New XD40 Subcompact owner --- questions about gun safety

This is a discussion on New XD40 Subcompact owner --- questions about gun safety within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey guys, Just turned 21, and for my 21st, my Father bought me an XD40SC with the 3" barrel (and one for himself too), along ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: New XD40 Subcompact owner --- questions about gun safety

New XD40 Subcompact owner --- questions about gun safety

Hey guys,

Just turned 21, and for my 21st, my Father bought me an XD40SC with the 3" barrel (and one for himself too), along with a couple of Galco King-Tuck holsters.We are taking our CCW course later this month.

I've been shooting with my dad, since I've been 18. I've shot a Beretta M9 and Colt 1911 so far. Both of which have thumb safeties. The XD does not have a thumb safety, and it makes me a little nervous. So my question is, to XD owners, how safe are the XDs? I'm afraid that during the draw stroke, or the reholster, I'm going to actuate the trigger.

Is this a good, safe weapon for CCW?

Let me know, guys, thanks!

2. Remove Ads

personially i like a saftey on my carry gun but many carry without safties

I carry a XD 5" almost every day.(Unless I am in need of the utmost discretion then I choose something more adapted for pocket carry)

If handled properly they are as safe as any other firearm. Glock has been making pistols with no external safety for years, the back strap/grip safety is an additional safety feature on the XD that some like and some hate.

The factory trigger pull is between 5 1/2 and 7 lbs. IIRC it is not set light for a reason (not that 5 1/2 to 7 lbs. is heavy)as an extra safety measure.

Revolvers have no external safety and rely on the heavier pull as a safety.

You ask if it is a good safe weapon for carry,

yes it is a good weapon for carry and it is as safe as any modern firearm.

Just keep in mind how "safe" a firearm is has more to do with who is handling it than the firearm itself.
    sensei2 and Ram Rod like this.
    Mors est libertas

MALAD JUSTED

I just bought one yesterday, but in a 9. I'm practicing putting it IN the holster with my thumb on that ledge above the grip safety (forgive me, I don't know the terminology) so the grip safety doesn't get touched when holstering. When pulling it out, then I let my hand grip it, keeping my finger alongside the side of the gun, off the trigger as I always handled my old gun.

The XD's are as safe as any other gun. All you have to do is always be conscience of the trigger. It doesn't matter if your drawing, re-holstering, shooting or whatever. ALWAYS be conscience of the trigger.
    Lish and NH_Esau like this.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Distinguished Member Array sid1's Avatar
    Love my XD40 SC works great. your finger should be off the trigger when you reholster your weapon. the safety is two fold, fist the trigger safety the trigger safety locks the trigger from moving backward.
    The trigger can only be pulled if depressed together with the trigger safety lever. And second, the grip safety. Until the grip safety is depressed and deactivated, the gun will not fire even if the trigger is pulled.

Congratulations on a fine weapon as a gift!! Most guns are only as safe as the user regardless of how they operate. I have a couple of XD's and they are some of my favorites. The trigger safety along with the grip safety are very comforting to me with this gun. The key to competancy is to practice, practice, practice. Get some snap caps to make life easier on the firing pin and practice dry firing the gun while drawing from your selected carry method. This will help you master your weapon safely and with much less expense that actually shooting live rounds. Just remember the rules of safe handling of a firearm regardless of snap caps. You will do fine and will become very proficient with handling your firearm.

I own a XD9sc and my wife owns a XD40sc and we have no problems. Just keep your trigger finger straight and it won't go in the trigger guard. If you are worried about holstering don't engage the grip safety by gripping it below the safety or hold the grip with your fingers and don't use your palm so the grip safety won't engage.
    Courage is being scared to death - but saddling up anyway.

John Wayne

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    The XD's are as safe as any other gun. All you have to do is always be conscience of the trigger. It doesn't matter if your drawing, re-holstering, shooting or whatever. ALWAYS be conscience of the trigger.
    Yes, exactly this. You are the 'safety', not the firearm or its features.

Welcome.

"To blame a gun for a mans decision is to foolishly attribute free will to an inanimate object"- Colion Noir.

