Swapping over my Glock night sights

This is a discussion on Swapping over my Glock night sights within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I recently got my hands on a G19 that I bought just subsequent to purchasing a new G23 and I had night sights installed on ...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Guest1
  • 3 Post By Yoda

Thread: Swapping over my Glock night sights

Swapping over my Glock night sights

I recently got my hands on a G19 that I bought just subsequent to purchasing a new G23 and I had night sights installed on that pistol. I have not shot the G23 since I had the sights installed due to me liking the G19 more. I am planning on selling the G23, but I would like to swap over my brand new sights to the G19 before I sold it due to the sights not adding much resale value. I talked to my local gun dealer, and they told me that once the sights are installed, they cannot be removed and placed on a different pistol. They told me that if I re-installed them on another pistol, that they would not stay in place correctly. Are they just BS'ing me to get me to buy another set of night sights, or is this actually correct information that they are giving me? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated about how I should proceed.

2. Remove Ads

night sights for the Glock are very easy to remove and re-install IF you have the proper tools: correct hex head wrench for the front sight; Glock or other sight pusher for the rear sight. i STRONGLY recommend against trying to use a punch and plastic or rubber hammer on the rear sights, as this could easily break the tritium vials in the night sights. sights for a 19 and a 23 should exchange with no problems about changing point of impact vis a vis the sights. a little blue lok-tite on the front sight screw, and you should be good to go. you may need to fine tune the left-right position of the rear sight to zero your guns. once you have the gun zeroed, wick a small bit of blue (removable) lok-tite under the rear sight to keep it from shifting. i have a hard time believing your LGS would feed you such a line of BS. try to find a local Glock Armorer who has the proper tools.

six years certified as a Glock Armorer (about 1999-2005). but certification has been expired for perhaps seven years, so there are probably new developments of which i am unaware.

p.s.: forgot that one set of sights is the stock plastic. the plastic front sight can be removed and installed on another gun if the tiny pin which pushes apart the 'wings' of the sight from underneath is first carefully removed, then replaced when the sight is re-installed.
    Last edited by sensei2; June 20th, 2012 at 12:54 PM.

Thankyou for the information. I wish I did have a sight pusher, but unfortunately I don't. I seems like all the dealers I know of in the Wichita area want to charge around $30 to do the swap, which I think is BS due to the fact that it is a 5 minute job. That is assuming that other local dealers won't feed me the same line of BS. I was actually considering doing the the back sight with a punch and plastic hammer, but the last thing I want to do is ruin the sights. Thankyou for the giving me the heads up on that. I have been trying to find a guy that is fairly local Glock armorer that could help me out, but I have had trouble finding someone.

Quote Originally Posted by jwbannon View Post
    Thankyou for the information. I wish I did have a sight pusher, but unfortunately I don't. I seems like all the dealers I know of in the Wichita area want to charge around $30 to do the swap, which I think is BS due to the fact that it is a 5 minute job. That is assuming that other local dealers won't feed me the same line of BS. I was actually considering doing the the back sight with a punch and plastic hammer, but the last thing I want to do is ruin the sights. Thankyou for the giving me the heads up on that. I have been trying to find a guy that is fairly local Glock armorer that could help me out, but I have had trouble finding someone.
    i would consider it a 30 minute job if everything goes well. the fact that, "all the dealers i know" are asking $30 should tell you what they think is a fair price. and would you expect subsequent sight adjustments, if they're needed, to also be free? pay the $30 and say, "thank you." or you could buy your own Glock sight pusher for around $90 and do it yourself. then you could quickly make your money back by installing sights for others at $10 a set.

I changed out a set just two days ago with a front sight tool,rubber hammer and wood dowel. There is no damage at all with the sights. It took me less than 10 minutes. I bought the front sight tool on Ebay for $18 shipped.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

If it came with factory night sights then the front is staked,remove the slide(be sure the weapon is unloaded) look inside the slide under the sight,if you see a screw they are removable,if not they are staked,the rear is removable either way.If you don't want to pay the 30.00,Glock sales the sight remover tools for 150.00 for the pair.
    sensei2 likes this.

If you are handy, it is not difficult. The right size nut driver will work on the front sight attachment, it just needs to be thin walled and with a sharp edge to grab that tiny brass bolt head. I grabbed an old one and thinned it and flattened it on my bench grinder so it would grab the tiny brass bolt head.

The rear sight is friction fit in a dovetail slot, some don't have the tiny Allen set screws. I used a dowel or punch with something over the end to protect the finish, I don't recall, but if you have ever punched out a spring pin it is similar..

When you reinstall the front sight use some medium loctite to lock the threads and the sight in place.
    Ram Rod, sensei2 and Guest1 like this.
    Yoda, I am, yes.

Thankyou all for the responses; they gave me quite alot of information that will hopefully save me some cash in the future. I decided last night that I would just go ahead and place it on armslist and see what happens. I put the G23 on there for $600, not thinking that it would sell that high. Well it sold this mornig for exactly that. I only had $500 in the gun due to it being lightly used, the TALO edition generally runs around $600 new around my area (if you can find one). I had $110 in the night sights installed, so basically I recouped all my money. I am still contemplating having night sights installed on my G19. They will install the sights for free if I buy them from their store, but I am thinking about selling the 19 too (which I will probably end up regretting). I have had my eye on a HK P30 for awhile, and got to use one the other day. I really liked the egronomics, and it performed better than any 9mm I have used. (Well accept for my Kimber Aegis, but I don't really use that for SD purposes)

Don't sell your Glock 19, you will regret it.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

Its BS and you don't need a sight pusher. A small hammer and a small punch will work just fine. Just tap it gently out of its dovetail and put the new one in the same way. The front sight will require a 3/16 front sight tool and some locktite.

Quote Originally Posted by TWO GUNS View Post
    I changed out a set just two days ago with a front sight tool,rubber hammer and wood dowel. There is no damage at all with the sights. It took me less than 10 minutes. I bought the front sight tool on Ebay for $18 shipped.
    That's what I did.I watched a couple Youtube vids(one by Dave Dawson)I put the slide in a cardboard lined vise.I used an aluminum punch.I ground a normal 3/16 nut driver down to where it was skinny enough to fit inside the slide and still go on the nut(front sight).I've done it twice now.Although I've never installed night sights this way.

Links