9mm or .40 S&W- Which do you choose and why

This is a discussion on 9mm or .40 S&W- Which do you choose and why within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm posting this question solely for the purpose of seeing which caliber is more popular, so please be respectful and no flaming. I'm sure the ...

View Poll Results: 9mm or .40 for personal defense

Voters
343. You may not vote on this poll
  • 9mm

242 70.55%
  • .40 S&W

105 30.61%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: 9mm or .40 S&W- Which do you choose and why

9mm or .40 S&W- Which do you choose and why

I'm posting this question solely for the purpose of seeing which caliber is more popular, so please be respectful and no flaming. I'm sure the Administrators would agree that those actions have no place on this or any other forum. Thank you for your time and your opinions are very welcome.
    Honey, I forgot to duck.- Ronald Reagan

The most terrifying words in the English language are "I'm from the government and I'm here to help".- Ronald Reagan

2. Remove Ads

9mm, if I wanted bigger I would choose .45

I chose .38 instead of 9mm or .40.

PS: You forgot "neither" as an answer to your poll.
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

I have four 9mms around the house but don't really carry any of them to any extent. I have no .40 S&W pistol but like the look of the cartridge better. I'd tote a good .40 Hi-Power or Smith & Wesson Model 4006 if I had one.
    Martial Archer likes this.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

I still can't decide between the 9mm or 40 S&W. I carry my G19 or my G23 off and on. I even throw in my Ruger LCR now and then. But if it comes right down to it I shoot the 9mm more because of the price of ammo.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

Senior Member Array threefeathers's Avatar
    Shot placement is everything. Multiple shot placement is even better.

Neither. .357 Sig or .45
    multistage likes this.
    Ed Brown Kobra 45
    Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II
    Glock 33

I choose the 40S&W carried in the M&P platform as in M&P40. I choose the 40S&W because of the stopping power and for me personally I shoot it in rapid fire just as accurately as the 9mm. I just feel like the 40S&W is going to stop an attack on my person or my loved one a tad bit quicker than a 9mm provided that I do my part and place accurate vital zone hits. The S&WM&P fits me perfectly which I believe contributes alot to the ease and reliability of me shooting the 40S&W cartridge accurately.
    hinkleid likes this.

Thunder71, Great minds really do think alike! I, like you prefer 9mm (Glock 26, Kel-Tec P-11, Ruger LC9, and soon to be XDM compact 9mm) for EDC. The .40 would make a
    great Home Defense gun!

The most terrifying words in the English language are "I'm from the government and I'm here to help".- Ronald Reagan

Thunder71, Great minds really do think alike! I, like you prefer 9mm (Glock 26, Kel-Tec P-11, Ruger LC9, and soon to be XDM compact 9mm) for EDC. The .40 would make a
    great Home Defense gun!

I have both and use both regularly. I shoot my G23 the best, it feels the best, I like it the best. My G26 gets the call for gym shorts/workouts/etc. My Smith 9mm is awesome for tucked deep conceal with a Galco Skyops. Obviously, the 9 is a bit easier to control and follow up, but I carry the biggest round I can usually. Yeah, shot placement is king, but my question is this: When you're under attack, are you going to be the calm composed easygoing range master you normally are? A well placed slingshot load could do the job if you hit the BG in the right place. OTOH, I believe a nice large round placed nearly anywhere will be more compelling at removing the will of the BG to continue his attack. With due respect to someone who said this here: "Bullets don't kill people. Gaping sucking wounds to vital organs do."

Distinguished Member Array svgheartland's Avatar
    Sheep, I'm a 40 guy over 9 and, like yourself I'll be interested to see the results of this poll. I have no doubt that 9 will come in way ahead it's only a question of how much. Being a traditional 1911 45/38 snubbie type the 40 is my choice for all the traditional reasons. Bigger is better, starts with "4", etc. I pocket carry a snubbie so there isn't a platform in 9 that interest me for that purpose. For larger sidearms I'm a 1911 man. As for the subs that are offered in both calibers, I'll take the 40 every time. The flaw in my thinking, and I'll admit this, was pocket carrying a 380 for awhile. Why carry a short 9 when I won't carry the real McCoy? There are plenty of quality 9's suitable for pocket carry after all. I don't anymore. So without the caliber wars and ballistics and placement nonsense and cost of ammo all over again.....I carry a 40 because I want to.
    RichB70 likes this.
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

It's the 9mm for me and for exactly what "three feathers" said; spot on IMO.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

Distinguished Member Array svgheartland's Avatar
    Btw, when I voted it made the poll ratio 5:1......that's gonna spread considerably I'm guessing. But we're free folks with options .... Ain't it grand?
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

I choose 9mm. Absolutely equal in performance and cheaper to practice with. Easy decision for me after studying the evidence and erasing unfounded claims from the equation.

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Links