G19: Gen.3 or GEN.4?

G19: Gen.3 or GEN.4?

This is a discussion on G19: Gen.3 or GEN.4? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Having foolishly let my Gen. 3 go, I'm looking for another 19. With all that's been said about the above, what is the real scoop ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 37
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: G19: Gen.3 or GEN.4?

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Array Philly Boy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio.
    Posts
    1,119

    G19: Gen.3 or GEN.4?

    Having foolishly let my Gen. 3 go, I'm looking for another 19. With all that's been said about the above, what is the real scoop of the 3 vs. 4 Gen? I had a 3 and it was great. My LGS guy has a 4 and loves it. Spring trouble still with the 4? Thanks.
    Chicken Little? Who the heck is Chicken Little? And what does she know, anyway?!

    " The will of the majority, the natural law of every society, is the only sure guardian of the rights of man." Thomas Jefferson.


  2. #2
    VIP Member Array Rollo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    3,007
    I don't dislike the gen 4's but I see no reason to deviate from the gen 3's. I did the same thing you did but I did it about 1 1/2 years ago. When I recently decided to re-purchase another 19 I specifically purchased a gen 3 as I personally feel that it was the most proven iteration.
    Philly Boy likes this.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

  3. #3
    Senior Moderator
    Array Tangle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Chattanooga
    Posts
    9,809
    Well, here are some things to consider. Right up front, I'll say I much prefer a gen 4.

    The Gen 4 has a smaller grip and has adjustable backstraps
    The Gen 4 has a reversible mag release and even though I'm right handed, I've reversed all my mag releases
    The Gen 4 has a larger mag release.
    The Gen 4 has a significantly lighter trigger due to the dot connector Glock has gone to. The dot is very close to a 3.5# connector.
    The Gen 4 has an improved grip texture
    The Gen 3 is no longer in production
    The Gen 4 recoil spring is about $20; the Gen 3 about $5.

    I have 3100 rounds through two G17 Gen 4 Glocks and have yet to see a malfunction of any kind.

    Just some thoughts.
    Philly Boy likes this.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

  4. #4
    VIP Member Array zonker1986's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Orlando, Florida
    Posts
    3,611
    pretty sure Glock Generation 3's are still in production. My understanding is the Glock will continue Gen 3 production with no plans to discontinue. This is based on info from a while ago. Hope that has not changed. If they do discontinue Glock Generation 3 models, I will become an M&P Fanboy.
    Philly Boy likes this.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

  5. #5
    Senior Moderator
    Array Tangle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Chattanooga
    Posts
    9,809
    Quote Originally Posted by zonker1986 View Post
    pretty sure Glock Generation 3's are still in production. My understanding is the Glock will continue Gen 3 production with no plans to discontinue. This is based on info from a while ago. Hope that has not changed. If they do discontinue Glock Generation 3 models, I will become an M&P Fanboy.
    My info came from FTF with the guy at my LGS that deals with Glock. The rep said Glock was no longer producing the gen 3s. That seems like it would be a pretty dependable source, but the rep could have it wrong or the dealer could have misunderstood. But, considering all, I suspect the info is pretty accurate.

    Glock has historically discontinued all previous gens when a new gen came out.

    I've already upgraded most of my gen 3s to gen 4s. I like the gen 4s much better.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

  6. #6
    VIP Member Array jonconsiglio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    Posts
    3,172
    I spoke to Glock a few months back specifically about the Gen 3, but I talk to a rep pretty regularly as well. They stated, as of 3 months ago, that they have no intention of discontinuing the Gen 3's. The Gen 4 was produced for a consumer want, not as an improvement to the Gen 3. That's the difference between previous generations where it was usually an upgrade. So, we shouldn't see the Gen 3 go any time soon.

    Recent production Gen 3's were also showing the same issues as the Gen 4's. It's an ejector issue with some since they switched designs/materials on all of those models. For a while, everyone blamed the recoil spring, then the extractor, then the ejector. It's getting squared away now. I forget the production dates that are good to go and which need fixed. I know any Glock armorer can get the new ejectors though or you can send it in.

    For the record, my daily carry is a Gen 4 17 with well over 6,000 rounds with no issues but a couple failures to eject early on with weaker ammo (forget exactly what I was shooting though), and I've tried four different recoil springs - the original, then changed to the 0-2 for no good reason. Then tried the Glockmeister for a couple weeks, then they sent me the 0-2 style but with the cutout to fit a little tighter in the slide since mine is early production and did not have the chamfer (or whatever it's called) for the recoil spring to sit in.

    I prefer the feel of the Gen 4 and the trigger of the Gen 3. I'll carry and shoot whatever is reliable though and for me, that's the ones I own. I am hesitant to pick up a 19 right now though, so I might look for a used Gen 3 with an older production date.
    Philly Boy likes this.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

  7. #7
    Ex Member Array oldrwizr's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Durham, N.C.
    Posts
    413
    Gun people are just like bikers. Some are ready to embrace the new and some cling to the old. When the Harley Evolution engine was replaced by the Twin Cam in 1999, some guys said they'd never own a TC because it had this problem and that problem yada-yada, and some guys still insist carbs are better than EFI. Whatever. It's your money. But what you want with it.

