Range Report. XDM.45 4.5". Awesome. Pics!

This is a discussion on Range Report. XDM.45 4.5". Awesome. Pics! within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Finally got to go to the range yesterday and try out my new XDM.45 4.5" bi-tone. I also tried out my Taurus 85 with shotshell ...

Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By preachertim
  • 1 Post By Eichorn
  • 2 Post By bigmacque
  • 2 Post By Tangle
  • 1 Post By Firearm.Fan.Girl

Thread: Range Report. XDM.45 4.5". Awesome. Pics!

Finally got to go to the range yesterday and try out my new XDM.45 4.5" bi-tone. I also tried out my Taurus 85 with shotshell and hubby's new Mossberg 500 12 gauge. And, I did my usual practice with my XD9SC. Never got to shoot the 1911. Whew! Was I beat when we were done.

The XDM was awesome even tho my shooting was not. It felt good in my hand, the recoil was very similar to the XD9SC and not bothersome in any way. The trigger felt easy. Please take in consideration I am still a novice and don't have the discerning analysis that you experienced guys have. Now, let's get to the targets. Oh-oh! I am reasonably accurate with the XD9SC since it's what I've been using since the beginning over a year ago. I can get center mass and even some bull's eyes at 21 feet and sometimes out to 50 feet. All my shots with the XDM went low and left. So then, hubby tried and did the same thing. He's a novice too. So, we blamed it on the factory sights - it couldn't have been us. The guy next to us wanted to try it out - he is ex-military - and he emptied the magazine in the bull's eye everytime! Redfaced, we now know it's us and not the gun sights. I guess we have some analyzing to do and practicing to correct what we are doing wrong. But, all in all, I wouldn't trade it for the world and it immediately went into duty in my nightstand. In total, we only ran 75 rounds through it and it was flawless. Takedown was a snap and the bi-tone made it easier to see the gunk when cleaning. Here are some pictures of our targets. The bull's eyes or near bull's eyes only happened when we aimed up high to compensate for our inability to hit it normally.

As an aside, the ex-mil guy had his 7 year old daughter shooting a .22 rifle at 50'. She had it resting on a box but the thing was almost as big as her. She got a bunch of bull's eyes. We loved watching her shoot especially when she plinked a few soda bottles right off the line!

The shotshell was easy but after two hits on the Mossberg I was done!
    Attached Images
    Carpe Diem
    "Winter Is Coming"

Senior Member Array preachertim's Avatar
    Very nice!
    Firearm.Fan.Girl likes this.
    Why Would A Preacher ever need a Gun? Its Not for the Sheep , its for the Wolves!

Springfield Armory Service XD 40
    Taurus PT 1911 45 acp Taurus PT 101, PT 92
    Ruger 22/45 Ruger P95 9mm, Ruger SR9
    Kahr CW 40, Heritage 22, Rossi 38 special

The XDM bi-tone is a very handsome gun and looks like a solid performer too. Glad you had a good time at the range!
    Firearm.Fan.Girl likes this.
    "Hell is truth seen too late."

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    Low and left is usually some gripping issues more than trigger pull, and it's possible since it's a new gun to you you're just not used to it or not sure of how it's going to feel when it goes bang so you're over gripping it.
    Guest1 and Firearm.Fan.Girl like this.
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

Senior Moderator
    What a great range report. I really like the XDs. I shot the XD (fs) in .45 and was very impressed with it. I too, noticed the low felt recoil. I haven't had a chance to shoot a M version yet, but I really like the concept.

That's not that bad of shooting, especially for a novice - it's new right now, you'll make some adjustments and get better.

I always recommend 3 yards for a while. I know it seems trite, but you can see the details of the target super well, practice aligning the sights on the X, and carefully pull the trigger without disturbing the gun - you can really tell what's going on with you and your gun when you're that close. Go slow; get the basics and you'll get faster.

I shoot a lot! And I still include 3 yard shots in my practice - it pays off.
    Eichorn and Firearm.Fan.Girl like this.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

Quote Originally Posted by bigmacque View Post
    Low and left is usually some gripping issues more than trigger pull, and it's possible since it's a new gun to you you're just not used to it or not sure of how it's going to feel when it goes bang so you're over gripping it.
    I think you might be partially right since I was expecting a "big .45 bang" and was gripping it as if my life depended on it, so to speak. But, I also read in the NRA manual that "low and left" could be trigger control (anticipating the shot).
    I was thinking of starting a new thread to discuss whether I should get a "triplicate" trigger job on my 3 XD's (XD9SC, XDM.45 4.5" and, soon, XDS). I thought that if I had the triggers on all three made to be the same pull weight, if possible, that it might help when training from one to the other. I have been training more with the 9 because ammo is cheaper (I want it to be my plinker) but maybe it's interfering with training with the XDM.45 (my home defense). Do you think this could be of benefit for someone who wants to keep things as simple as possible?
    bigmacque likes this.
    Carpe Diem
    "Winter Is Coming"

the XDM45 4.5 was my very first handgun and the first centerfire handgun I ever fired. my first time firing it I was firing with my 2 friend who were also admittedly not well versed in handguns. I set up an 8 foot by 4 foot sheet of plywood and set up up at 20 yards. I fired a full 13 round magazine and the other two shared a second. I was the only one that hit it though I only hit it about half of the time and they were way on the fringes of the target, I wasn't sure what to think of it. I left it at home and returned to life on active duty and signed up for navy pistol qualifications. after getting familiarized with handguns and their use it became very obvious why we were so lousy. the next time I came home on leave I brought out the old XDM45 and was very happy to see that a single 3 hour training course had brought that 8 foot group at 20 yards down to 8 inches at 15 yards. you would be surprised at what you can learn in a short amount of time, sign up for a class, or just find a family friend that is willing to give you pointers. and many of the ex military guys you see on the range are more than willing to help steer you the right direction if they see you struggling, all you have to do is ask.
    congrats on the XDM, you will grow to love it with every extra bullseye you hit with it.
    The only Difference between the vanquished and victorious is resolve.

Ignorance is correctable, stupid aint.

It's peanutbutter jelly time

Quote Originally Posted by Tahunua001 View Post
    That's a great suggestion! I took 3 NRA classes (Basic pistol, defense inside the home, defense outside the home) when I first started out in the spring of 2011. I probably really do need a refresher using my new guns. We have a great LGS army guy very close by from whom I buy my guns, and, he does give private lessons. After I get the XDS, I should get more training and then more practice. Thanks for the support.
    PS-Loved your story. That was some big target! You sure had the best of the best for training!
    Carpe Diem
    "Winter Is Coming"

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DAO.Diva View Post
    I think you might be partially right since I was expecting a "big .45 bang" and was gripping it as if my life depended on it, so to speak. But, I also read in the NRA manual that "low and left" could be trigger control (anticipating the shot).
    I was thinking of starting a new thread to discuss whether I should get a "triplicate" trigger job on my 3 XD's (XD9SC, XDM.45 4.5" and, soon, XDS). I thought that if I had the triggers on all three made to be the same pull weight, if possible, that it might help when training from one to the other. I have been training more with the 9 because ammo is cheaper (I want it to be my plinker) but maybe it's interfering with training with the XDM.45 (my home defense). Do you think this could be of benefit for someone who wants to keep things as simple as possible?
    That is also true, as is the possibility of slapping the trigger.

Take a look at the target at this link.
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

Links