Brinks chooses the M&P

Brinks chooses the M&P

This is a discussion on Brinks chooses the M&P within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was getting coffee in my favorite stop and go and there was a Brinks guard, I guess that's what they're called, standing in front ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Brinks chooses the M&P

Senior Moderator

Brinks chooses the M&P

I was getting coffee in my favorite stop and go and there was a Brinks guard, I guess that's what they're called, standing in front of me in line. Of course, I couldn't help but take a look at what gun he was carrying and I recognized it as an M&P.

I asked him if it was an M&P and he confirmed that it was. I asked if that was a company or personal choice and he said the company had selected it.

It looked like a .45 grip to me, but I wasn't sure so I asked him if it was and he said, "Yes, it's .40." When I asked, he may have heard the forty part and not the five part. So I suspect it was a .40 caliber.

He indicated they tried the Glock and the M&P. I couldn't get any specifics as to how or why the decision was made to go for the M&P. It may be that they could get a better deal, or that the M&P was available with a thumb safety.

I know both are great SD guns, and one is just as reliable and accurate, etc. as the other.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

VIP Member
    Interesting.
    [Sarcasm on]
    Kinda suprised they aren't issued HK's.
    After all its the feds money
    [Sarcasm off]
    bigmacque likes this.
    I would rather die with good men than hide with cowards
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy."

M&Pc .357sig, 2340Sigpro .357sig

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by oneshot View Post
    Interesting.
    Yeah, and that's about it. One of those FWIW threads more than anything else.

[Sarcasm on]
    [Sarcasm off]
    I was gonna post an LOL in response to that, then I thought: that's not funny!
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    Interesting.
    [Sarcasm on]
    [Sarcasm off]
    That made me laugh.
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

sgb
    Brinks went to the S&W 4046TSW Nation Wide were allowable about 15 years ago. They began transitioning to the M&P 40 in 2006 when they ordered 2000 guns for Brinks Canada, standard ammunition is the 180gr Gold Dot, Standard holster was the Safariland 6280 and I believe is currently the 6360. Brinks is a FFL and has a LONG standing relationship with S&W and Remington.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

I was working there until April of this year.

in FL we use 9mm because of the limitations given by our statutues and security.

rest of the county uses the .40

great guns.

sgb
    Quote Originally Posted by taseal View Post
    I was working there until April of this year.

in FL we use 9mm because of the limitations given by our statutues and security.

rest of the county uses the .40

great guns.
    Are they still Issuing the 5946TSW or have they gone to the M&P 9?
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Im glad to see them with the m&p's

Quote Originally Posted by Tangle View Post
    Yeah, and that's about it. One of those FWIW threads more than anything else.
    It is what it is I reckon. Any further comments from me will require a publishing agency. Brinks...............LOL! Top of the line for $10 per hour. I've seen them go in and out of many establishments first hand. I would never carry the money bag in my strong hand like they do. Corporate decisions are just that. I've seldom worked for any company that provides tools. Okay....Ha...Ha. I'm laughing now.

Distinguished Member Array Knightrider's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 9mmHP View Post
    Im glad to see them with the m&p's
    I'm glad to see them with an auto and not a wheel gun like other guards have. The courts guards in Detroit still have model 10 smith and wessons (I think)
    Glock: G22 .40 S&W and G23 .40 S&W Sig Sauer: P938 9mm Smith and Wesson: Model 437 .38 Spl, Model 65 357 Mag, and Sigma SW9VE 9mm

I'm glad to see them with an auto and not a wheel gun

Why is that? Not to be argumentative, but guns after all is said and done, are tools. Most people in professions requiring the daily carry of guns actually are not "into" guns, and the revolver is arguably the easiest weapon to master and much less likely to have failures, misfeeds, jams, etc. happen as a result of their simplicity.

Revolvers are not obsolete, and some of the best shooters in the world use them...I have as many wheel-guns as I do semi-automatics, and of all the guns I have owned and fired, the only malfuctions I have ever encountered were with semi-automatics. Personally, I'd take a 5-shot S&W j-frame over a .380 sometimes fire semi-auto any day...in fact, my plan tomorrow is to trade my DB380 for a S&W airweight....and I think I'm trading up in many ways!

Distinguished Member Array Knightrider's Avatar
    I think a wheel gun has no place in any uniform duty. 6 shoots and you need a reload.... anyone that is willing to take a shot at a police officer or guard is willing to go all the way with whatever their plans are. A revolver is harder to use than a semi auto simply do to the extra skill it takes to reload one. I am not one of those 3 shots is enough type of guy, I live in the real world and know that if I'm going to have to shoot, I may have to reload...... even if its just to have a fresh mag or ammo in the gun. Clearing a jam in a auto is not hard, clearing a jam in a wheel gun maybe impossible, more so if you are in a fight. Not in uniform, then a wheel gun is more in its place, if you have to use it, odds are is that the BG(s) didn't even think you had a gun to began with and would disengage from the fight. But once again, its a 50/50 shot.

I carry my wheel gun but when I go into the city, I have my auto with me..... uniform or not. There is a reason why police stepped away from revolvers.
    Glock: G22 .40 S&W and G23 .40 S&W Sig Sauer: P938 9mm Smith and Wesson: Model 437 .38 Spl, Model 65 357 Mag, and Sigma SW9VE 9mm

A lot of agencies have gone to the M&P's, due to the ergonomics and adjustable grip sizing. Atlanta PD carries them.

Knightrider: let me address some of your "points" one at a time:

6 shoots and you need a reload 6 shots is more than adequate for 95% of all shooting incidents. Most have less than 3 shots fired total.

A revolver is harder to use than a semi auto simply do to the extra skill it takes to reload one ...what? putting a round into a hole in the cylinder is more difficult than removing a magazine? A loaded magazine is faster, but no more difficult than reloading a revolver. Unless you lack a finger or three.

clearing a jam in a wheel gun maybe impossible I have no idea what you are saying. I have never seen a JAM in a revolver. Not sure it is even possible.

The only reason agencies stepped away from the revolver is capacity. Not because a semi-auto is easier to master, or safer to carry. IF someone developed a revolver with a 15-round cylinder that maintained close to the same shape, size and weight of current revolvers, every agency on the planet would still be using them.

Part of the problem is the perception that having 15 rounds available to you makes you better prepared to face a shooting situation. 15 rounds in the dirt or into innocent by-standers is not better than 6-shots on-target. In fact, 6-shots might be preferable, as it requires you to be accurate. However, if you are more comfortable with a "spray and pray" resolution, I just ask that I not be downrange. Just for grins, why don't you look into some of the many Ghetto shootings where more than 10 rounds were fired...you usually find that either an innocent bystander was hit, or more likely, NOBODY was hit.

I have and carry a Glock 19, with 15+ rounds at the ready....but I am more than comfortable carrying my S&W 13 or 10 or even 37 with a mere 5 rounds... it's all about being able to hit your target, and my money is on the fact that if confronted with multiple thugs, and I hit 3 or 4 attackers, any of the remaining thugs will be making dust and looking for a place to hide. And I don't have to have 15 rounds to accomplish that.

Senior Member Array IAm_Not_Lost's Avatar
    I have to agree with toolda on this one; the best gun is the one your most proficient with, be it hi cap semi or revolver. There are a few cops in my area that still rock the S&W .38's as they have been grandfathered in, and I have just as much confidence in them as I do in a cop carrying a polymer wonder.
    "Brilliant. So now we got a huge guy theory, and a serial crusher theory. Top notch. What's your name?" - Paul Smecker

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links