Ruger LC9 FTE

Ruger LC9 FTE

This is a discussion on Ruger LC9 FTE within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My father has a Ruger Lc9. He took it out and shot it 4 times (he keeps all his guns fully loaded). Then just as ...

Thread: Ruger LC9 FTE

Ruger LC9 FTE

My father has a Ruger Lc9. He took it out and shot it 4 times (he keeps all his guns fully loaded). Then just as he was about to fire the last 3 rounds in the magazine, he had a failure to eject. The gun had not been fired before, and he was using WWB 115 gr. FMJ ammunition. Does the LC9 have any known issues with particular types or brands of ammo? Or was this a one-time fluke? What are your thoughts? I'm at a loss here, my LC9 has never had even one issue with FTF or FTE, no matter what the ammo being used was.

Could it have been caused by limp wristing after his grip got tired from shooting? This is more common than most care to believe. On my last trip to the range, a guy had a new Beretta Storm and asked my help to figure out why it kept jamming on him. I told him to give it a "crush grip" and that solved his problem. He said he wasn't new to shooting.

After buying my LC9, I initially starting shooting WWB 115gr and Hornady Critical Defense 115gr, and found that when chambering a round it (both brands) would hang up on the feed ramp occasionally. I also had an occasional FTE with WWB. I switched to 124gr target and SD loads and the problem went away. I think that my problem may have been caused by the shorter 115gr bullets hanging on the feed ramp. At least my LC9 seems to prefer 124gr loads because I have had zero FTF or FTE since switching to it.
    "I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." - Thomas Jefferson

Thanks, those are all distinct possibilties. He's not inexperienced with guns, but I don't think he's had very many issues. It sort of disappoints me, given the Philosophy Of
    Use (POU) for the LC9.

My LC9 had two failure to ejects. Both were with WWB. It has fed everything else!
    Tony

All sorts of reasons come to mind. Top suspects are gun condition, and ammo.

Was the gun stripped, cleaned and lubed before it was shot?
    Run a patch down the bore and do a visual inspection of bore and chamber?

Winchester White Box is everyone's default ammo, but disabuse yourself of the notion that it's great stuff. It isn't - it's "okay" stuff that usually goes bang (and, at least in my opinion, it's better then the Remington/UMC generic ammo). In comparison, my cheap .45 reloads are cleaner and shoot much tighter groups than WWB - but, I buy the latter on occasion as a source of fresh brass. This stuff is pumped out in the millions, so quality control is a matter of checking processes, not individual finished pieces. I've seen WWB with reversed primers, dead primers and blind primer holes - just for a few examples. So the ammo could be a problem here as well.

I'd say go through the the gun - break it down, make sure it's clean, check that the extractor is intact and that the recoil spring is properly installed; then lube it per instructions and get it back together. Head back out to the range with some other types/brnds/loads of ammo and determine if the problem is repeatable.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

I was having similar problems with WWB and S&B ammo. After about 400 rounds, I started having problems with everything.

I sent it to Ruger and the entire slide was replaced. Not sure exactly what the problem was, but the new slide fixed the problem.

Links