    P.S. I love my 88" TC engine with EFI and my Gen4 G23. My money, my choice, and I'm pleased all the way around.
    WHEC724, Tangle and Philly Boy like this.

  8. #8
    Senior Member Array RubenZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    RGV,Tx
    Posts
    560
    I love my Gen 4! and have had no problems whatsever
    Glock 20sf, Glock 19 gen4, Glock 26 gen3, Colt 1911 Series 80

  9. #9
    VIP Member
    Array MrBuckwheat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Down Incognito
    Posts
    6,520
    I like the way the Gen 3s fit in my hand. I got them new on sale for between $400-439.00. Nothing wrong with them. I don't think anything is bad about the Gen 4s just you will pay more, they do about the same thing.

  10. #10
    VIP Member Array SpencerB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Fort Bliss, Texas/Mesa, Arizona
    Posts
    4,301
    I have a gen 3 and love it but I have never shot a gen 4

  11. #11
    VIP Member Array jonconsiglio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    Posts
    3,172
    I like both. Like I said above, I carry a Gen 4 17 daily, but that's just because I needed a new Glock and they had a Gen 4 when I was looking. So, I grabbed one to try it out and it just became my daily carry. Of them all, I prefer an older production Gen 3 with a mild re-profiling of the grip and medium texturing. I've done it myself to my M&Ps, but not my Glocks for some reason.

    The only thing I don't like about the Gen 4's is the trigger. It doesn't feel as tight as the Gen 3. I normally don't think one should alter the trigger in a carry gun, so with Glocks I stick to factory configurations. The M&P will get the DCAEK kit and I'm trying the Apex trigger in the one I've been carrying the past two months, but that's the only handgun I'll carry with a modified trigger.

    I've tried the Gen 3 trigger bar, profiling the firing pin stop plunger (whatever it's called), polishing the surfaces, the Ghost connector, etc. I'm back to all factory again in all of my Glocks, I just wish the Gen 4's trigger was a little cleaner, like the Gen 3. I will say that I only really notice it when dry firing, which I do about 30 minutes every day between my carry gun and my ARs. Live fire, it's really not noticeable. Similar to the M&Ps reset, which sucks when dry firing, but tolerable with live fire.
    Philly Boy likes this.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

  12. #12
    Senior Moderator
    Array Tangle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Chattanooga
    Posts
    9,809
    Quote Originally Posted by jonconsiglio View Post
    I like both. Like I said above, I carry a Gen 4 17 daily, but that's just because I needed a new Glock and they had a Gen 4 when I was looking. So, I grabbed one to try it out and it just became my daily carry. Of them all, I prefer an older production Gen 3 with a mild re-profiling of the grip and medium texturing. I've done it myself to my M&Ps, but not my Glocks for some reason.

    The only thing I don't like about the Gen 4's is the trigger. It doesn't feel as tight as the Gen 3. I normally don't think one should alter the trigger in a carry gun, so with Glocks I stick to factory configurations. The M&P will get the DCAEK kit and I'm trying the Apex trigger in the one I've been carrying the past two months, but that's the only handgun I'll carry with a modified trigger.

    I've tried the Gen 3 trigger bar, profiling the firing pin stop plunger (whatever it's called), polishing the surfaces, the Ghost connector, etc. I'm back to all factory again in all of my Glocks, I just wish the Gen 4's trigger was a little cleaner, like the Gen 3. I will say that I only really notice it when dry firing, which I do about 30 minutes every day between my carry gun and my ARs. Live fire, it's really not noticeable. Similar to the M&Ps reset, which sucks when dry firing, but tolerable with live fire.
    Our triggers on our gen 4s must be completely different. I was very impressed with the lighter pull and crisp break. It does have a bit more drag/travel to the break than the M&P.

    The reset on my M&P is not even in the same ball park with my gen 4 Glock. My gen 4 has a short, very noticeable snap reset - you can hear and feel it in dry fire. My brand new M&P has the typical M&P mushy reset and a false reset 'notch'. The reset on an M&P is so bad that APEX makes a RAM kit to sharpen it up.

    By false notch, I mean I can release it and I feel it notch, which suggests it has reset, but it hasn't. You have to release it a bit more to get this nearly undetectable click and then it's reset. There's no doubt when my gen 4 trigger resets - it's an event.

    My M&P has an average trigger pull weight of 7 lbs 4 oz or 7.25 lbs. My dot connector in my gen 4 has an average trigger pull weight of 5 lbs 15 oz or 5.94 lbs - a difference of one and a third pounds or in percent, the M&P has a 22% heavier trigger pull.

    When I'm doing slow fire, I really feel that 7.25 lb trigger weight.

