Gun for my wife...

This is a discussion on Gun for my wife... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Sig P239 and Kahr CW9 are both good choices. I have both of these and really like to shoot both of them. CW9 carries better ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Gun for my wife...

Sig P239 and Kahr CW9 are both good choices. I have both of these and really like to shoot both of them. CW9 carries better but the Sig is a great shooting gun, have her try one.
    K9, Colt 3 5 7
    Colt Python 6",4", 2.5"
    Sig P225
    Sig P239 SAS/DAK
    Colt Diamondback
    Colt Trooper .357

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by got2hav1 View Post
    Sig P239 and Kahr CW9 are both good choices. I have both of these and really like to shoot both of them. CW9 carries better but the Sig is a great shooting gun, have her try one.
    She wants a double stack. Why add weight without more mag capacity. Extra weight is fine as long as you get something worthwhile in return.

God Bless

Safety does not have to be used this gun has a trigger like a double action.

Shoot one she will change her mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Ramjet View Post
    Safety does not have to be used this gun has a trigger like a double action.

Shoot one she will change her mind.
    She has. Too much recoil. I really like that gun and prob would own it if it wasn't for the safety. Excellent reliability, price, and features but I won't ever carry a gun with a safety. Even if I keep it disengaged while carrying the thought of it engaging while carrying turns me off to it.

God Bless

Well one advanteg of the safety is if the gun was ever wrestled away from you that safety might save your life in that the bad guy cannot figure how to disengage it. The advantage you have is practice so it become second nature.

It is your choice and I understand the sentiment I joe she figures it out it is a journey and the experience along the way will make you wiser.

I would have her test fire a Sig P220 carry. It is about the same length as a XD or XDm 3.8, it has a little more weight to control the recoil and it is a great fit in my hands as well as my wife's. Here is a link and you can see the gun in action! Shooting my Sig P220 dark elite carry - YouTube
    2nd Amendment, the one that protects the rest!

So good news and bad news as far as this thread goes. My wife went with the G19 and is ridiculously good with it for the small amount of time she has been shooting. I threw on a few modifications to smooth her transition into her first handgun. I put in a 3.5lb. Ghost Inc. Connector and a Sure Touch Extended Slide Release but no night sights. She loves Glock's stock sights. So now the bad news, she wants to sell it. The good news however is that she wants to sell it so she can buy a gun she'll carry on her everyday. She doesn't like the recoil of slim frame/lightweight 9's out there like my Kahr 9 or the Walther PPS so she's interested in a .380. We've looked at every conceivable .380 out there and landed on the Kahr P380 and the Ruger LCP. Both are great guns, but I'm leaning towards the Kahr. Just thought I'd update everyone.

Distinguished Member Array Burns's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by indykid View Post
    So good news and bad news as far as this thread goes. My wife went with the G19 and is ridiculously good with it for the small amount of time she has been shooting. I threw on a few modifications to smooth her transition into her first handgun. I put in a 3.5lb. Ghost Inc. Connector and a Sure Touch Extended Slide Release but no night sights. She loves Glock's stock sights. So now the bad news, she wants to sell it. The good news however is that she wants to sell it so she can buy a gun she'll carry on her everyday. She doesn't like the recoil of slim frame/lightweight 9's out there like my Kahr 9 or the Walther PPS so she's interested in a .380. We've looked at every conceivable .380 out there and landed on the Kahr P380 and the Ruger LCP. Both are great guns, but I'm leaning towards the Kahr. Just thought I'd update everyone.
    Why does she want to sell the G19? If recoil is what she is concerned about I'm curious as to why you're considering the LCP, you're switching from a slightly bigger caliber in a bigger gun, to a slightly smaller caliber in a much smaller gun...
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable- JFK

Quote Originally Posted by Burns View Post
    Why does she want to sell the G19? If recoil is what she is concerned about I'm curious as to why you're considering the LCP, you're switching from a slightly bigger caliber in a bigger gun, to a slightly smaller caliber in a much smaller gun...
    Have to agree with Burns. A micro .380 is going to recoil more than a G19, or even a subcompact 9mm.

I have a CM9 and a Shield, and neither of them barks (or bites) nearly as hard as an LCP or a P3AT. Make sure she shoots a micro .380 before she decides she'd prefer it to your Kahr 9 or a PPS (or a CM/PM9, or a Nano or...).

Regards,
    Jim

If your lady does not like the recoil of a kahr oe glock 19 she will not be pleased with micro sized 380 ether. Same basic feel do to the much lighter weight. Better be looking more toward a bersa thunder sized 380. That would be the same weight as a glock 19 and a full 3 finger grip.

Senior Moderator
    I agree with the above. You will have the same problem with recoil going to .380 on a smaller frame.

Look for something like the Beretta Cheetah, My LGS has one with 2 mags for around the same price as the Kahr, or you can get the Bersa and use the extra $$ for ammo and range time.
    Sometimes I wonder who the old man in the mirror is....

Lord, Grant me a good sword and no need to use it.

Distinguished Member
    I'd go with the Shield. It has features built into it which gives it less perceived recoil than other small 9mm guns. My wife couldn't stand the Kel-Tec PF9. It actually hurt her hand/wrist when shooting it. But she loves her Shield and wants to shoot it all of the time. So, you may not believe me but you should try to go somewhere that she can try one out. Or you can just try to find one (somewhat of a problem at the moment) and if she really doesn't like it, the going prices in some areas could actually make you money).
    EDC - Glock 36 OR Glock 30, Ruger LC9, OR Ruger SR1911 CMD AND
    Ruger LCP in Desantis Pocket Holster (backup)
    Member - SAF, OFF,
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array Burns's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by accessbob View Post
    I'd go with the Shield. It has features built into it which gives it less perceived recoil than other small 9mm guns. My wife couldn't stand the Kel-Tec PF9. It actually hurt her hand/wrist when shooting it. But she loves her Shield and wants to shoot it all of the time. So, you may not believe me but you should try to go somewhere that she can try one out. Or you can just try to find one (somewhat of a problem at the moment) and if she really doesn't like it, the going prices in some areas could actually make you money).
    I agree, I've heard the recoil on the shield is very manageable.
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable- JFK

At the weight of a shield being 7+ oz heavier than a pf-9 it darn well should be easier to shot. Nothing special there. Just a heavier pistol. Give her a 24 oz pistol and it too will be softer shooting.

If Recoil is a concern I would not go with the .380 LCP. Its horrible. Hurts the hands. Get a G26 if the G19 was too big.
    Glock 20sf, Glock 19 gen4, Glock 26 gen3, Colt 1911 Series 80

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links