Replace Sights on Old S&W Model 59?

This is a discussion on Replace Sights on Old S&W Model 59? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; gunsight.JPG I have an old S&W model 5904 which I shoot fairly often. It's not much of a carry gun, but it's fun to shoot ...

Thread: Replace Sights on Old S&W Model 59?

gunsight.JPG

I have an old S&W model 5904 which I shoot fairly often. It's not much of a carry gun, but it's fun to shoot and accurate. Although I've re-touched the sights with sight paint, they're still pretty small compared to more modern ones such as on my Glock 27 or even my LC9. The picture actually makes the sights look better than they are. My question is whether it would be possible or worth it to replace the sights with something better.

Thanks.

Cool Better sights

I have a 2nd generation Smith 639. As fine a single stack pistol as any ever made IMHO. I think that novak sights are availble but have to be factory installed and thee set is 135 or so the last time I checked. These guns have been out of production for awhile so even holsters are starting to get harder to find.

As for whether it is worth it that is a call that you have to make. I have certainly been thinking of upgrading the sights on my old war horse. The old smiths are built like a tank and the service life of the pistol will probably be longer than the owner. At least in my case..LOL

Thanks for the reply. I think I'll work on my own aim and leave the sights alone. As to the gun's quality, I agree. I bought this one used at a gun show long ago; it shoots anything, and have never, ever failed in any respect.

sgb
    You could contact S&W about milling the slide to take the Novack style sights they used on the last evolution of that model.

SW5904right.jpg
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Links