Ruger SP101 Owners

Ruger SP101 Owners

This is a discussion on Ruger SP101 Owners within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just picked up a SP101 with 2.25" barrel & love this revolver. It came with some houge grips already plus the originals. What are ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Ruger SP101 Owners

Ruger SP101 Owners

I just picked up a SP101 with 2.25" barrel & love this revolver. It came with some houge grips already plus the originals. What are some of the custom work or tuning that you guys have had done?

I would say that if you are comfortable with the stiff trigger pull, leave it and wear it in under normal maintenance and use. If not, you can have spring work done that will ease the trigger pull on DA. Personally I would leave it and wear it in but I know of some that have had problems and wanted a softer pull.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

What are some of the custom work or tuning that you guys have had done?
    No custom work done on mine. The SP101 trigger, never bad, gets better with use. I have swapped out grip panels on mine and sometimes use a Pachmyer grip.
    Attached Images

I've kept my SP101 stock except for two things.
    I put a Trijicon night sight on the front, and wood inserts in the grip...the gun is a tank.
    My advice...keep it pretty much stock.
    mprp likes this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

If you have the double-action only, I'd say you can't do wrong with a trigger job. I'm going to do that to mine.

But what a great little revolver....

I did a IBOK trigger job and put in a 10 pound hammer spring.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Well, since you already have the Hogue grips.......I really wouldn't do anything else to it. The trigger will only get better over time. If you want to speed up the process, you can lube your Ruger well, then dry fire 1,000-2000 times. I did that and now have shot mine about 3,000 times. The trigger is now very smooth......... I also have a GP-100 that's a blast to shoot, but the SP101 is my favorite da revolver.

I suggest a crimson trace laser grip the rubber one I have one and I love it.
    "Death Overcomes All"
    "All it takes for Evil to triumph is for Good men to stand by and do nothing"

Cool

Wolff springs, Big Dot front sight and Pachmayr grips.

Remington Golden Saber 125 gr. .357 for defensive carry.

Firearms Comparison - Shotguns Comparison - Rifles Comparison - Remington Guns Comparison

photo.jpg
    click image to enlarge......

OS
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

debur, remove sharp edges and polish hammer strut. Makes for a much smoother double action trigger pull ..
    RIP Jeff Cooper

Senior Member Array LoveLeather's Avatar
    I would have been happy with a stock SP but when I was looking for one, the base gun for a custom job from Gemini Custom was about 75 bucks cheaper than here in Cali...so I figured it was like getting $75 off of Marc's custom package...so I went for it...have to say, he does great work...I went for the base package (action job, chamfering, mled and bead blast) I also added the small wonder fiber optic sight. It really makes shooting it in outdoor light much more fun.....

Philly Boy likes this.

I put a wolff 10# main spring in mine and wooden grip inserts in the factory grips. I'd love to have it melted (corners rounded and polished smooth as glass), but I'd also like to have some scroll work engraved. Can't decide which one, so it has stayed like it came. I have also considered a night sight on the front, just haven't gotten around to it. They're great firearms!!!
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Mine is pure stock, DAO and ported. Might put a fiber optic front sight on sometime.

I bought the three spring Wolff Set for our SP101. (The set comes with a 9#, 10# and 12# mainspring and a trigger return spring.)

I replaced the 14# factory mainspring with the 9# Wolff and have gotten 100% ignition with it. The wife now LOVES it!!!

Also replaced the plastic grip inserts with rosewood.

Only other thing I do is I polish it all the time while watching TV, using car wax on it occasionally. It's stainless steel and now looks like a "melted" chrome finish. The shine on it is amazing. A little elbow grease will do wonders and to me polishing is a soothing way to wind down in the evening.
    Yeah, My old CCW 9 MM is nicknamed "Barkey"
    New CCW LCP is "Elsie"
    and my 12 Ga S x S Coach gun is "Boomer"
    Wife's weapon is "Miss Pearl" (SP101 .357 w/mother of pearl inserts)
    We're old so we can get away with that.

In addition to trigger work, I suggest chamfering the chamber mouths to make speedloading even faster and more positive. Polishing the trigger (where your finger presses) and rounding the edges is a nice touch, as well.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links