Wanting a pocket 9mm-- Kahr PM9 or Kel-Tec P11

This is a discussion on Wanting a pocket 9mm-- Kahr PM9 or Kel-Tec P11 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; As the title says, I'm contemplating a new pocket carry weapon. I have narrowed the field down to the PM9 ans the Kel-Tec P11. I'm ...

View Poll Results: Kahr PM9 or Kel-Tec P-11

Voters
47. You may not vote on this poll
  • P-11

9 19.15%
  • PM9

38 80.85%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Wanting a pocket 9mm-- Kahr PM9 or Kel-Tec P11

As the title says, I'm contemplating a new pocket carry weapon. I have narrowed the field down to the PM9 ans the Kel-Tec P11.
    I'm going to list the pros and cons of both below and see which gun is the best for me. All of you are more than welcome to offer your own input.

Kel-Tec P11 PROS:
    1. Time-proven- debuted in 1995
    2. personal experience with this weapon
    3. compact and lightweight
    4. holds 10 rounds
    in a standard, double-stack mag
    5. accepts S&W 5900 series mags
    6. double-action only, hammer-fired operation
    7. retails for less than $300
    8. reliable and easy to clean
    CONS:
    1. dosen't like hollowpoint ammo due to manufacturing defescts (burrs, machining marks on feed ramp)
    2. prefers ammo weighing 124gr. or more, due to its short-recoil, locked breech action
    3. ships with one magazine
    4. unsure on +P ammo
    5. no manual safety- not a deal-breaker for me, YMMV

Kahr PM9
    PROS:
    1. comes with two mags- one 6-round flush-fit, and one 7-round extended grip mag
    2. double-action only, striker-fired operation
    3. match-grade barrel, metal parts are machined
    4. very compact, due to the single-column magwell
    5. accepts +P ammo?

CONS:
    1. RETAILS FOR OVER $500 BRAND NEW
    2. no manual safety- again, not a deal-breaker, YMMV
    3. no personal experience with Kahr Arms
    4. holds less than 10 rounds
    5. debuted in 2004?
    6. seems to be hard to find one in local gun shops

So now I need you guys to sell me on one or the other- I'm leaning more towards the Kel-Tec, but the Kahr is striker-fired, just like my Glock 26.

If you are familiar with the Keltec Fluff and Buff, you will enhance the reliability of the P11. Feed ramps look like an old wash board, and with a little Dremel action, you can turn it into a mirror. Mine feeds JHP's with no problem. P11's are a carry gun. If you can, try to find one with the Hard Chrome slide. Mucho better. I've had three P11's, and they only accept Smith & Wesson Factory series 59 mags, so that limits you....Mecgars don't work. Go figure. The P11 is quite a bit thicker than the PM9 if that makes a difference to you.....it does for me as I carry a Kahr CM9 in my pocket....about $200 less than the PM9.
    I just don't see that the PM9 is worth the extra $200 over the CM9.

Sarisataka likes this.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Ditto to Zonker. I have P11 and for me it's too thick for pocket carry. I can and do pocket carry a PF9. I recently bought a CW9 which I love but not a pocket gun. I think there's a CM9 in my future for pocket...I hope.

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    had a p11 1st week from the factory. its went back a few times and just 2 weeks ago it got traded toward a Shield.
    the recoil got to me--thats the primary reason.
    im still trying to find a way to carry the Shield that is as simple and comfortable as the p11.

it was $400 out the s door. very much, for me, worth the extra $150ish
    even though im 'losing' 3 rounds.

the p11 will take +p's but not as a regular diet.

good luck after shooting all 3.
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

CM9 is a closer comparison

Shoot both......... I bet you will like the CM9 better

I went with the CM9
    sensei2 likes this.
    An imperfect servant of my Lord and Saviour, Jesus Christ

Buying American made, keeping Americans working
    ....Whenever I still can

What non-shooter are YOU planning on taking to the range?

if cost isn't a problem,pm9 all the way..also consider the Kahr cm9 and Kel Tec pf9
    sensei2 likes this.

Senior Member Array mr surveyor's Avatar
    I've owned the Kel-Tec pistols in P11, P32, P3AT and PF9.... the only one I have left is mrs. surv's P32. Of the other three, the old P11 (1995 model) was by far my favorite, but definately not a "pocket gun" (I don't like pocket carry anyway).

Of the Kahr line, I've had a CW9 for about 3 years (still love it for IWB), and finally bought a CM9 a few months ago for "boot carry" (or jacket pocket in season)... my version of pocket carry.

for the two choices being considered, the "economy version" KT P11, and the Kahr micro 9, I would also highly recommend looking at the Kahr CM9 rather than the PM9 for a closer price point comparison. The CM series is the same basic platform as the PM series with just a few relatively minor cosmetic changes.

Other considersations might be that KT has a lifetime warranty to the original purchaser.... which you may need. Kahr has a rather "limited" warranty that with most models you will never need. A "good" Kel-Tec makes a very good companion, and once you've mastered the hold and trigger will do fine as a SD handgun.... although not really made for a great deal of range work. Replacement parts for the KT can usually be had for the expense of a phone call to KT, generally within a few days. Kahr pistols rarely need replacement parts, and can handle range work, and are rated for +p ammunition.

For an extra hundred bucks or so, I'd take the CM9 (or my favorite CW9) over the P11.

jmo

surv

VIP Member
    CM9/CM40

They're not that much more...better trigger...PF9 trigger guard is too tight for me.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

mkh
    I voted the P11 but my actual pocket 9mm is a PF9 which wasn't a choice. Only .88" thick and I don't see any reason to pay the extra money for a Kahr.

Between the two, PM9.

I did not vote. Since Kel-Tec is one of the options, I offer something that is manufactured by former Kel-Tec employees.

Last month, my son gave me a DiamondBack (DB9). It gets very mixed reviews. As of this writing, between the two of us, we have shot over 300 rounds with no issues.

Here are the specs:
    Capacity: 6+1 Rounds
    Weight: 11 Ounces
    Length: 5.60"
    Height: 4.00" with mag
    Width: 0.80"
    Barrel Length: 3.00"
    Firing Mechanism: Striker Fire
    Trigger Pull: DAO 5 lbs

I still prefer my G 36 but the DB9 is very very easy to conceal in the pockets of my shorts.
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144

Ruger owners check our sister forum http://rugerpistolforums.com a great site to share and learn about your Ruger pistols.

CM9 or CW9 Both are real good guns

VIP Member
    I have a P-11.

The trigger takes two mules to pull, but the pistol eats anything I have feed it, HP included.
    It was bought in 2009 for a go-to-work gun and leave in a locked car.

IF you can afford the Kahr, go for that, unless you don't mind a pistol you only fire a few rounds through(50-100) a year.
    It has not given me any problems with 400+ round through it.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

I recently put a down payment on a Ruger LCR revolver in .38 Spl. If it ends up working out, I may just give up on the whole concept of the small (defined as smaller than a Glock 26) "pocket 9" semi autos. I'm on my third PM9, and there is just too much drama for my liking.
    dean1818 likes this.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Ive owned one Keltec and two Kahrs. The PF9 was hands down the worst firearm Ive ever owned. Neither Kahr was a bad gun. But again, I no longer own either... But between the two, I vote Kahr.
    Washington Post 06/28/2010 re: Supreme Court Decision
    "The court's decision means that the enigmatically worded Second Amendment... identifies an individual right to gun ownership, like the freedom of speech, that cannot be unduly restricted by Congress, state laws or city ordinances. "

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links