Hickok45's review of the Springfield XDs .45 - Page 3

Hickok45's review of the Springfield XDs .45

This is a discussion on Hickok45's review of the Springfield XDs .45 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by WarMachine Does anybody else own this gun? If so any problems with it? I'm now considering getting this gun since I so ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Hickok45's review of the Springfield XDs .45

Quote Originally Posted by WarMachine View Post
    Does anybody else own this gun? If so any problems with it? I'm now considering getting this gun since I so want a 45 acp for CC.
    No regrets what so ever with mine. Next to my Sig P938 it's one of my favorite carry guns.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Have the XDs gone up drastically in price since this gun ban crap?

This is my favorite gun, I'll be carrying it when my permit comes in.

I love mine. It's my new EDC. It did take a little break-in, and required some adjustment of grip for me to become comfortable enough to carry it. That took three range trips and a couple of dry-fire sessions.

Runs like a top, eats what I feed it, carries comfortably. I'd shoot it more, but I can't find enough ammo and I don't wanna tap my stores yet.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WarMachine View Post
    Does anybody else own this gun? If so any problems with it? I'm now considering getting this gun since I so want a 45 acp for CC.
    No problems with mine...I got the bi-tone which looks really nice.

Get yourself some 7 round mags and get some of the Pearce grip extenders for the 5 round mags Pearce Grips
    Last edited by 1MoreGoodGuy; January 25th, 2013 at 03:46 PM. Reason: spelling
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

Mine has been great, I carry it everyday
    Sig Sauer P229 SCT, Sig Sauer P938, Glock 19 Gen 4, Glock 17 Gen 3, Remington 870, Grandpa's Old Single Shot 12 Gauge

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves. Abraham Lincoln

New owner here. I've only had it for a couple of weeks now. Been to the range twice. I cleaned it, oiled it, and rack it with authority. So far so good. Haven't had a single issue. I LOVE this gun!
    NRA Member
    "Remember the first rule of gunfighting ... have a gun."

Re: Hickok45's review of the Springfield XDs .45

I love my bi-tone too. Great little pocket rocket for sure.

Any issues with it yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Stkglover View Post
    I've owned my XDs now for two months and have put around 450 rounds down range with it. One range session was 250 rounds. I have to admit this is the BEST shooting pistol and my first .45 and XD series pistol I have owned. (pardon the expression) I've whored through various CCW handguns over the past six years, glock sub compacts, numerous J Frames (which are sill nice) and a few others and was a little hesitant on relinquishing them for this. The .45 coming out of the XD honestly feels like a solid .38+P.
    I''m 5'4" 115 pounds I can do decent double taps at 5 yards and have landed 15 shots in about two inches at 10 yards which is the best I've ever shot with a 3" or less BBL. I walked away from 250 rounds the only thing that was sore was my trigger finger (guess I need to work on that). Not to steal the thread, however I think people ought to look seriously into this pistol if they're not concerned with the meager magazine capacity. But hey if you need more than 11 rounds in an off duty or civilian setting you ought to be calling in a company of Marines.

Carry wise I works just fine under a t-shirt. The IWB I purchased has an odd angle to how it sits and makes drawing less than desirable. I found a leather belt holster online which has worked well so far. I'm not a fan of pocket carry but I've heard there are some pocket holsters out there as well.

The only "issue" I've had with the XDs is the ejecting brass tends to spray around one sent down my shirt and left a burn on my stomach. Other than that I don't see me selling or trading this pistol off any time soon like I've done with so many others in the past.

Each to their own but its a nice carry gun and so far has been 100% reliable.
    Attachment 61802

You seem to have spent some decent time with this weapon, so i have a question. I just received mine tonight, and have spent the last few nights reviewing all I could about it. I came across a Youtube video about the slide getting pushed back about 1/16" out of battery and causing the gun to not fire. I loaded mine up this evening with Speer Gold Dot, and sure enough, give it a little push back with your hand, mis-holster, or push on anything, and it stays locked back. It appears to be an issue with the load indicator on the top of the slide causing the issue.

Here is my question, did you have, or have you had this problem? If so, did it get better with time, or is it something to be concerned with at all? Just curious. Love this little gun....see it replacing my G26 soon.

Thanks for the input...Andy
    Andy
    You may all go to hell and I will go to Texas - David Crockett
    When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by CHLforlife View Post
    Your "magic" stinks. That's not anywhere near the size of the xds.
    drift likes this.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder71 View Post
    Also just read my first negative report on the gun... not the gun itself, but the aftermath of shooting it for 100 rounds - guy took a pretty good beating, blisters and all.
    Grip can be rough on delicate video playing hands but there is a $15 fix for that. Just buy Talon rubber grip decals and install. Also the Pearce grip extension works well and allows your pinkie to have a place to go without sacrificing concealability. I pocket and belt carry my XDs with the grip extension on. Contrary to the oft repeated statements about rubber grips catching on clothes, not all rubber grips do that. I have rubber grips on every gun that allows me to change grips and I have yet to have any problems with my shirt or pocket catching on the grips and I have been at this for over 40 years.
    Old age has its advantages. I have not discovered them yet but I am told that they exist.

Sponsor
    Here is the Chapter 2 video... and he has the Talon Grips on it!

Springfield XDs (Chapter 2) - YouTube
    Mike
    Talon Grips, Inc.
    www.TalonGunGrips.com
    Please come visit us!

Distinguished Member
    I have one and every time I shoot it I am amazed at how easy to shoot and accurate it is. I pocket carry mine with no problem. Love the gun. Not one misfire but you have to get a firm grip. I have handed the gun to others to shoot and it jams for some. Get them to tighten their grip and problems go away.
    ironmike86 likes this.
    Old age has its advantages. I have not discovered them yet but I am told that they exist.

Sponsor
    Check out the XDS with rubber Talon Grips Talon-XDS-2-sm.jpg
    Mike
    Talon Grips, Inc.
    www.TalonGunGrips.com
    Please come visit us!

Boring.....

ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1367987547.675251.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

SA XDM 45 5.25 Competition Model
    SA XDS 45 3.3
    Sig P238 Pearl