Gun for my wife... - Page 2

Gun for my wife...

This is a discussion on Gun for my wife... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; how about a Kahr K-9, if she wants a bit more weight? it's the all steel version comparable to your CW-9. try to have her ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Gun for my wife...

how about a Kahr K-9, if she wants a bit more weight? it's the all steel version comparable to your CW-9. try to have her handle a 9mm Shield, too. lastly i'd suggest a Sig-Sauer P-239 in 9mm. like a previous poster, i would be wary of a double stack gun for her unless she is certain it's right for her. in addition, a Glock should NOT be carried loose in a purse - there's too much chance an object could get in the trigger guard and fire the gun. she would need either a dedicated pocket in the purse with ONLY the gun in it, or a rigid holster that covers the trigger guard while the gun is in her purse. this same advice holds for any purse carried gun, but it's more important when the gun carried is a Glock

i also agree with you that your wife is ready for a semi-auto. her gun-handling skills seem quite advanced enough for a Kahr, Springfield Armory, a Glock or whatever. no need to start her with a revolver. you were smart to teach her malfunction clearance drills.

Distinguished Member
    A couple of good holsters, for inside the purse (as well as versatile outside of the purse) is a Remora or a Sticky Holster.
    EDC - Glock 21C, M&P Shield .40 OR Ruger SR1911 CMD AND
    Ruger LCP in Desantis Pocket Holster (backup)
    Member - SAF, OFF,
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array BurgerBoy's Avatar
    Have her check out a Bersa Thunder 9 Ultra Compact Pro. It weights 23oz empty and is 13+1. Very little recoil at all and it is real easy to rack the slide. It's an all metal gun instead of a plastic one. It shoots great. Never had any failures at all with mine.
    Vietnam Veteran - 1966-1970 USASA
    Carry Pistol. Gen 3 Glock 23, .40 Cal.
    Carry Pistol. Gen 3 Glock 19, 9mm.
    Bersa Thunder 9 UC Pro, 9mm. Gave To Daughter To Carry.
    Self Defense Stories
    Give me a minute before I post again.

Go with the Crimson Trace for her.
    Byron
    "HogDoc"

Really like the idea of her getting a K9! I'd never thought of that. As far as purse carry, I should have specified that she's planning on a MIC style holster or a pocket holster while in her purse. It's a no brainer that a gun shouldn't be floating around in an ocean of lip stick, chap stick, and a million other things that fit nicely in a trigger guard. We do have 3 ranges close by that have rentals and we plan on shooting a G19 and G26 this weekend. Night sights and a CT LaserGrip should do the trick too. Thanks all. Please keep the input coming.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    You know, those criteria you just listed (accurate, handles easily, can effectively use its controls/features) are some of the primary criteria I use when selecting a carry weapon. So long as a given firearm is reliable and I can effectively and quickly bring fire to bear on target, and on target under stress, then it's a strong candidate. Many people carry the Kahr CW9. If you've got a reliable one and she's very competent and happy with it, I'd say it's probably one of the better choices you could find.

The Glock 19 G4 is a good candidate, too, if she likes the features, handling and reputation for reliability and durability.

The CZ P01 should also be a candidate, if the Glock 19 has grabbed her attention. Though, it's got a bit larger grip circumference that might or might not suit her hands. Otherwise, it's highly reliable, has great capacity, is relatively light (for an all alloy gun), has a light rail.

On a carry gun, I'm a big fan of night sights. Some much prefer lasers (ie Crimson Trace). If she's not had experience with either, I'd wait on it until she's toyed around with both and had some "saddle" time. Up to her preference. You can always add them later.
    The Gen 4 G19 actually does not have a good reputation for reliability. There are myriad stories in all forums of ejection issues and not digesting ammo that other, more reliable guns like the M&P or PPQ have no issues with. I wouldn't touch a Gen 4 9mm of any model number with a 10' pole.

