Gun for my wife...

This is a discussion on Gun for my wife... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My wife has done very well with my Kahr CW9. She's accurate, can reload quickly, and could clear a jam with the best of us ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Gun for my wife...

Gun for my wife...

My wife has done very well with my Kahr CW9. She's accurate, can reload quickly, and could clear a jam with the best of us (for the record my Kahr has never jammed but I've simulated them for her with snap caps and she did very well). For those reasons I'm thinking that she can jump straight to an auto and skip the revolver. Revolvers are nice but they have their limitations in CC roles IMO. She wants something a little heavier to cut down on recoil so we're looking at double stacks with a little longer barrel. I've taken her to several gun shops and she likes the XDm 3.8 9mm and G19 Gen 4 the best. Any other suggestions for an auto for her? She will purse carry and wants something with a light rail for HD. Also, should I go with a CT or get her some Night sights? My fear is she'll get lazy and point shoot more than aim when we go to the range. Point shooting should always be in your bag of tricks for a hairy situation but at the same time I don't want her to slack on aim shooting.

2. Remove Ads

Why not a CW9? I think there are lots of advantages to that...

1. She shoots it well and is familiar with it.
    2. You can back each other up easily.
    3. Same holsters, magazines, ammo, etc.

VIP Member
    A CM9 for on body carry
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

From a woman's perspective, I loooooove my Ruger LC9. It's small and thin (but not too small) and recoil is extremely manageable. Perfect for IWB carry, as most will dissuade from purse carry for very valid reasons. I carry mine IWB in a Theiss and OWB in a DeSantis Mini Scabbard. Did I mention that I love it? ;)

I will say though, that the nickel slide was impossible to rack. I have no issues with the blue.
    "They have gun control in Cuba. They have universal health care in Cuba. So why do they want to come here?" ~ Paul Harvey

VIP Member
    The CZ P-07 would fit the requirements for a double stack with light rail, but unless she carries a rather large purse it will be bulky for that type of carry.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Given the other pistols she liked, I would have her check out the M&P series as well. Full size is a little taller and shorter sight length a G19; compact is a bit shorter both ways. Just something in similar size and function to let her try out.

Personally feel like night sights are a must. CT would be a big plus. Reasonably easy to remove from the M&P at least and put a regular backstrap on for range trips if you really want to force her to use the sights.

-424D57

Quote Originally Posted by indykid View Post
    My wife has done very well with my Kahr CW9. She's accurate, can reload quickly, and could clear a jam with the best of us (for the record my Kahr has never jammed but I've simulated them for her with snap caps and she did very well).
    You know, those criteria you just listed (accurate, handles easily, can effectively use its controls/features) are some of the primary criteria I use when selecting a carry weapon. So long as a given firearm is reliable and I can effectively and quickly bring fire to bear on target, and on target under stress, then it's a strong candidate. Many people carry the Kahr CW9. If you've got a reliable one and she's very competent and happy with it, I'd say it's probably one of the better choices you could find.

The Glock 19 G4 is a good candidate, too, if she likes the features, handling and reputation for reliability and durability.

The CZ P01 should also be a candidate, if the Glock 19 has grabbed her attention. Though, it's got a bit larger grip circumference that might or might not suit her hands. Otherwise, it's highly reliable, has great capacity, is relatively light (for an all alloy gun), has a light rail.

On a carry gun, I'm a big fan of night sights. Some much prefer lasers (ie Crimson Trace). If she's not had experience with either, I'd wait on it until she's toyed around with both and had some "saddle" time. Up to her preference. You can always add them later.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Sounds like the G19 would meet her needs...for a 9mm that's a little easier to conceal, the G26.
    Let your wife decide, of course.
    Last edited by RETSUPT99; June 22nd, 2012 at 09:01 PM.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I would not be so quick to move here to a stacked mag gun. Most womens hand fit a single stack better, and there are a few single stacks are a little bigger than your Kahr. I have moved from a 1911 to a Bersa BP9CC myself, Which is a 21.5 oz. 8+1 single stack 9mm. The slighly longer grip, a few added oz. in weight, and a standard polygonal barrel makes it a very controlable gun, so there are some good single stack options out there too.
    BurgerBoy likes this.

I was recently gun shopping and my hand fits the double stacks well. Is there a place nearby that you two can rent guns? After I narrowed down to a short list I was able to rent everything I was looking at to see how I liked shooting them. I'd had it down to the M&P and the XD. Just got home from buying the XD. I went a little smaller though, the 3 in barrel - I just ordered a holster online but right now it's in my back pocket with a loose shirt and completely covered. I know plenty of women purse carry, but it makes me nervous. Also, if she hasn't seen it yet she may want to check out Packing Pretty | A Tactical Guide for Women to Concealed Carry and Personal Protection She carries a full size handgun and has some great tips and tricks on how to be a woman and successfully conceal.
    sid1 likes this.

sgb
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Distinguished Member
    If you can find one, I'd recommend the M&P Shield. My wife has one and she loves it (so do I and I'm still trying to raise funds to buy one, let alone find one).
    EDC - M&P Shield .40, Ruger P90, OR Ruger SR1911 CMD AND
    Ruger LCP in Desantis Pocket Holster (backup)
    Member - SAF, OFF,
    NRA Life Member

the shield or m&p compact

I got a gun for my first wife.

Pretty good trade! (...and it was a Hi-Point)

OK, OK - Somebody had to say it...

thats funny right der^^^^

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links