Quote Originally Posted by Lish View Post
    I just bought one yesterday, but in a 9. I'm practicing putting it IN the holster with my thumb on that ledge above the grip safety (forgive me, I don't know the terminology) so the grip safety doesn't get touched when holstering. When pulling it out, then I let my hand grip it, keeping my finger alongside the side of the gun, off the trigger as I always handled my old gun.
    IMO.....you're almost there. I always put my thumb on the back of the slide when re-holstering my Glocks and my trigger finger on the side of the slide. I've done this hundreds if not thousands of times with OWB holsters during USPSA meets without looking....it got to be a habit.
    I'm sure there are plenty of 'professional' instructional videos out there now that show you the best way to holster any pistol, and how to draw safely and effectively. I feel totally comfortable and safe carrying with one in the chamber and no external safeties other than the trigger safety. I carry a G27 appendix in the summer time mainly. Many guys hate to even think about that since doing without a hip bone might be more acceptable than doing without the sack.
    Concealed carry and re-holstering to me is pretty much a non-issue even though it may be a possibility. Just make sure you keep clothing out of the way with the weak hand and look your pistol back into the holster
    During the draw, it's highly unlikely that you could actuate the trigger without putting your finger in the trigger guard and all of the basic safety rules apply at the range and for real world scenarios.
    Best thing you can do is a lot of dry run practice until you feel confident that you'll never have a ND with your pistol. As most have already said.....you're pistol is as safe as you are with it. Pistol safety is about as basic as you can get. Find some good videos (plenty of them free), and do the dry practice as many times a day as you see fit. Matter of fact, start out doing your practice sessions in front of a full size mirror so you can see what you're doing. I supplied a link to a whole series of videos here a few years ago....surely they are still in the archives. I may try to find them again myself.

Well, that was back in 2008.....apparently the videos are gone along with the original website. It was FBN or Freedom Broadcast Network. Now Freedom Broadcasting Network.
    Excellent online (free) video courses
    Lish likes this.

I carry a full size XD40 in a MTAC Minotaur about half the time (J Frame in the pocket the other half). I appreciate the grip safety feature on the XD more and more. Finger is always off the trigger, and I also don't depress the grip safety. Once the slide starts moving into the holster and it is nearing the point of "locking in", I push the pistol in the rest of the way with my thumb on the back of the slide above the beavertail. Finger is away from the trigger, and the grip safety is not engaged. An XD will not fire if any one of these safeties is not engaged. I carry a round chambered at all times.

Great gift from your father.

Cheers!
    One Riot, One Ranger. Long live the Republic of Texas.

JOIN THE NRA AND DO IT TODAY!!

VIP Member
    The XD, as with any gun, is only as safe as the person using it. Remember, keep your finger off the trigger while drawing it, and keep your finger off the trigger while reholstering it. Unless the trigger is pulled, the gun is not going to go off.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Unless you have a hold of the grip, the grip safety won't disengage and unless you pull the trigger safety back enough at the same time, it won't shoot. That's the 2 safety mechanisms on an XD.

So, bottom line .... if you don't grip it to release the safety and you don't pull the trigger, it isn't going to shoot. So, don't do them both if you don't want it to shoot it.

Most of my guns have no safety at all of any kind. Never found it to be a problem as long as I keep my finger away from the trigger when I don't want to shoot it, or anything from snagging and pulling the trigger.

Keep your finger away from the trigger on any gun, safety or not, until you plan to pull it.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Well, cool. Thank you all, very much. I like the Snap Cap idea, I will try that out!
    Thanks.

Let me caveat the rest of this posting by saying that I have never owned, fired or handled an XD. However, there have been many things said on the issue of firearm safety in general. First, the most important safety on any firearm is the one between your ears. Second, following the four rules--religiously--will render any weapon safe.

1. Treat every weapon as if it's loaded.
    2. Never point a weapon at anything you aren't willing to kill or destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until the weapon is pointed downrange and you've made the decision to fire.
    4. Know your target and what is beyond it.

I have drilled these rules into my 12-year-old's head until they are second nature to him. I have no qualms about him handling any of my guns--safety or not.
    "Your mind is the weapon, all the rest are just tools." --gasmitty

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links