pull and trigger finger positioning that prevents many from realizing the LC9's inherent accuracy. Many that I have talked to try to shoot it with the pad of the trigger finger like they do their larger pistols, and they see a big improvement when they give it more finger.

For a pocket/ankle/IWBAppendix EDC pistol, I like the double action trigger.
    mr.stuart likes this.

It was somewhere around round 600 that the LC9 came together for me and the groups tightened up. It's very comfortable to shoot, quick to reacquire the target, and very easy to carry. Its lightness and rounded contours are not matched by many other guns in its class. It also gets perfect marks in the reliability department.

I also carry the SR9c on occasion but it's increasingly becoming a HD gun for me.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

Quote Originally Posted by shockwave View Post
    It was somewhere around round 600 that the LC9 came together for me and the groups tightened up. It's very comfortable to shoot, quick to reacquire the target, and very easy to carry. Its lightness and rounded contours are not matched by many other guns in its class. It also gets perfect marks in the reliability department.

I also carry the SR9c on occasion but it's increasingly becoming a HD gun for me.
    That's my set-up. The SR9c on the nightstand and the LC9 in my holster! I still would like the LC9 to have a trigger like the SR9c! Bit that's not going to happen...
    Tony

Until I can replace the sights, I am painting them with florescent yellow spray paint from Wal Mart. I just put on the first coat. I sprayed it on the end of a toothpick and dotted them with it. The rear sights still blur out, but the front sight is definitely easier to pick up. I am adding a second coat later.

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar
    I will try the second finger pad, never thought of that. I do love the LC9 though. It is a gun you will actually carry instead of 'I will just leave it in the car'.
    Pain is the best teacher,but nobody wants to go to his class.

When the past smothers the present, there is only desperation. When the future absorbs the present, life stands still. In either case a decision must be made because you only live now and you are only what you are now.

My wife just chose the LC9 as her carry gun. We took it to the range yesterday and put about 100 rounds through it to start getting used to it. It does take a good bit of focus and care to get used to that trigger but by the end we were both starting to rein in the groupings. We found a great deal that came with the gun and lasermax grip laser for less than 400 so we couldn't pass it up. Very pleased so far!!

My groupings were within a 5 inch circle at 7yds. They were just all low and left! I'll have to try and get rid of the anticipation and maybe try a different finger placement...

Same distance with my SR9c and the groupings were a little smaller, and right on target! The trigger makes a big difference!
    Tony

the Wife has an lc9, I have put a couple hundred rounds through it and never had a problem with it, maybe because I was used to my lcp when she got it... I really don't have an issue with the trigger either... just seems to shoot where I point it...
    I recently Picked up a gen 3 glock 26, and really like the trigger in it, but i can still shoot the DA in both the rugers. I still need more trigger time with the glock but the first few hundred rounds went down range very nicely.

Links