P-3AT, LCP, or Pocketlite for Back Up Ankle Carry?

This is a discussion on P-3AT, LCP, or Pocketlite for Back Up Ankle Carry? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've talked myself into a secondary carry. I'm looking at the following: Kel-Tec P-3AT Ruger LCP Mustang Pocketlite Here is what I'm considering. Out of ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: P-3AT, LCP, or Pocketlite for Back Up Ankle Carry?

P-3AT, LCP, or Pocketlite for Back Up Ankle Carry?

I've talked myself into a secondary carry. I'm looking at the following:

Kel-Tec P-3AT
    Ruger LCP
    Mustang Pocketlite

Here is what I'm considering. Out of all three, I really like the Mustang Pocketlite. It's single action which I appreciate for safety, especially worn around my ankle - however, if it came down to it and I'm in a situation where my backup gun is necessary, do I want to be taking the time to rack the slide or do I just want to be able to point and shoot as fast as I can? I think that is the question.

Mustang Pocketlite
    good: is safer with the single action, plus when I see it in a magazine it's like a man oogling at a centerfold
    bad: is heavier than the other two, more parts to accidentally snag

Ruger LCP and Kel-Tec P-3AT
    good: Extremely lightweight, smooth design
    bad: I don't think they are quite as safe with the double action, I'm not particularly excited about either of them

If I'm looking for safety, you might say that a revolver would be the way to go, but I already have a Ruger LCR and it would be entirely too bulky around my ankle.

Any suggestions? Or any other comparable pistols to add to my list of consideration? I've been looking and considering for months now and I'm determined to finally make a decision.

2. Remove Ads

I have a P3AT and have been shooting it since late 2005. I've occasionally shot an LCP owned by a close associate. Other than the Ruger looking better than the Kel Tec (subjective as they are both ugly to different degrees) I'm also not excited about either of them. I don't like plastic pistols at all.

Ran the P3AT through its paces a couple of days ago. It'd marginally do for a "get off of me" scenario but .380 ACP doesn't warm my heart. It has indistinct lumps for sights. I dislike its horrid double-action trigger. It needs a slide hold-open feature that the LCP at least has. The latest batch of Sellier & Bellot ammunition gave ignition problems which appeared to have to do with hard primers or thick sealant. At least the carry ammo is giving good service.

The Ruger LCP has somewhat better sights, a hold-open feature, and is a little less cheapo looking.

Both the P3AT and LCP are actually easier to manage with respect to recoil and control than many .380 pistols but that's just personal opinion.

I'm not a huge fan of .380. The Mustang seems like the best choice between the three mentioned. I like its trigger and sights are adequate. It's heavier which I think is a plus unlike so many folks. It offers a superior grip. Despite the weight and handling characteristics, recoil seems a bit more accentuated but is still fine. The fellow with the LCP also has a Mustang Pocketlite and I've shot it. I like the fact that the slide stays back after the final shot. I really like the fact that it's not plastic.

This same fellow also has a Kahr P380 which you might also consider. It has proven to be dependable for him. He's more of a fan of .380s than I am.
    Secret_Storm and 9mmHP like this.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Thank you for the rundown. That's pretty much all I needed to hear.

Now to the mission of actually finding a Mustang Pocketlite.

Senior Member Array IAm_Not_Lost's Avatar
    You shouldn't have to rack the slide...just flip off the safety and rockn roll.
    Secret_Storm likes this.
    "Brilliant. So now we got a huge guy theory, and a serial crusher theory. Top notch. What's your name?" - Paul Smecker

I like the P3AT because you can use the 100 grain Buffalo bore hardcast flat nose +P round. The Ruger is not rated for +P and yes I am aware that there is no specific +P rating for this round.
    Secret_Storm likes this.

Are the Colts in production now?
    Glock 23 - CZ 452 ZKM Special
    Walther P22 - LMT STD 16
    Mossberg 500A - Kahr P380
    Henry H001Y - Winchester 12
    Smith & Wesson M&P Shield
    Mossberg 500B - Marlin 336Y

Sig P238?

Attached Images
    sdcromer and Secret_Storm like this.

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    Personally, I'd prefer to ankle carry (& did for many yrs) an enclosed hammer snub-nose revolver (In my case a S&W 442). With the right ankle holster, I don't find it that bulky. However, given your choices, I'd go for the P-3AT/LCP over the Colt (Or the Sig P238 for that matter). Why? You'd be surprised at how much gunk gets accumulated in ankle carry.

However, if you do ankle carry the Colt, I agree that there's really no good reason to have to rack the slide to get it into action. It should be carried in condition 1, IMHO.
    kmagnuss and Secret_Storm like this.
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

Quote Originally Posted by cockedlocked01 View Post
    Personally, I'd prefer to ankle carry (& did for many yrs) an enclosed hammer snub-nose revolver (In my case a S&W 442). With the right ankle holster, I don't find it that bulky. However, given your choices, I'd go for the P-3AT/LCP over the Colt (Or the Sig P238 for that matter). Why? You'd be surprised at how much gunk gets accumulated in ankle carry.

However, if you do ankle carry the Colt, I agree that there's really no good reason to have to rack the slide to get it into action. It should be carried in condition 1, IMHO.
    This.

I have ankle carried P3AT, J frame revo's and others but my most favored is a KT PF9, in a Uncle Mike's #3, at the end of the day when I take off my pants, whoops still got my bug, and it's 9mil besides. Just my .02 worth.

John
    zonker1986 and Secret_Storm like this.

Quote Originally Posted by old guy 2 View Post
    I have ankle carried P3AT, J frame revo's and others but my most favored is a KT PF9, in a Uncle Mike's #3, at the end of the day when I take off my pants, whoops still got my bug, and it's 9mil besides. Just my .02 worth.

John
    I love my PF9, but to me it is a belt gun. Too big for the pocket or an ankle rig.

the lcp is is a excellent choice,very reliable,light and accurate..of your three choices i'd go with the lcp..also,the lcr or a S&W 642/442 reeally aren't that bulky for ankle carry.i good holster makes all the differance...good luck
    Secret_Storm likes this.

None of those are good choices for ankle carry.

Ankle carry exposes the gun to lots of dirt and crud. Both the LCP and the P3at have an opening in the rear of the slide for the hammer, where crud can get into the gun.

The Pocketlite is properly carried with the hammer cocked, and the safety locked. That also exposes the rear of the slide to crud, and that crud can get between the hammer and firing pin, causing a misfire.

If you are going to ankle carry, use a striker fired gun, or one with a totally enclosed hammer.

Better yet - don't ankle carry. You cannot get to the gun while moving. Put your BUG in your pocket.
    Secret_Storm likes this.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

While ankle carry is an option, it certainly isn't anything extra special and is less convenient than pocket carry which, in itself is not optimal.

It's been so many years since I fooled with an ankle holster that mine for a Smith & Wesson Model 36 has gotten lost in the stuff around here.
    Secret_Storm likes this.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Maybe a Diamondback DB9?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links