Hickok45's review of the Springfield XDs .45 - Page 2

Hickok45's review of the Springfield XDs .45

This is a discussion on Hickok45's review of the Springfield XDs .45 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Interesting thing about the XDs .45...with a capacity of only 5+1, are you better off with a revolver instead? Just something to consider......

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Hickok45's review of the Springfield XDs .45

Interesting thing about the XDs .45...with a capacity of only 5+1, are you better off with a revolver instead?

Just something to consider...
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Not in .38 lol.

A revolver is not less than one inch wide and does not shoot 230 grain ammo. Reloading will also be faster with the XDs than with a revolver.
    Hobo_Hunter likes this.

The merits of semi auto vs revolver have been debated ad naseum and are well known.

I have traditionally favored semi autos over revolvers. However, once you get down to where the capacity is essentially the same, you need to weigh the fact that a semi auto will require "proofing" while a revolver requires much less of that.

With a semi auto, you will need to fire "x" amount of ammo, being sure to use each magazine, to ensure reliability. You also need to run "y" amount of defensive ammo, which can get expensive. If you have any issues, you need to start all over again.

Given that the capacity of the XDs is so limited, it is very much like a revolver in that respect. So - might you be better off with a revolver instead? You can get one that is much lighter in weight, and while thicker around the cylinder, a revolver is thinner otherwise.

If you think a .45 is oh so much better than a .357 Mag or a .38 Spl, then by all means go for it. If you are of the opinion that a handgun is a handgun, and that caliber is not really all that important, then the comparison between a XDs and a revolver makes some sense.

Again, just something to ponder for those thinking of this pistol.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Ounce for ounce, I believe a small RELIABLE semi-auto beats a revolver any day of the week. The trick is finding a consistently reliable small semi-auto.

If the XDs proves reliable, I'd much rather carry one than a snub of comparable size, regardless of caliber. I haven't shot the XDs, but I have shot the Kahr PM45, which is similar in weight and size, and I can tell you that I can put shots on target much faster and more accurately with the PM45 than with any similar sized revolver. Add in the quicker reload capability, flat profile, better trigger and superior sight options, and it's really no contest.

I don't consider the .38, even in +P form, to be the equal of the .45 ACP, and the .357 magnum is barely controllable out of a lightweight snub. As far as capacity, even one round can make a difference, so 6 shots trumps 5 shots any day of the week. And it looks like the XDs has 7 round mags available, so 8 rounds on tap is possible, depending on your concealment method. No such thing available in a revolver.
    Slow is smooth.....smooth is fast.

Quote Originally Posted by Vaquero 45 View Post
    Ounce for ounce, I believe a small RELIABLE semi-auto beats a revolver any day of the week. The trick is finding a consistently reliable small semi-auto.

If the XDs proves reliable, I'd much rather carry one than a snub of comparable size, regardless of caliber. I haven't shot the XDs, but I have shot the Kahr PM45, which is similar in weight and size, and I can tell you that I can put shots on target much faster and more accurately with the PM45 than with any similar sized revolver. Add in the quicker reload capability, flat profile, better trigger and superior sight options, and it's really no contest.

I don't consider the .38, even in +P form, to be the equal of the .45 ACP, and the .357 magnum is barely controllable out of a lightweight snub. As far as capacity, even one round can make a difference, so 6 shots trumps 5 shots any day of the week. And it looks like the XDs has 7 round mags available, so 8 rounds on tap is possible, depending on your concealment method. No such thing available in a revolver.
    alot of good points here,but one huge advantage of a revolver such as the (642/442 or lcr) is the weight differance..the lcr .38+p weighs in at 13.50 ozs where the xds weighs in at 21.50 ozs..that's a HUGE differance,especially if you prefer pocket carry.
    10thmtn likes this.

How many of you shoot regularly with a airlite in .357mag? I shot a 642 in .38 spcl. I rented one and found it cumbersome after about 50 rounds. The trigger was heavy DA like it should be but I didn't enjoy it. I can't imagine in .357mag to be honest. No point in throwing that out there if you don't practice with what you carry, right? If someone asked Which caliber to get, people would yell out .357. Why? Because it has more juice. If it has more juice and you practice with it you aren't going to reach your potential. I'd much rather practice with it and pay expensive ammo prices then a year long legal battle for anticipating or being a poor shot. Id much rather put dimensions, ballistics and shootability in my top 3 criterion before I would make weight a deciding factor. If you can't shoot a snub which I can't but wish I could in the ammo you plan on carrying it's a hug disservice.

I've owned my XDs now for two months and have put around 450 rounds down range with it. One range session was 250 rounds. I have to admit this is the BEST shooting pistol and my first .45 and XD series pistol I have owned. (pardon the expression) I've whored through various CCW handguns over the past six years, glock sub compacts, numerous J Frames (which are sill nice) and a few others and was a little hesitant on relinquishing them for this. The .45 coming out of the XD honestly feels like a solid .38+P.
    I''m 5'4" 115 pounds I can do decent double taps at 5 yards and have landed 15 shots in about two inches at 10 yards which is the best I've ever shot with a 3" or less BBL. I walked away from 250 rounds the only thing that was sore was my trigger finger (guess I need to work on that). Not to steal the thread, however I think people ought to look seriously into this pistol if they're not concerned with the meager magazine capacity. But hey if you need more than 11 rounds in an off duty or civilian setting you ought to be calling in a company of Marines.

