Charter arms?

This is a discussion on Charter arms? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So my brother is going to be getting his ccp soon and is in the market for a revolver. He is a lefty and was ...

Thread: Charter arms?

Charter arms?

So my brother is going to be getting his ccp soon and is in the market for a revolver. He is a lefty and was thinking about the charter arms southpaw alum. I am not familer with the maker and dont want him to get burned with something that is of poor quality etc. So I was wondering what experiences you guys have with the companys service and more importantly the product quality. Should I juust reccomend a j-frame??? Let me know. Thanks in advance, Derek

2. Remove Ads

For the money, a Charter is a great gun. Might not hold up as well as some other brands for thousands of rounds at the range, but for a basic SD gun, it's pretty hard to beat.

I have a 70's-vintage Stainless 2" Undercover .38 that's been 100% solid for the 30+ years I've had it. It's mostly a snake gun for out at the farm, but gets dropped in a pocket now and then for SD. Went shopping for a snub for my mom a couple years ago, and we ended up with an alloy-frame CA Off-Duty. Compared it with a S&W and the LCR, and it beat them both for size, weight, trigger, and price.

If your brother wants a range gun, he'd probably be better off with a Smith or a Ruger, but if he wants a "Carry a lot - Shoot a little" gun, the Charter is the right choice.

Regards,
    Jim

VIP Member
    Like Kilowatt3 said, If he is going to shoot the gun alot I would look elsewhere. But Charters are a great carry gun if they are not over shot. I have had a Bulldog 44 since the late 70's early 80's.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

thanks guys for the help, very helpfull advice

Senior Member Array Inspector71's Avatar
    I bought a CA Bulldog back in the 70's because I liked shooting the .44 special round. Still got the old bulldog and shoot it occasionally. After shooting multiple rounds you should check the screws while cleaning, as they sometimes tend to loosen up a little. Wouldn't part with my bulldog.
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. Because it's in English, thank a vet

The charter arms will be fine . Keep the practice ammo to the stardard loads or even a some wadcutters to start with and shoot enough +P to know how and where the hit and to CC. I have a new model righty and its fine. You can shoot most any apart if you put your mind to it.

Quote Originally Posted by hardluk1 View Post
    The charter arms will be fine . Keep the practice ammo to the stardard loads or even a some wadcutters to start with and shoot enough +P to know how and where the hit and to CC. I have a new model righty and its fine. You can shoot most any apart if you put your mind to it.
    That's what I say. I had one and it was fine. When a little lady friend needed a Carry Gun' I gave it to her. She shot it great and loved it. She still has it.

I carried one for years. It was an older "Off Duty" model. It's a department gun (used in a crime and condemned) from back before I came to work here in '89. SEVERAL officers carried it. We're, sad to say, notorious for not taking extra good care with issued guns. Despite that, and despite regular qualifications and shooting drills (we issued +p ammo back then and you had to qualify with that ammo) and all the rounds _I_ put through it, mine worked fine. It was finally just a tad loose, compared to a new S&W but still well within spec (my fomer supervisor was a gunsmith and armorer and looked it over regularly for me). It wasn't a tack driver but then it was a small 5-shot .38 spl revolver with the typical heavy DA trigger. The fact that even some only so-so shots could qualify with it ought to tell you that it's "accurate enough." ;) I hated having to turn mine in when my dept. decided to get rid of their codemned/issued guns.

I've always thought Charters were maligned unfairly. For the bucks, they're hard to beat.
    Last edited by CeltKnight; June 22nd, 2012 at 04:51 PM. Reason: grevious spelling errors ... I'm so embarrassed

I've had the blue Undercover .38 and now have the SS .44 Bulldog Pug and never had a problem with either. I polished the matt stainless on the Pug on a whim and really like the bright look now.

Links