Springfield Loaded Champion: Stainless or OD Green/Black?

This is a discussion on Springfield Loaded Champion: Stainless or OD Green/Black? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm getting close to pulling the trigger (HAHAHAHAHA!!! I crack me up! ) on a Loaded Champion. The OD Green/Black typically runs about $30.00 less ...

View Poll Results: Which Finish, Stainless or OD Green/Black?

Voters
38. You may not vote on this poll
  • Stainless

22 57.89%
  • OD Green/Black

16 42.11%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Springfield Loaded Champion: Stainless or OD Green/Black?

Distinguished Member Array SpringerXD's Avatar

Springfield Loaded Champion: Stainless or OD Green/Black?

I'm getting close to pulling the trigger (HAHAHAHAHA!!! I crack me up! ) on a Loaded Champion. The OD Green/Black typically runs about $30.00 less than the Stainless. But.....I give the stainless a slight (very slight) edge in looks. Neither finish would be a deal breaker.

So, since this is strictly subjective, what do you all say? I'm looking for any and all input. If your choice is for more than just cosmetic reasons, please say so, no matter how big or small the reason might be.

Thanks!
    "I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

2. Remove Ads

jyo
    I have a SA Loaded Champion 45 in stainless and like it A LOT! Very easy to maintain, shoots right to point of aim, runs 100%---it is my only 1911 type pistol---nothing much else to say!

Stainless is sexy.....
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Distinguished Member
    The OD/Black will wear off eventually. And when it does, the exposed carbon steel will be more prone to rusting. Not an issue with the SS, So there's that.

Aesthetically, what material/color holster do you prefer? The SS would look dead sexy in burgundy and/or exotics, while the OD/Black would look better in black, if that matters at all to you. SS would hold up much better in kydex.

This one is finished in Armory Cote....very durable so far (3 years). Springfield Armory Lightweight Champion Operator. What a shooter. I looked at the other two posted above, and went with this one. Of the two listed, I would
    go with the Lightweight Champion that is also finished with Armory Cote. The lighter weight makes it a joy to carry.

Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Distinguished Member Array SpringerXD's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by zonker1986 View Post
    This one is finished in Armory Cote....very durable so far (3 years). Springfield Armory Lightweight Champion Operator. What a shooter. I looked at the other two posted above, and went with this one. Of the two listed, I would
    go with the Lightweight Champion that is also finished with Armory Cote. The lighter weight makes it a joy to carry.

Hmmm.... thank you very much. Somehow I overlooked this one completely. I like the accessory rail and especially the lighter weight, so away we go.....

1911LOD likes this.
    "I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

I've got two reasons for choosing the stainless. It's better for a carry pistol (ease of maintenance, corrosion resistance, etc.), and I prefer the look of the wood grip panels.

Quote Originally Posted by SpringerXD View Post
    I'm getting close to pulling the trigger (HAHAHAHAHA!!! I crack me up! ) on a Loaded Champion. The OD Green/Black typically runs about $30.00 less than the Stainless. But.....I give the stainless a slight (very slight) edge in looks. Neither finish would be a deal breaker.

So, since this is strictly subjective, what do you all say? I'm looking for any and all input. If your choice is for more than just cosmetic reasons, please say so, no matter how big or small the reason might be.

Thanks!
    I pined for this 1911 for several years finally picked one up two years ago i went with the stainless.My line of thinking was that i already have black tactical type pistols i really don't want my 1911 to be that.
    The easy way is always mined.

Senior Member Array jblives2ride's Avatar
    stainless, it's clean rust resistant, and ohh so sexy
    I would rather live my life as if there is a God,
    And die to find out there isn't, than live my life
    As if there isn't, and die to find out there is.
    God Bless

Lead Moderator
    After years of carry and use my SA Champion LW shows much wear on the OD green finish . It is gone at points of the dust cover and trigger guard. Stainless should be a bit tougher, but I still really like the OD/Black finish .
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

VIP Member
    I give my vote on the SS. Now if it were a black I might have to change my vote.

I had one in SS that I sold when I got my DW CBOB. Was a nice shooting gun, after SA fixed the HP issues.
    Justified likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar
    For the reasons mentioned above, I would go with stainless. Oh, I did! :)
    Diddle
    Indusrtrial Machine Tool Technician - Certified Refrigeration Technician - CET
    NRA Life Member

I don't care for stainless handguns. They often look nice but it's just not my style. I'd be bummed of those were my only two choices. But it'll be your gun, not mine. Go with your first impression.

Senior Member Array kahrcarrier's Avatar
    Congrats on having a choice!

Locally, Springfield Champions are very hard to come by; if one, new or used, shows up at a LGS it is gone in no time.......

I'd go with the Stainless, myself, that is if I could afford one. Enjoy!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links