Help me choose please - M&P 9c vs XD9 subcompact

This is a discussion on Help me choose please - M&P 9c vs XD9 subcompact within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Thunder71 M&P Shield sounds like it was made just for you. I have the XDM 9 Compact, M&P 9C and M&P Shield, ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Help me choose please - M&P 9c vs XD9 subcompact

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder71 View Post
    M&P Shield sounds like it was made just for you.

I have the XDM 9 Compact, M&P 9C and M&P Shield, tough call.
    Thunder - how do u like your xdm 3.89c? Do u ever use it for ccw? Or for the nightstand?

2. Remove Ads

Nightstand, I've tried to carry it and I just can't do it. Shield and M&P 9C I can all day long.

I agree with with getting the M&P 9c, Made in the USA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves."--Ronald Reagan

Thanks for all the replies! Made in the USA does is definetly a plus on the S&W. It's really hard not to be impulsive with the xd in a pawn shop locally - trade in the LC9 put up a little cash and walk out with it today without my pocketbook taking a big hit- it's very tempting as I liked them both so much. I am leaning towards the S&W though.

I appreciate all the help!

Palmetto arms has a sale
    m&p 9 or 40
    Compact or fs for $399.
    can't go wrong

Sent from my DROID RAZR

Dude, I'd hate to be behind you in line at a fast-food counter.

Quote Originally Posted by Lish View Post
    I meant to say I've pretty well ruled out the Shield. It's only slightly smaller than the M&P 9c, what I gain in the little size difference I lose in the magazine capacity. I really think I can work around the slightly larger size of the M&P 9c or the XD9 Compact.
    I'm leaning really hard toward getting a Shield. Out of curiosity, why did you rule out the Shield? I'm going to assume the loss of capacity...but maybe some other reason?

Quote Originally Posted by Mattmann View Post
    Palmetto arms has a sale
    m&p 9 or 40
    Compact or fs for $399.
    can't go wrong

Sent from my DROID RAZR
    I got SO excited would have bought it right now - out of stock

Thanks though, I'm not very familiar with online gun sales yet and hadn't found that page. Will keep an eye out.

Quote Originally Posted by Phisherman View Post
    I'm leaning really hard toward getting a Shield. Out of curiosity, why did you rule out the Shield? I'm going to assume the loss of capacity...but maybe some other reason?
    I've held it several times and was considering it but side by side with the 9c they were close enough for me overall. The magazine capacity is pretty much it. When I held the 9c it just felt right out of the two.

By just holding the M&P 9c and the xd subcompact empty in the store I was saying I like the feel of the M&P out of the 2 but wanted to shoot them before choosing, I was suprised how much I liked shooting both.

Quote Originally Posted by Lish View Post
    I've held it several times and was considering it but side by side with the 9c they were close enough for me overall. The magazine capacity is pretty much it. When I held the 9c it just felt right out of the two.
    Thank you for the feedback. I've held the Shield and love how it feels but need to compare it to the 9c. For me, capacity is and isn't an issue. Kind of a 'flip of the coin' problem in regard to how I view capacity. I flip flop on my opinion more often than I change my undies (once a week whether they need changed or not).

Quote Originally Posted by Phisherman View Post
    Thank you for the feedback. I've held the Shield and love how it feels but need to compare it to the 9c. For me, capacity is and isn't an issue. Kind of a 'flip of the coin' problem in regard to how I view capacity. I flip flop on my opinion more often than I change my undies (once a week whether they need changed or not).
    Decision making has never been my strong suit - I flip flop too. I'll pretty well decide then think "well...but..." It brings flashbacks to being a kid at 7-11 and my dad offering to buy me a candy bar - I'd stand in front of all those choices and not be able to decide. I can still hear him say "It's just a **** candybar!" I just really want something I will love - love to carry but still love at the range too...I don't want to regret my decision this time next year like I've done with the LC9. With the LC9 I never went though more than 21 rounds on a range trip. The other day with the M&P9c and XD9 I went through 150 and was tempted to buy more I was having so much fun!!

Part of me still thinks I should consider the Shield...I live in FL where it's hot most of the time. Females often have a harder time concealing than men. Everyone says it's wonderful. But I've seen women conceal larger guns and I know it can be done. I've got a couple great larger cover shirts I can throw over a tank top with shorts. I just really like the feel of the 2 slightly larger ones I've looked at.

(and although I will NEVER buy a handgun based on the color, the 9c has removable backstraps, the Shield does not. I can get glitter backstraps for the 9c and bling it out )

Distinguished Member Array hardluk1's Avatar
    Check PM You can always add pieces of old bicycle inner tube to add to a small grip to aid you while braking it in or to keep on it. I use 3 piece on mine. 3/8" covered by a 1" and 2" trimmed to fit. Makes for a nice sticky grip and a bit thicker in the center of the grip too.

Reading this, a lot of people recommend the M&P, but I have the XD 9 service model (16+1, 4" barrel) and absolutley love it. Shot the M&P, but did not like it as much. I carry the XD 9 everyday IWB with no issues. Carry it all day and I know it is there, but it is not uncomfortable. I like the bigger gun over the compacts and sub compacts. However, what works for you may not work for me and vice versa. My 2 cents

Distinguished Member
    To add another voice to this - I started with a KelTec PF9. It shot okay but I hated shooting it. Got a Full Size M&P45. Loved it and would still have it but I couldn't afford another gun so I traded it to my brother-in-law for his Glock 23 (he made me an offer I couldn't refuse) and then I turned around and traded it off for a M&P40c (with safety but I would prefer without but I can live with it to be back in the M&P). Bought my wife the M&P shield 9mm and I got a chance to fire it and a Shield 40 side by side and the recoil was such that I couldn't distinguish a difference. For me, I love the 40c but if I could go with a Shield 40, I would do so because it is just a bit easier to conceal and is lighter. I will eventually buy one, but this time I'm keeping the 40c and will ADD the additional gun when I can afford to. And I'll be getting a full size M&P45 again at some point.

I just love the feel of the handle in my hands compared to all others I've felt. I went to a gun show recently and I tried everything I could get my hands on and nothing felt as good to me. So, of course, I would say get the M&P. It is so easy to take down and clean and I even like it better than the Glock because I hated the little spring loaded thing you had to press on the Glock whereas the takedown lever on the M&P just is easier to use in my opinion.

and I like the looks of it.
    Last edited by accessbob; June 19th, 2012 at 12:36 PM. Reason: add additional text and pic
    EDC - M&P Shield .40, Ruger P90, OR Ruger SR1911 CMD AND
    Ruger LCP in Desantis Pocket Holster (backup)
    Member - SAF, OFF,
    NRA Life Member

i love my M&P9c. i think i found my perfect CCW.

got the DeSantis mini scabbard for it. wish i would have discovered this holster a few years ago.
    Thunder71 likes this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links