Opinions on the Sig P245

This is a discussion on Opinions on the Sig P245 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a buddy of mine that is wanting to let go over his P245 two-tone. It is in excellent condition, it is practically NIB, ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By AZGlock13

Thread: Opinions on the Sig P245

Opinions on the Sig P245

I have a buddy of mine that is wanting to let go over his P245 two-tone. It is in excellent condition, it is practically NIB, 4 mags,night sights, and all the box/paperwork/etc. He is saying that he wants to get $625 out of it, I thought that was a little strong, so I offered him $575. He is just not wanting to give on the price anymoredue to his initially price of $750. I really like the firearm, but don't like that it only has 6 round mags. I have been told that sig has +2 extended mags for the 220 compact that would fit, but I am wondering if it would degrade the egronomics of the grip. I have also found that they are in short suppy; I wish I would have gotten ahold of Sig today to check availability of the 220c extended mags. I was just wanting some opinions on the price, and overall opinions of this particular firearm.

2. Remove Ads

I have a Sig 220 Compact SAS DAK. Basically the same gun, but with the DAK trigger system, instead of the P245's traditional DA/SA trigger system. They both use the same mags and are the same dimensions. These guns are nice conceal carry pieces due to their smaller grip, but are still pleasant to hold and shoot at the range. The +2 mags you heard about are merely normal Sig P220 8rd mags with X-grip adapters on them to fill in the grip when inserted into a P245 or P220 compact. Here is a link to the adapters on TGS's website:
    X-Grip - Sig P245 - Top Gun Supply
    As to a fair price for his P245 with NS and 4 mags, I think around $600 would be fair to both of you. Hope this helps.
    sensei2 likes this.

A new Sig Sauer P220 in it's various configurations (i.e., P220, P220 Carry, P220 Compact) will set you back about $830 brandnew (with Sig night sights). The P245 is the predecessor of the now manufactured P220 Compact and is considered by Sig lovers as a "Classic." I love Sig pistols.....and carry the P220 Carry everyday so I'm somewhat biased towards the brand. I agree with the previous poster that $600 would be a fair price for the P245 provided it is in excellent condition and has workable Sig night sights. How familiar are you with his pistol? Have you ever shot it? If you are unsure about its condition, you may ask him if he would do a field strip of it so you can examine the slide rails. If there is no abnormal wear of the rails, and there is no other obvious damage/wear, then I'd go for it.

I am somewhat familiar with Sigs. I currently have a P239 sas and P228. I have not shot the pistol yet, but I did do a field strip. The night sights are Trijicon I believe, but look to be in as new condition. In fact, I could really not find any issues with the pistol at all, it looks as clean as a brand new one. I am just the type of person that likes to get a real good deal if I decide to sell it. I think I might just go ahead and give him the $625. I just think I may regret it due the fact that I buy pistols for SD purposes only. Any gun I buy, I intended to carry, and 7 rounds vs. the 11 that my G30 holds before needing to change mags is a substantial difference.

I have one of these

I bought a slightly used Sig P245 about 18 months ago on Gunbroker from the original owner, paying about $690 for the gun. Mine is also the two tone version with stainless slide and black frame. I felt the price was fair but not a bargain. I was interested in the gun because I already had a Sig P220 in all stainless, and liked that gun very much. So I wanted to try the aluminum frame shorter version of the gun, the P245, for carry purposes.

I have shot about 500 rounds through the P245 without any problems, and find it to be quite accurate and reliable, with a good trigger feel. I have carried it a few times in a DeSantis OWB holster and it conceals well because the grip is short and fairly thin. I think it is a good looking gun and I trust it completely. The gun does weigh about 29 ounces empty, so it is on the heavy side compared to some alternatives. I have shown it below next to my Glock 36 (20 ounces empty) and my Colt Defender (24 ounces empty), which are both compact 45s with single stack magazines and similar capacity to the Sig P245.

If you like the DA/SA trigger system the P245 is an excellent choice. I currently find that I carry the Glock 36 more because of its lighter weight, however.

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by jwbannon View Post
    I am somewhat familiar with Sigs. I currently have a P239 sas and P228. I have not shot the pistol yet, but I did do a field strip. The night sights are Trijicon I believe, but look to be in as new condition. In fact, I could really not find any issues with the pistol at all, it looks as clean as a brand new one. I am just the type of person that likes to get a real good deal if I decide to sell it. I think I might just go ahead and give him the $625. I just think I may regret it due the fact that I buy pistols for SD purposes only. Any gun I buy, I intended to carry, and 7 rounds vs. the 11 that my G30 holds before needing to change mags is a substantial difference.
    I also own a Glock30sf....... My Sig P220 Carry (8+1) is my edc, but I also carry the Glock from time to time...... The Glock is my camping/hiking, exercise/work-in-the-yard pistol. I carry my Sig aiwb on my left side. The "Carry" has a full size stock with a shortened slide/frame. The Sig 245 has the shortened stock and slide/frame. I think the P245/Compact would be easier to conceal than my Carry version. It's all about compromises...... You could compensate for the reduced capacity between the Glock and the Sig by carrying two additional full size Sig magazines (8 rounds).....that would give you 23 rounds of 45acp. One final comment......the Sig magazines being single stack are MUCH easier to carry and conceal than that fat Glock 30 double stack magazine. Since you already have the P239 and P228, you know how sweet Sigs are...... I shoot Sigs better than any other pistol....including my Glocks.

My only gripe about this pistol when I shot it was the fact that it had a lot of perceived muzzle flip for me. It also was somewhat painful in terms of felt recoil. I wonder if it was the combination of my hand sixe, coupled with a short grip and high bore axis that the Sig has. This was several years ago, and I only gave it the one test fire on a range in Dallas. I ended up with an H&K Compact 45 instead...

Links