    However, all that being said, I have found I can live with the mushy M&P reset. I can't feel tactile reset in rapid fire on any gun, and in slow fire it doesn't much matter.
    Philly Boy likes this.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

  13. #13
    Ex Member Array Ram Rod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Fayetteville, AR
    Posts
    13,687
    I figure I can still get a 3rd gen pistol straight from the factory. Maybe even an RTF2.
    Get this....most of the long time Glock owners don't care for the 4th gen pistols at all. I listen to them every time I go to the range. The 4th generation pistols are for those who didn't like a Glock before, and maybe even not then. Glock really didn't need to change anything...it's just that they tried to meet market demands. Kind of like electing a new president this year. Who's gonna cry and who's gonna vote? I figure Glock listens to Glock owners first...then they look at what happened with copying the safe action, striker fired pistol and the strangely elusive and undetermined market here in the US.
    I personally think that Glock caved in to the weak minded and a world market at the same time. It's like me having a guest in my house from a foreign land and saying please do not throw your toilet paper on the floor or in the trash......we have a sewer system here and don't wish to spread disease.
    I don't need a 4th gen Glock.....my 3rd gens will last me and my heirs until the world is no more. I gots plenty of ammo to go with.
    4th gen Glock to compete with what exactly? I'll bet the whole deal hinged on the US market. We're such sissies here compared to the rest of the world. Simply put....we may have more money to spend on trivial things so hence the market is made.
    zonker1986 and Philly Boy like this.

  14. #14
    VIP Member
    Array WHEC724's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    SC
    Posts
    6,536
    Quote Originally Posted by oldrwizr View Post
    Gun people are just like bikers. Some are ready to embrace the new and some cling to the old. When the Harley Evolution engine was replaced by the Twin Cam in 1999, some guys said they'd never own a TC because it had this problem and that problem yada-yada, and some guys still insist carbs are better than EFI. Whatever. It's your money. But what you want with it.

    P.S. I love my 88" TC engine with EFI and my Gen4 G23. My money, my choice, and I'm pleased all the way around.
    'Very true words. I'm also one of the blasphemers who's had a trouble-free 88" TC/EFI since 2005. Honestly, the main reason why I'm staying Gen3 is that I have a bunch of Gen3's that work perfect for me, and an armory of spare parts to keep them going long past I'm gone. I just want one more G19, and I want the recoil spring/etc. to be compatible with what I already have. After that, I see no need to buy more Glocks, as what I have will last.
    Tangle likes this.
    __________________________________
    'Clinging to my guns and religion

  15. #15
    Senior Moderator
    Array Tangle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Chattanooga
    Posts
    9,809
    Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    ...most of the long time Glock owners don't care for the 4th gen pistols at all. I listen to them every time I go to the range.
    That's not the impression from posts from this board. Going by posts in this thread, people like the gen 4s. The gen 4s really brought me back into the Glock camp.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    ...The 4th generation pistols are for those who didn't like a Glock before,
    That's a completely unsupported assumption. I bet we heard the very same thing when Glock introduced the gen 3s.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    ...Glock really didn't need to change anything...it's just that they tried to meet market demands...
    Wow, what a crime, try to meet market demands, boy who wants a company that tries to meet demands. I guess it's true, they did the same thing when they introduced the gen 2, again with the gen 3, and now again with the gen 4.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    ...I personally think that Glock caved in to the weak minded and a world market at the same time.
    Kind like they did when they introduced the gen 2 and gen 3 when there was nothing wrong with the gen 1. Who but the weak minded wanted all those finger grooves and rails?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    ...4th gen Glock to compete with what exactly?
    The M&P. M&P is cutting into the Glock market. I can't say how seriously it is, but it is significant.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    ... I'll bet the whole deal hinged on the US market. We're such sissies here compared to the rest of the world.
    According to another post in another thread, Glock does NOT listen to the US market. The large bulk of their sales is to militaries and police forces all over the world. If Glock listened to the US, where's all the single stack 9mms we've been begging for?

    Sissies? You think a bit more aggressive grip finish, interchangeable backstraps, finger grooves, rails makes us sissies? Then the same can be said for H&K, M&P, and Sig. The very same applies when Glock went from the gen 2 without rails and finger grooves to the gen 3 with rails and finger grooves. Is that when you became a sissy?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    ...Simply put....we may have more money to spend on trivial things so hence the market is made.
    Or maybe we know more about guns.
    OD* likes this.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

g19 gen 3
,

g19 gen 3 vs gen 4

,
g19 gen 4 vs gen 3
,

g19 vs g19 gen 4

,
gen 3 g19
,
gen 3 g19 vs gen 4 g19
,
gen 3 or gen 4
,
gen 3 or gen 4 g19
,
ghost 3.5 trigger glock in g17
,

glock 19 gen 3 vs gen 4

,

glock dot connector

,
glock gen 4 dot connector
Click on a term to search for related topics.

» Log in

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» DefensiveCarry Sponsors