Defensive Carry banner

A Blog and Video on Recoil

1K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Ljutic 
#1 ·
Since I blog about small pistols, I get asked about recoil very frequently. Unfortunately, recoil is one of the most subjective things for me to comment on. I may find something pleasant to shoot that others might find intolerable. I know there's a real need for some visual demonstration of recoil, but up until this weekend I was at a loss for the tools to make it happen. This is my first attempt so I welcome any feedback you may have.

Full Story:
Pocket Guns and Gear: Recoil-Cam Returns

Just the Video:

#2 ·
Good video on the different recoils.

#3 ·
Nice video. You can see how the PM40 wants to tear itself out of your hand. I fired one once, and much prefer the 9mm in a package that small and light weight.

If you do such a video in the future, I would suggest you have a background that includes some markings so viewers can get a better idea of the backwards and upwards movement of each gun. Then, you can present each gun in turn, rather than all of them simultaneously - hard to watch so many things happening at the same time.

Finally, did you use the same 9mm ammo in all the 9mm guns? That would take that variable out of the equation.

Thanks for posting!

:thumbsup:

Oh, by the way...for gun folks, "FPS" = Feet per second, not "Frames" per second. Might want to try a new acronym... :lol:

#6 ·
Thanks for the feedback.

The PM40 really isn't that bad to shoot, but I could never figure out why I always felt the need to regrip. Now I know, so I can try to train and compensate, or just forget about it as a carry option.

It was almost impossible to get lined up the same way every time. My thoughts agree with yours on a gridded background (aka Mythbusters) and some type of jig I can position myself into so I only have to worry about the camera position and not so much about getting myself positioned properly. I foresee a trip to Lowe's or Home Depot in my future.

Tough call on the 4-Up video vs each one in series. It would make the video over 5 minutes long if I ran them in series. More to consider for the future. :smile:

All the 9's were fed Winchester White Box 115 grain FMJ. I sent a bunch more down range before getting these shots so I was using the cheap stuff. Next time I'll try a more potent Defense loading. The PM40 was shooting Hornady Critical Duty.

#5 ·
Cool video, especially since it's the same person with the same (as much as possible) grip. Would be even cooler if you could superimpose them (either the entire firing sequence or just the image at max deflection) and compare muzzle flip, displacement, and time taken to return to target.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.