Sig P229 SAS Gen-1 Dilemma

This is a discussion on Sig P229 SAS Gen-1 Dilemma within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello to all. I own a few limited edition Sigs, including a couple of P229 SAS Gen-1, the original model, NIB (40's) with extra mags. ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By archer51

Thread: Sig P229 SAS Gen-1 Dilemma

Sig P229 SAS Gen-1 Dilemma

Hello to all. I own a few limited edition Sigs, including a couple of P229 SAS Gen-1, the original model, NIB (40's) with extra mags. Am considering getting rid of one to get different models. I cannot find any advertised new or used. Can someone please help determine today's value to help me make a decision.

Thanks, basedthere.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by basedthere View Post
    Hello to all. I own a few limited edition Sigs, including a couple of P229 SAS Gen-1, the original model, NIB (40's) with extra mags. Am considering getting rid of one to get different models. I cannot find any advertised new or used. Can someone please help determine today's value to help me make a decision.

Thanks, basedthere.
    I love Sig pistols and have a few myself, but I don't see any real collectibility value in classic P series pistols. They're wonderful firearms......don't get me wrong, but they are still being produced in quite large volumes. Even Sig pistols no longer being built (i.e, P225) really do not command prices based on a collectable value. If it were my pistol, I'd look at the current retail price of similarly equipped Gen 2 P229's and go from there. If yours in new in the box and never been fired, you can expect to receive top dollar.

Yeah I look at the 229 as a modern firearm therefore you should get good value being what it is but most likely not collectible value.

http://www.topgunsupply.com/sig-saue...da-sa-srt.html

^^^Found one for you.

Thanks for your comments; please keep them coming. The original P229 SAS ( Sig Anti Snag) version has a more complete dehorning melt treatment including the hammer and comes in two tone with Sig wood grips and has a "DAK" constant D/A trigger system unlike the Gen 2, that comes with a DA/SA mechanism. The night sites are common to both guns. From just the concealed carry point of view the original version is more anti snag than the gen-2. Shouldn't the scarceness of the gun reflect in a higher price than the current version would command? Still looking on the internet and only see P229's Gen 2; not a single Gen 1 around. If I cannot get considerably more than I paid for these, I'll just keep them both. Together on a dual over the shoulder leather harness (with extra mags on the belt) they make for a very impressive heavy carry outfit that's just plain nice to own. Hard to beat in reliability and firepower as well.

basedthere

South of Ol' Tascosa, two miles from water, twenty miles from Hell
    I have about 16 Sigs, why?
    Because I don't sell them.

Jungle Work
    Graduate: University of South Vietnam-
    School of Jungle Warfare

CURRAHEE My Brothers In Blood

mkh
    Check out the Sig forum as they will be able to help you. I have 3 Sigs and will buy more when my wife lifts my gun buying ban but I'm no expert.

VIP Member
    The only way your going to get "significantly more" than what you paid for it, is if you can find someone who desperately wants it. While you might get what you paid for it, since it is NIB, I doubt you'll get much more.
    kmagnuss likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Well, I think you have a rare gun. You don't see these for sale much. Similar to the Gen. 1 P239 DAK/SAS these are also hard to find and bring top dollar. But I do agree with Archer I don't thnk you will get significantly more than you paid.
    K9, Colt 3 5 7
    Colt Python 6",4", 2.5"
    Sig P225
    Sig P239 SAS/DAK
    Colt Diamondback
    Colt Trooper .357

Thanks to all.

Before going on, a salute to Jungle Work and Archer 51.

Since listening to your comments, there seems to be a consencis that today's value of this P229 is not going to merit the effort or loss of getting rid of one; to your point Jungle Work. Archer51, NIB with the original packing grease still on them; how about that for a fan. Got2Have1, I guess you echoed the aforementioned members comments and summed it up. MKH, it's good to hear that there are folks out there that have managed to get beyond some constraints that we share; an example to strive for, to be certain.

I'm still thinking that there's a factor not getting due consideration. I clearly recall a post on a gun blog approximately two years ago ( I believe it was on Guns America), that was written by a proud new owner of a used P229 original model; where he stated that he paid $975.00 and could not imagine what a NIB one would cost. Maybe that fellow overpaid, but the fact that there are zero out there, has to be a factor. Non the less, your like comments certainly paint a realistic picture of the value. If that remains the consensus, I'm keeping them both.

basedthere

Update

Sorry for bumping this, but I just came across this ad listing the Gen 1 at $840, which may help you decide.

ARMSLIST - For Sale: Like new: P229 Sig Sauer SAS-Gen 1; .40 S & W

For the record, I bought a Gen 1 from another officer at work a a little over a year ago. I don't think he knew what he had, I sure didn't; he sold it to me for $500 which included 2 Galco leather belt holsters, 3 mags, and about 300 rds of ammo each in .357 SIG and .40 S&W (since it has both barrels). I did a quick bit of research and couldn't find any prices, but I liked the gun so much I just bought it. It was in pristine condition, maybe 100 rounds through it. I've been shooting my issued Sig 229 for 20+ years and fell in love with the SAS. I have thin but wide hands and long fingers, so compact guns just don't fit me well. With its thick handle and wood grips, it just fit me like a glove. While I could turn a very nice profit, this one will be in my collection til it passes down to my son :)

Hope this helps.

Jay

Links