Help me choose please - M&P 9c vs XD9 subcompact

This is a discussion on Help me choose please - M&P 9c vs XD9 subcompact within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'll start with I've only been shooting for a year. I have an LC9 that I have a total love/hate relationship. I love how easy ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Help me choose please - M&P 9c vs XD9 subcompact

Help me choose please - M&P 9c vs XD9 subcompact

I'll start with I've only been shooting for a year. I have an LC9 that I have a total love/hate relationship. I love how easy it is to carry but I hate shooting it. I've gotten decent with it at the range but normally I only go through 2-3 magazines and I'm done and my hand is tired.

I've been comparing guns online and decided to sell/trade the LC9 and go with something I'll actually enjoy shooting. I know, I could keep it as a back up or on those hard to conceal days, but I've made my peace with altering my dress and going with a slightly bigger gun. I don't enjoy shooting it and once I have something I like to shoot I know I won't want to practice with the LC9 anymore, I've met me - I know it will go in the safe and I won't practice so it will be useless to me at that point. I have looked at the Shield several times, but really the other guns I'm looking at are just a smidge bigger and I'm totally OK with that.

So over the last week I've spent hours and hours researching guns to check out. Even made a spreadsheet with about 5 side by side with height, width, barrel length, weight, etc and also compared to the LC9 I'm used to. After going to the gun store and holding and checking out all on my list I narrowed it down to 2(well 3 because I have a friend insist I try the Glock 26) and went to the range today to try all 3 with my friend who let me borrow her Glock.

I honestly believed I'd shoot them and be able to say "this one. I like this one right here" Nope, not so easy. I loved the M&P 9c and the XD9 subcompact both. I went through 150 rounds and went back and forth between the 2 and I loved them both!!! (I would have stayed even longer and bought more ammo I was having so much fun but I had to get home to make supper. My friend bailed out about 30 min before me to go to work) I've never had so much fun on the range! As far as accuracy, I shot about the same with both. But I can't buy both.

So I figured I could find some here with opinions on the matter. :) I realize y'all may make it a harder decision, not easier lol but I'm curious to get some opinions from owners of these guns. The only thing I can come up with at this point that sways me either way is I have found a used XD9c locally which lowers my expense. I also do like a thumb safety which the M&P has and the XD doesn't - but it does have a grip safety so that's kind of a wash.

So, thought?

2. Remove Ads

M&P Shield sounds like it was made just for you.

I have the XDM 9 Compact, M&P 9C and M&P Shield, tough call.

VIP Member
    Whatever feels best. I expect it'll be the shield, unless you have very small hands. Then try a Kahr CM9.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

I meant to say I've pretty well ruled out the Shield. It's only slightly smaller than the M&P 9c, what I gain in the little size difference I lose in the magazine capacity. I really think I can work around the slightly larger size of the M&P 9c or the XD9 Compact.

sounds like either would make a good choice for you,but i'd choose the M&P over the XD..the XD's always felt more blocky,and have that strangely high bore axis.my vote goes to the M&P 9c

I think you would like the m&p, plus its STAINLESS never have to worry about rust just an extra plus.

Stainless will absolutely rust. I would go with the m&p myself. I have a 9c and love it. My edc so far. Unless you like the "laser tag" looks of the xd9!

Sent from my DROID RAZR

IMO the M&P has better ergos and no unneeded safety's (Assuming you get the one with no thumb safety). The XD has the better stock trigger.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Distinguished Member Array sid1's Avatar
    I can only speak for the XD and how nice trigger is, and only read about the trigger on the M&P not being up to some folks standards until an apex kit has been installed. But since I do not have first hand experience with the M&P double stack I can not say how the trigger really is? I do have a M&P Shield and the trigger is sweet on that gun, but S&W changed the trigger with this model, and heard S&W was going start putting this trigger design in all the M&P models, which if this is the case, and is currently happening (If True) you will love the M&P.

M&P 9c
    Ed Brown Kobra 45
    Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II
    Glock 33

VIP Member
    I and eight other people I know, from relatives to acquaintances have an M&P in some variant,(3 have the Compact9 1 has the .40c)and wewe all felt it(M&P) was the right pistol.
    The trigger to me feels great, don't know what all the fuss is about.

XD didn't feel right, plus its made in Croatia,vs the US if that matters to you.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

sgb
    M&P 9c hands down
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

About a month ago I went through just what you are going through now. I had an LC9 which I had wanted so badly. Problem was, I couldn't shoot the thing well at all. First and only gun that I ever had an issue with as far as accuracy. Loved the size and CC ability but that trigger just wasn't for me. So, I started doing the comparison tests.

I had it narrowed down to the M&P9, and the Ruger SR9C. I had previously had the SR9C but wanted to try something new and become familiar with another established brand. Despite the fact that the rental M&P I tried out failed to eject 3 times in 2 mags, I chalked it up to being a dirty rental and was still interested. While hitting 6 different shops in one day I was shown the XD9SC. I don't know why it didn't make my cut list but after handling it I decided to buy (Getting $250 for the Ruger was not bad on trade) and after shooting and carrying it I am THRILLED with my decision.

Fits my hand wonderfully, shoots straight and accurately, carries well in a Remora or a Leather IWB and it looks mean. :)

You've narrowed your choices to two (or 3 with the glock) great guns. Either way you cant lose. I love my Springfield and will probably add another down the road. You're in a win-win situation. Make a selection, enjoy it, and don't look back.

Im a glock guy and love the glock triggers but hate the springfield lines and do like and own a few S&Ws. I also own an xdm also and I wont buy another one. To break down the trigger housing or firing block is a lot more complicated than a glock or M&P and the ergos of it arent too shabby to me either ( I like to break them down and clean them really good after a few thousand rounds). Go with the S&W you wont regret it. If you can get the new shield then you will really love it, one of my favorite triggers yet

Quote Originally Posted by sgb View Post
    M&P 9c hands down
    +1. Used to really love my xd9sc. And then I tried the m&p9c and it was a no-brainer decision to make the change.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links