Carry wise I works just fine under a t-shirt. The IWB I purchased has an odd angle to how it sits and makes drawing less than desirable. I found a leather belt holster online which has worked well so far. I'm not a fan of pocket carry but I've heard there are some pocket holsters out there as well.

The only "issue" I've had with the XDs is the ejecting brass tends to spray around one sent down my shirt and left a burn on my stomach. Other than that I don't see me selling or trading this pistol off any time soon like I've done with so many others in the past.

Each to their own but its a nice carry gun and so far has been 100% reliable.
    XDS.45.jpg
    gottabkiddin likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by rgoodwin13 View Post
    Has anyone come across either a stock or custom holster for pocket carry?

Thanks,

Rob
    Alabamaholster.com. Great holsters at an even better price. Long wait though. (about 2 months right now.)

Quote Originally Posted by Vaquero 45 View Post
    8 rounds on tap is possible, depending on your concealment method. No such thing available in a revolver.
    My S&W 327 begs to differ Granted it's like 4" wide and $$$. Wife got the XDs over the Shield and loves it. She said she feels pretty hard-core with the big bore power.

DeSantis Model 111 "Pocket-Tuk" Holster

Quote Originally Posted by rgoodwin13 View Post
    Has anyone come across either a stock or custom holster for pocket carry?

Thanks,

Rob
    I just picked up one of these neat little holsters from a seller on eBay. Price was right at $20 shipped. Was surprised (and happy) to find that it's a high-quality, well-designed rig that does duty in several ways:

1. IWB carry, either strong-side or crossdraw, made possible by a 360 degree two-position (height) rotatable belt clip (1.75" capacity)
    2. Belt clip is completely removable (via included Allen wrench), converting the holster to a properly-designed pocket rig.
    3. Holster mouth is reinforced to allow one-hand reholstering.
    4. Made of horsehide which, in my experience, stands up pretty well to every-day carry and use.

Back in "the day" I was big into pocket pistols in mousey calibers...in fact my old pistolsmithing firm specialized in them for years (Mustangs, NAA Guardian, Pocket Nines, etc.) My primary carry gun has, however, for over two decades, been a LW Officer's ACP Colt; I'm giving the XDs a good workout, particularly with this DeSantis convertible rig, and can happily say that its won me over. It works perfectly as a pocket gun for me and is smaller than the OACP. Then again, I'm a 300-lb, bib-overall-wearing transplanted rural Oregonian whose sense of style and fashion (totally nonexistent) allows me to carry just about anything in a pocket. The XDs, however, is setting a new standard for me. To say that I like it a lot is an understatement.

Hope this helps.

----Mac Scott

VIP Member
    I have a Glock 36 and a j frame 38. Never carry the Glock because of the weight and block size.

I shoot the 38 air weight with HydraShocks in practice all the time. Don't enjoy it, but I do it. I don't feel underfunded and I feel better armed than witha semi of more capacity. I know my revolver will go bang.

Does anybody else own this gun? If so any problems with it? I'm now considering getting this gun since I so want a 45 acp for CC.

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder71 View Post
    Also just read my first negative report on the gun... not the gun itself, but the aftermath of shooting it for 100 rounds - guy took a pretty good beating, blisters and all.
    Yeah, I could see the need for an inner tube grip...

Quote Originally Posted by Stkglover View Post
    I've owned my XDs now for two months and have put around 450 rounds down range with it. One range session was 250 rounds. I have to admit this is the BEST shooting pistol and my first .45 and XD series pistol I have owned. (pardon the expression) I've whored through various CCW handguns over the past six years, glock sub compacts, numerous J Frames (which are sill nice) and a few others and was a little hesitant on relinquishing them for this. The .45 coming out of the XD honestly feels like a solid .38+P. I''m 5'4" 115 pounds I can do decent double taps at 5 yards and have landed 15 shots in about two inches at 10 yards which is the best I've ever shot with a 3" or less BBL. I walked away from 250 rounds the only thing that was sore was my trigger finger (guess I need to work on that). Not to steal the thread, however I think people ought to look seriously into this pistol if they're not concerned with the meager magazine capacity. But hey if you need more than 11 rounds in an off duty or civilian setting you ought to be calling in a company of Marines. Carry wise I works just fine under a t-shirt. The IWB I purchased has an odd angle to how it sits and makes drawing less than desirable. I found a leather belt holster online which has worked well so far. I'm not a fan of pocket carry but I've heard there are some pocket holsters out there as well. The only "issue" I've had with the XDs is the ejecting brass tends to spray around one sent down my shirt and left a burn on my stomach. Other than that I don't see me selling or trading this pistol off any time soon like I've done with so many others in the past. Each to their own but its a nice carry gun and so far has been 100% reliable. XDS.45.jpg
    +1I love mine. Great little .45ACP pistol. I picked up a couple of the extended 7 round mags which brings the loading up to eight. No worries about getting the job done with this pistol.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links