How do you holster your gun?

This is a discussion on How do you holster your gun? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; How do you holster your gun? I recently got my P95 and have been debating on how to holster it. Right now it's open carry ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: How do you holster your gun?

Question How do you holster your gun?

How do you holster your gun? I recently got my P95 and have been debating on how to holster it. Right now it's open carry until I get a new holster but I want opinions... Is it chambered/unloaded with safety on or off (if you have one) and if it is loaded do I buddy up? I had it loaded and buddied up with safety on and my father-in-law said it's "not safe" he keeps his safety off and loaded so all he had to do is cock it... There are a few things I can see with both I haber two kids and so if they were to ever get ahold of them (they won't with out me being there) then it's easier for them to take the saftey off and shoot then to cock it....but when your out and about and somthing were to happen it's easier to take saftey off then to cock it... Im still up in the air...soooo ideas thoughts let me know

2. Remove Ads

I keep my finger away from the trigger and 'look' the gun in, making sure all fabric (shirt, whatever) is clear. I then push the gun in by the back of the slide until it's firmly seated in place.

Safety on if it has one, and always loaded.

Senior Member Array Inspector71's Avatar
    I carry a revolver most of the time holstered with six in and hammer down. When I carry one of my Glocks it always fully stoked with one in chamber.
    rdpG19 and Reaperman357 like this.
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. Because it's in English, thank a vet

My carry pistol is always loaded. 3 out of my 4 current carry pistols have no external safety and striker fired, and one has an external safety and exposed hammer and it's SAO. Last Ruger P series I had was DA/SA P89DC.
    Here's what I see from here..................you are ultimately responsible for your pistol in any condition. If your pistol is not on you or with you, you cannot know it's condition. You cannot make your pistol safe for anyone else. You either limit access to you alone or put it in the safe. What exactly is "not safe"? A holster is by no means a deterrent nor a safety device. I won't comment on the chamber loaded, safety on/off, cocking the hammer....etc ordeal because those are mute points and shouldn't even be pondered at this point........you start at square one and keep the firearm away from the kids. Sometimes the simplest answers have a tendency to blow otherwise over-thought and intriguing questions out of the water. No mechanical device can be smarter than a human being. Therefore......you have no need in attempting to out-think a mechanical device nor arguing about how to go about how to do so with any other intelligent human being. If you're out on a limb, never cut on the trunk side. Wisdom is inevitably inevitable.....thing is it always seems to be a matter of timing whether that wisdom is gained by the one who seeks it, or by those who learn from others lack thereof.

Case in point.........how much information (that you asked for) did you gain from the first two responses here? Who read everything that you were asking? Quick responses could be the average, but sometimes you need to assess the situation before you give a response. There are those times however you may not have enough time to do so.....those times you go in as well prepared as you can be.

PM me any time.

Trying to decipher your post.

First - what do you mean by "do I buddy up?"

Next - FIL keeps his gun "safety off and loaded so all he had to do is cock it." Sounds like it might be a 1911, but I hope not. (The safest useful way to carry a 1911 is with a loaded chamber and with the thumb safety engaged - a/k/a "cocked and locked", a/k/a Condition One.)

Last: You have a Ruger P95, but how you carry it depends on which model it is. If it's a decocker model, then once you chamber a round you activate the decocker, and now your gun is ready to fire with a long, deliberate trigger pull. If it's a manual safety model, then after you chamber a round, you engage the safety, then holster it. When you need to draw the weapon, disengage the safety during the draw. Sights on the threat, safety off; sights off the threat, safety on. Double action only model, all you have to do is chamber the first round, then the gun is ready to go, just like a revolver - no extra levers to move, just the trigger with a longish pull.

If you need to get your head around the concept of carrying the gun with a round in the chamber, I won't go over extensively plowed ground but instead will steer you to the the search function. Look for "chambered round" or "loaded chamber" or similar. Numerous long posts exist where that topic has been nearly beaten to death.
    sensei2 and JDE101 like this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Whenever possible I try to use my hands...
    tcox4freedom likes this.
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

Very carefully.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Trying to decipher your post.

First - what do you mean by "do I buddy up?"

Next - FIL keeps his gun "safety off and loaded so all he had to do is cock it." Sounds like it might be a 1911, but I hope not. (The safest useful way to carry a 1911 is with a loaded chamber and with the thumb safety engaged - a/k/a "cocked and locked", a/k/a Condition One.)

Last: You have a Ruger P95, but how you carry it depends on which model it is. If it's a decocker model, then once you chamber a round you activate the decocker, and now your gun is ready to fire with a long, deliberate trigger pull. If it's a manual safety model, then after you chamber a round, you engage the safety, then holster it. When you need to draw the weapon, disengage the safety during the draw. Sights on the threat, safety off; sights off the threat, safety on. Double action only model, all you have to do is chamber the first round, then the gun is ready to go, just like a revolver - no extra levers to move, just the trigger with a longish pull.

If you need to get your head around the concept of carrying the gun with a round in the chamber, I won't go over extensively plowed ground but instead will steer you to the the search function. Look for "chambered round" or "loaded chamber" or similar. Numerous long posts exist where that topic has been nearly beaten to death.
    buddy up... Full mag in chamber a round take mag out full mag and put back in 16 rounds instead of 15
    And it's a D/A

Reluctantly.

VIP Member
    I am also a bit confused are you talking about methods of carry or the physical act of reholstering?

Method of carry has already been covered. Insert mag, chamber a round, activate safety or decocker and carry on. If you want to top off the mag it is all up to you.

If the issue is reholstering there is absolutely no reason to speed reholster your weapon. Finish doing what you are doing with it, decock/safety on, reholster slowly and look the gun into the holster if needed keeping your finger off the trigger.
    suntzu likes this.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

How you carry day to day and why basicly and what are your thoughts on other ways

VIP Member
    Your "buddy up" reference is generally refered to as "+1" around here as in "I load my G30 10+1".

How do I carry?

1911 - Cocked and Locked (Condition 1)
    Striker Fired (with no thumb safety) - +1 (whatever the mag capacity is +1 in the chamber)
    Striker Fired (with thumb safety) - +1 with the safety on
    Revolver - all chambers loaded, double action mode (hammer down if you can see the hammer)

In all cases I have the full compliment of rounds the gun is designed to handle and if there is an external safety, it is engaged. All are carried in a good quality holster (type and materials may vary) that covers the trigger guard to prevent accidental activiation of the trigger. If I plan on doing strenuous activity (or am carrying in a shoulder holster) I have a thumb break on the holster.

Holsters I use range from IWB, OWB, Crossdraw/driving & shoulder holster. My main and preferred holster is a Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro. Can be worn IWB (my preference) or OWB. It is expensive, but a good value, i.e., you get what you pay for.

Now to answer the title question - slowly, deliberately and with my finger well clear of the trigger.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

I carry "full up to the goozer pipe" as I used to hear growing up, meaning +1, and ready to shoot (safety off). I have a couple that are hammered DA/SA and I carry them decocked and safety off. Why? Because carrying a gun in any other way (except a 1911, then only cocked and locked) just seems silly to me.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

I carry my gun with the chamber loaded,and ready to fire depending on gun that could be a long DA trigger pull on the first round on a Sig DA/SA,or on striker fired like glockor DAO pull the trigger,or my 1911's loaded safety on disengage safety pull the trigger.Some guns are not meant to carry with the hammer down on a loaded chamber,if the gun is dropped on the hammer it could cause a discharge.You need to know how your gun is meant to be carried
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I stick the pointy end in first.
    BurgerBoy, pfries, suntzu and 3 others like this.
    Yoda, I am, yes.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links