Look at the M&P 9c and 9 Shield as well as the Walther P99c and HK P2000SK.

For a small , soft shooter, though, it sounds like the Shield was made especially for her.

The range we went to this weekend didn't have a G19 or an XDm9 3.8" but we did rent an XD9 4". She loved the manageable recoil and she shot much better with it than with my CW9 but that gun was a POS. We were shooting Aguila 124gr. FMJ's and Federal Champion 115gr. FMJ's and we had 3 FTE's and 3 times the slide didn't lock back on an empty magazine. My thinking is that a gun of Springfield's perceived quality and reputation should NOT have 3 FTE's in 150 rnds. This certifiably turns me against getting my wife the XDm9 3.8". The FTE's made her lose all confidence in the XD line as well. Still working on getting a Kahr K9 in her hands and seeing how it goes.

I wouldn't take the XDm off your list just because you had a few problems with one XD. I've owned an XD40 4" for eight years and can honestly say I've never had a single FTE or had the slide fail to lock back on an empty mag.

Any gun can, and will fail eventually, no matter how perfect it is.
    "Hell is truth seen too late."

dear indykid: imo, you're going about this process in just the right way. you seem knowledgeable and sensible, and are making good decisions.. i'd really like to know what your wife finally chooses, and why. thanks. sensei2

My wife LOVES my G19 Gen4. DOn't just let them hold one at shop, but shoot them as well.
    Glock 20sf, Sig P938

Distinguished Member Array hardluk1's Avatar
    indykid How about you let her deside what best for her. help her by getting her to a rental range if ones near you but let her deside whats right for her. Don't be suprised if she just takes your cw9 and taells you to go something new. HA
    BurgerBoy likes this.

There is a sleeper gun out there the Khar and even Glock types are liking quite a lot, so I will tell you a little about my newish carry gun of 5 months, and about 500 rounds. It's a Bersa BP9CC, DAO, 9mm, 8+1 rounds, at 21.5oz. with an empty mag. It's close to the K9 in size, comes with a polyganol barrel standard, and has been a very suprisingly good shooter for me. I have been asked about how good it can really shoot so I put on the bench about a month ago and shoot a 1 5/8" 5 shot group at 25' with no real prep, and 124 gr. Aquila FMJ. It's running 147 gr. SD ammo with no problems too, and a lot of the smaller guns won't even shoot this stuff, and is OKed by Bersa for Plus-P also. This has become my very all time favorite carry gun, and I accually like to shoot it, comming from a guy like bigger auto target guns. You can find more info on the Bersa web site, and Bersa forum if you like. These are still pretty new in this market and a little short in supply so I don't think you can find one at a range to rent, but many of the folks at the Bersa forum seem pretty happy about meeting at a range, and loaning you a BP to shoot. One of the guys I did that for in East Texas just got his new BP9CC. This one really fits the nich, and is almost a $300 saving over the Khar, if that matters to you, would buy a holster and a case of ammo I suppose.
    BurgerBoy likes this.

Have her look at all of the models suggested above. Then have her look at everything else that's out there. Heck, that's half the fun of it anyway.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

Quote Originally Posted by mprp View Post
    Have her look at all of the models suggested above. Then have her look at everything else that's out there. Heck, that's half the fun of it anyway.
    She's fondled almost every conceivable polymer frame handgun that is of reasonable carry size. She liked the G19 and XDm 3.8" the best. I live in Indianapolis so we have about 6 great gunships at our disposal and have a huge gun show every 3 months.

Quote Originally Posted by Eichorn View Post
    I wouldn't take the XDm off your list just because you had a few problems with one XD. I've owned an XD40 4" for eight years and can honestly say I've never had a single FTE or had the slide fail to lock back on an empty mag.

Any gun can, and will fail eventually, no matter how perfect it is.
    True that! I've heard some guys curse their Kahr 9 with seething resentment. I've not had one failure in 1200 rounds now.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links